Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

Advice for getting bag from Porto to Algarve

slkenney

Year of past OR future Camino
Hello All! I will be one month in Portugal starting late Aug. First week is Lisbon & surrounding area, Coimbra, the Duoro Valley & Porto. The next 2 weeks I'll be walking the Camino from Porto to Santiago via coastal to central + spiritual variant. My final week will be in the Algarve region in Salema.

I will have a small piece of luggage which has needed clothing and such for the 2 weeks when I am not walking. Ideally I'd like to send that bag from Porto to my accommodations in Salema so I can then fly from Santiago to the Algarve without having to come back to Porto to retrieve my bag.

Any suggestions for getting my bag from Porto to Salema that are high confidence and reasonable price?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Published on Amazon
Guide to the 16 main caminos with maps, pictures, hyperlinks and other information.
John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.

Raggy

Veteran Member
If you've booked accommodation in Salema, you may want to contact them to see if they can store your bag for the weeks that you are walking the camino. If you only have clothes, without valuables, I guess that ordinary postal service and storage by the owner of the accommodation may be adequate.

trecile

Camino Addict
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Not exactly answering your question but Tuitrans will transport your luggage from Porto to Santiago on any of the main Portugues routes so that you can then fly with it direct from Santiago to Faro. Not sure how price would compare to mailing it to your Algarve accommodation but it is another option.
Possibly the best solution might be to send your bag to Santiago with Tuitrans instead of sending it to Algarve. Then you simply bring it with you on your flight.

Portuguese Coastal (2018)
Portuguese Coastal, with Spiritual Variant (2019)
In 2018, my wife and I used the Portuguese postal service, CTT, to mail a box of clothes and other items from Porto to Casa Ivar in Santiago before embarking on our Camino. The box arrived at its destination without problems. I can't remember how much we spent but we felt it was reasonable. We also liked that we could track the package.

John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

slkenney

If you've booked accommodation in Salema, you may want to contact them to see if they can store your bag for the weeks that you are walking the camino. If you only have clothes, without valuables, I guess that ordinary postal service and storage by the owner of the accommodation may be adequate.
Thank you. I'll look into postal service option.

slkenney

Not exactly answering your question but Tuitrans will transport your luggage from Porto to Santiago on any of the main Portugues routes so that you can then fly with it direct from Santiago to Faro. Not sure how price would compare to mailing it to your Algarve accommodation but it is another option.
Thank you for the suggestion. I looked at TuiTrans website and they appear to focus on moving baggage between Porto or Tui and SDC while walking the route. I did send an inquiry to see if they could help with my need for getting a bag from Porto to the Algarve.

slkenney

In 2018, my wife and I used the Portuguese postal service, CTT, to mail a box of clothes and other items from Porto to Casa Ivar in Santiago before embarking on our Camino. The box arrived at its destination without problems. I can't remember how much we spent but we felt it was reasonable. We also liked that we could track the package.
Thank you. Great to hear you had a positive experience with Portuguese postal service. Will check CTT.

miguel_gp

Veteran Member
Thank you for the suggestion. I looked at TuiTrans website and they appear to focus on moving baggage between Porto or Tui and SDC while walking the route. I did send an inquiry to see if they could help with my need for getting a bag from Porto to the Algarve.
That is their main line of business but the website also says that they can transfer direct to Santiago, although with no price quoted. Hope you get it sorted one way or the other.

LesR

Camino Frances 2017, 2018; Camino Portuguese 2019
Same experience here - mailed a box of clothes from Lisbon to Ivar in Santiago while I walked CP 2019 - all went well and the cost was quite reasonable (17 euro from memory). I bought the box in the Lisbon Post Office, and the staff there sealed it up for me - they were very helpful... I presume the postal service would similarly take it to your accomdaation in Salema...

Published on Amazon
Guide to the 16 main caminos with maps, pictures, hyperlinks and other information.
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Donaldclive

I did the same before the Sureste in 2019. The main Post office was very helpful and they even had various sized boxes for sale to put stuff in if you need it.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads