• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice on November / December 2021 - v. worried about travel feasibility!!

AndyA

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances
Hello,

Could you please give me advice on two things:

1. Can you please recommend a transfer service from Biarritz
airport to St. Jean Pied de Port? I arrive in Biarritz on Sunday
afternoon, Nov 7.

2. I am planning on hiking the full Camino de Santiago (Frances), starting on
Monday, Nov 8. Should I be worried about finding a room for the entire
trip? It's difficult for me to make reservations because I have no idea how fast I will walk. I
am an athlete, so I expect to complete the Camino faster than the
typical 30 days.

So, I'd prefer to just walk until evening and then knock on doors to
find a hotel. Because it is November and possibly early December, I'm
a little concerned. And I do not speak Spanish or French.

Thank you for your help and thoughts....perhaps I should not be worried? Or should I cancel and do it another time?

Andy

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
While it is possible to walk the Camino Frances to Santiago at this time of year, it is much more complicated than during the regular “season” of May-October. Add to that COVID and you will find accommodations more difficult to find and more expensive than what you may have read in the past. The same with taxis, bag courier services, and transport to SJPdP.

You won’t need to know French after the first day, but some Spanish would be helpful if you end up in a village without the usual accommodation. Sometimes a bar or a resident will offer you a bed or a mattress, but you won’t understand if you don’t speak the language. Though English is spoken by many along the route, once tourist and pilgrim season ends, many of those folks leave, too. If you have a cell phone with service, Google Translate can be a real lifesaver.

Additionally, you will definitely need cold weather gear including a good sleeping bag even if you plan to sleep inside every night. Many accommodations turn off the heat each evening and winter has definitely arrived in Spain (snow is currently falling in the Pyrenees. Foul weather will definitely slow your progress, so do not be overly ambitious of finishing in less than 30 days.

I am certainly not telling you to NOT walk a winter camino, just that you definitely need to prepare for it and realize that your options will be much more limited than the usual ones you hear about on this forum. If you want solitude, you’ll have it. Cold? Definitely. An easy way? Likely not.

Buen Camino on whatever you decide. I am sure many of the winter walkers on Ivar will have a lot of helpful suggestions for you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you have a cell phone with service, Google Translate can be a real lifesaver.
If you download the Spanish file in GoogleTranslate it will work offline without cell service or Wi-Fi.

Andy, if I have understood you, this will be your first camino. Buen camino and welcome to the forum. I have no winter camino experience, but that isn't going to stop me from saying go for it. Don't forget to keep us all posted on your camino!

The transfer service you are looking for is called Express Bourricot. I have never used them but many pilgrims group up to save money on their fares by sharing the service. If you find yourself trying to use the service as a solo traveller, you may want to consider an hotel in Byaonne and the train to SJPdP first thing the next morning. The bus from the airport to Bayonne is 1 euro.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There is a train on Sunday evening that might fit your plans. 8pm from Bayonne

1. 18:51
    Travel time between these 2 stops :12 min12 minutes

Biarritz
    Train TGV INOUI N°8550
    To Paris Montparnasse Hall 1 &2
    Non-stop
    View details
  2. 19:03
    Travel time between these 2 stops :58 min58 minutes

BAYONNE
    Waiting at station
  3. 20:01
    Travel time between these 2 stops :1h1 hours

Bayonne
    Train TER N°867323
    To Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port
    6 stopsView details
  4. 21:01

Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port

Check the SNCF site / Renfe for Spain

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
To add a little background to my earlier post:

I walked from Biarritz to Bilbao in late September. Covid had closed most of the public albergues and many of the religious ones, so inexpensive beds were hard to find. Many of the places I stayed said they would close for the season at the end of October or sooner. There would be hotel beds still, but at a cost.

I walked the Camino Portuguese Central route in late October. Albergue spots were available without reservation, but several stated that they would be closing on October 31.

I am currently serving as the hospitalero in Canfranc on the Camino Aragones. This village is the equivalent of Roncesvalles for those crossing the Somport Pass on this Camino route. We close for the season on December 1st. Several of the albergues on this route are already closed and pilgrims are having to really rethink their plans so that they end up in a community with a place to stay before it gets too dark and too cold. Outside there are snow flurries and the wind chill is biting.

I encouraged the few pilgrims we have had to keep walking, but there was a palpable concern from them as to whether that would be possible on the CA as well as when it joins the CF. This is a different year than past winter Caminos - COVID closures or reductions are still in effect and will affect you.

I say all this only to make you aware of the challenge you are undertaking. If you are capable of meeting it, then walk on! I applaud your initiative. I just think having the full story of the current conditions is really important at this time.

I say all this only to make you aware of the challenge you are undertaking. If you are capable of meeting it, then walk on! I applaud your initiative. I just think having the full story of the current conditions is really important at this time.
Good response. We cannot answer the following questions for Andy.

perhaps I should not be worried? Or should I cancel and do it another time?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
THANK YOU everyone so much for all of your replies. There is much wisdom here. The closes thing I did to this was a 3 week trek in Nepal. It was grueling because of the altitude, but I never had to worry much about accommodation. And, I met many people along the way and that camaraderie made many memories. As much as I want this pilgrimage to be introspective, I fear that worrying about money and hotels the entire way will make it more work than peace. I've debated looking at Portugal too, but my gut tells me I should take a deep breath and plan this for another time. Again, THANK YOU for all the detailed replies. What a great group of people - it makes me look forward to the day I'll do the trek all the more.

God bless.

Andy

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
THANK YOU everyone so much for all of your replies. There is much wisdom here. The closes thing I did to this was a 3 week trek in Nepal. It was grueling because of the altitude, but I never had to worry much about accommodation. And, I met many people along the way and that camaraderie made many memories. As much as I want this pilgrimage to be introspective, I fear that worrying about money and hotels the entire way will make it more work than peace. I've debated looking at Portugal too, but my gut tells me I should take a deep breath and plan this for another time. Again, THANK YOU for all the detailed replies. What a great group of people - it makes me look forward to the day I'll do the trek all the more.

God bless.

Andy
Good decision IMHO.

Good decisions are based on experience. Experience is based on bad decisions.

God bless.

Andy
AndyA: Here's a copy of my personal packing list for Camino. I prefer to walk it during the non-peak times of the year - Oct/Nov and April/May. Key to plan for is bad weather if you don't mind walking in blowing cold rain. I'm walking the full CF to Muxia from 4 Apr to 12 May in 21 weeks. Hope this helps your planning. If you have Qs, send me separate message. Cheers.

Attachments

• Bullinger Camino Packing List 2022 actual.pdf
    311.4 KB · Views: 37
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello,

Could you please give me advice on two things:

1. Can you please recommend a transfer service from Biarritz
airport to St. Jean Pied de Port? I arrive in Biarritz on Sunday
afternoon, Nov 7.

2. I am planning on hiking the full Camino de Santiago (Frances), starting on
Monday, Nov 8. Should I be worried about finding a room for the entire
trip? It's difficult for me to make reservations because I have no idea how fast I will walk. I
am an athlete, so I expect to complete the Camino faster than the
typical 30 days.

So, I'd prefer to just walk until evening and then knock on doors to
find a hotel. Because it is November and possibly early December, I'm
a little concerned. And I do not speak Spanish or French.

Thank you for your help and thoughts....perhaps I should not be worried? Or should I cancel and do it another time?

Andy
Hi Andy
I don't know if this will help but here goes. Do not think just because you are an athlete you will gain some magical advantage walking the Camino. I did my first Camino in 2013 for my 60th birthday. I was a 14.17 5k and 29.58 10k runner at my best. Even at 60 I was still running sub-18-minute 5ks. It took me 33 straight days to walk Camino Frances even with that level of fitness. You will be carrying a pack and walking with poles. The ground and terrain vary widely. My regime was to set off between 6 and 7 in the morning walk for 2 hours and stop for breakfast. Walk 2 more hours and stop for lunch. during the lunch stop I would assess how I felt, consult the guide book and choose an albergue to aim for later that day with a reserve in mind in case it was full. You will not need French although some Spanish is useful but not essential. (I have enough to get by.) I have now been on the Camino 4 times and have never booked an alberque; Only on a handful of occasions have I failed to get accommodation at the albergue of my choice and had to press on a little further. (However, that is why it is good to have a backup in mind)
Buen Camino
Vince

I haven’t walked in the winter, but just finished my 5th time on the Camino Frances. Be sure to carry food and water. In the past I could usually stop every 5-7km but there are many closed bars, albergues and tiendas due to COVID. There were days I ate potato chips from my pack for lunch. Add the winter closings and I’m afraid you will need to do some planning.

You may know this already but if not ...

The Napoleon route is closed for the season. You will have to walk the variant way through Valcarlos to get to Roncesvalles.

Buen camino.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back