• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation Sarria - Santiago in May

eamann

Time of past OR future Camino
2024 Le Puy - Cahors + Saint-Jean - León
The first and last time I walked from Sarria to Santiago was in 2005. Since then I have always avoided that route by walking to Santiago via Ourense.

In the coming month of May I plan to follow the Sarria path once more, for old time's sake, this being perhaps my last camino. Being concerned about the difficulty in finding accommodation, I have just studied on Gronze the list of albergues in the various towns and villages along the Way and I am flabbergasted at the wealth of accommodation on offer! To take an example, in Villafranca del Bierzo there are eight albergues and twelve hostales/pensiones.

Would I be right to deduce from the above that, even though there will be a lot of walkers on the Way in the first half of May, it should not be too difficult to find accommodation, especially if I avoid the Brierly guide end of stages and, if need be, pay extra for a bed in a hostal or pension?

Thanks in advance for sharing your (recent) experience with me!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You'll probably get a lot of advice to book every night in advance.

But I'll say "just walk".

I've walked that section several times now since 2015, including main season (walked it july 2017, walked it august 2022, walked it may 2015) without any problem. 2019 had to skip from Ponferrada by train because I didn't have enough time, walked into an albergue in Santiago (in july!) at almost 10pm, got a bed at first albergue I tried.

The only troubles I ever had were last year, because I had a cat with me which I had found before Cebreiro, and many albergues didn't allow that of course.

But even *with* the cat I found accommodation on that path with some effort. And that was in august with the wild hordes walking in a constant conga line!

If you're fine with all kinds of accommodation (albergues including those with only mattress on the floor, pensiones, hotels...) I'd say you'll be fine, especially since you seem to be an experienced pilgrim. May is not *that* busy. I think you'll be okay.

Buen Camino peregrino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The first and last time I walked from Sarria to Santiago was in 2005. Since then I have always avoided that route by walking to Santiago via Ourense.

In the coming month of May I plan to follow the Sarria path once more, for old time's sake, this being perhaps my last camino. Being concerned about the difficulty in finding accommodation, I have just studied on Gronze the list of albergues in the various towns and villages along the Way and I am flabbergasted at the wealth of accommodation on offer! To take an example, in Villafranca del Bierzo there are eight albergues and twelve hostales/pensiones.

Would I be right to deduce from the above that, even though there will be a lot of walkers on the Way in the first half of May, it should not be too difficult to find accommodation, especially if I avoid the Brierly guide end of stages and, if need be, pay extra for a bed in a hostal or pension?

Yes, I think that’s a reasonable deduction. Everything that’s planning on opening this year will be fully open in May and, whilst you’ll certainly not be lonely, it’s not usually the busiest time of year.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Hello
I walked Morgarde to SDC May/June 2022 with my son-in-law and 2 granddaughters. We did not book ahead and found accommodation every night. The only place we had to walk on from was Palas de Rei as all the alberques were pretty full and could not take 4. I would mention that this was on a particularly rainy day so I think more people decided to stop there for the day but there were several places with space within 3 to 5 kilometres.
Buen Camino
Vince

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back