• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice on qualification for Compostela from Tui, Spain

DoughnutANZ

Ka whati te tai ka kai te tōreapango
Time of past OR future Camino
2019, 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027 & 2028.
I have walked the Camino Madrid to Sahagún, then the Camino Frances from Sahagún to O Cebrerio where I will be tomorrow night.

I walked O Cebrerio to Santiago de Compostela in 2019 and so I am considering an alternative entry to Santiago.

I thought that I might bus to Tui and walk from there to Santiago de Compostela.

I have already collected my Madrid certificate and I already have a Compostela for the Frances and so I don't care about another Frances Compostela but I am wondering if the route from Tui is recognised by the Pilgrims Office.

I realise that if I walked from Portugal it would be but I can't be bothered going further than Tui.

Is Tui to Santiago de Compostela a recognised route for the Pilgrims Office if I collect my two stamps per day?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I realise that if I walked from Portugal it would be but I can't be bothered going further than Tui.
Just to say that Tui and Valença are separated by a bridge over the Miño/Minho. There are great views from the bridge, and it looks like an Eiffel project, but I think that’s been debunked. Valença also has a pretty cool fort/fortress.

Not that you need any more distance to add to your total, but its a prettier than average way to spend 15 or 20 minutes.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just spotted this article published a few minutes ago. Pointing out that when the numbers for Tui and Valenca are added together as the "Eurocidade" then they are second only to Sarria as a starting point for those who receive a Compostela.

When you get to Tui it’s worth the short walk over the bridge to Valença - it takes minus 30 minutes to get there and an hour and a half to get back.

The restaurant on your right at the end of the bridge serves a competent menú del dia and the cheapest beer you’ll find for the remainder of your trip.

Valença has more and bigger supermarkets than a town of that size justifies. There is a good deal of cross-border retail trade with (at least earlier this year) motor fuel going the other way.

As a first for me I blogged the trip on ‘find penguins’

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you opt for Valença do Minho you can pass through the splendid 17th c. Fortress which resembles a small town. Within the fortress the Pousada de Valença, aka Sao Teotonio Pousada, is a charming hotel where my husband and I have often stayed in a room with a river/bridge view. From the garden of the Pousada you can reconnect to the camino path for the famous International Bridge leading north to Tui, Spain.
Happy planning!

I have walked the Camino Madrid to Sahagún, then the Camino Frances from Sahagún to O Cebrerio where I will be tomorrow night.

I walked O Cebrerio to Santiago de Compostela in 2019 and so I am considering an alternative entry to Santiago.

I thought that I might bus to Tui and walk from there to Santiago de Compostela.

I have already collected my Madrid certificate and I already have a Compostela for the Frances and so I don't care about another Frances Compostela but I am wondering if the route from Tui is recognised by the Pilgrims Office.

Is Tui to Santiago de Compostela a recognised route for the Pilgrims Office if I collect my two stamps per day?
Not that I have any pertinent information, I just want to congratulate you on a few things.
One, for the consistent step by step pilgrimage on your various caminos, including your retreat in Sto Domingo de Silos. (People, the honey and morcilla from there are so worth receiving as gifts!).
Two, for taking the great trouble of detouring to come visit me in Zabaldika, it was a privilege to meet you in person.
Three, for the amount of incredible looking dessert cakes you have shared with us, vicariously!
Do cross back to Valença, you could find a wonderful Portuguese mixed plate of delightful cakes to make us all jealous.
So good to think of you still walking over there, nearby, before you sit into your return plane, home to the Antipodes.

Yes it is. We just did it and received the certificate!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There a very nice Parador in Tui. Well worth the extra cost for a drink and a look around.

You don't need to do that. The minimum distance can be achieved from Vigo or Porrino. Vigo might be a little easier to get to by bus/train. Valenca looks reasonably well connected by bus and it's a short walk to the fort to get a credential and your first stamp there.

I am in Tui now. Actually, I am across the border (as suggested by @henrythedog) just finished a late lunch.

I did think about walking from Vigo last night as the place that I stayed at was right on the Camino and I followed the golden arrows as I walked up the hill to my accommodation.

When I checked the walking distance from Vigo to Santiago de Compostela, more or less, following the Camino track Google said that the distance was 86klm and I didn't want to take a risk because this Compostela will be for my friend Bob who died June 2018.

I will get him added to the Compostela and I will give it to his wife when I return to ANZ.

Thanks everyone for your assistance and advice.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just to say that Tui and Valença are separated by a bridge over the Miño/Minho. There are great views from the bridge, and it looks like an Eiffel project, but I think that’s been debunked. Valença also has a pretty cool fort/fortress.

Not that you need any more distance to add to your total, but its a prettier than average way to spend 15 or 20 minutes.
I bussed to Tui from Vigo this morning and so I was looking for some exercise. Being Thursday, it was market day in Tui and so I browsed the market. Lots of clothes, mostly for women and so less interesting for me but it also had a fresh vegetable and cured meats and salted fish.

I have had two slightly upset stomach episodes this time in Spain and with lots of flies around I wasn't tempted by the processed meats or even the fruit and vegetables (they looked the worst for heat) but I was fascinated by the huge sides of salted fish.

Not that I wanted to try eating them but I wondered how they cooked such huge slabs of fish that were caked in salt.

Possibly an investigation for another day.

IMG_20230720_133138747_HDR.jpg

I did take your and @henrythedog s advice and walked over to the other side of the bridge, explored the castle, talked to a nice Danish couple walking the Portuguese and bought some stuff at a supermarket in Portugal.

Altogether I managed 15.4 klms and so a useful rest day. Also discovered a good, non-touristy restaurant on the South side of the bridge and had a nice lunch there. Most of the other places closer to the bridge and castle seemed a bit touristy.

Thanks for the suggestion to go exploring.

I have decided that I like Tui, probably strongly influenced by the name as it is also the name of one of Aotearoa New Zealand's beautiful birds (here is a link for anyone interested:
).

We have lots of Tuis around in the native bush close to my house and so I am lucky enough to wake up to their beautiful call and one day a young Tui flew up to me as I sat in the shade on a hot summer day at home and landed on my chest and said Hi before flying off again. It was probably attracted to the real juice iceblock that I was eating as their natural food is flower nectar.

So possibly also a bit of homesickness kicking in. I have been in Spain since the start of June.

The other factor is probably the albergue where I am staying here. It looks like it was originally the house of someone rich. It has extensive grounds with trees and gardens. It is very pleasant sitting outside in the shade with birds calling.

Last edited:
The restaurant on your right at the end of the bridge serves a competent menú del dia and the cheapest beer you’ll find for the remainder of your trip
Thanks for this, I did have a beer at that restaurant, it was cheap and that is where I met the delightful Danish couple but for some reason I decided not to eat there and found a good restaurant in the backstreets of Valença.

If you opt for Valença do Minho you can pass through the splendid 17th c. Fortress which resembles a small town. Within the fortress the Pousada de Valença, aka Sao Teotonio Pousada, is a charming hotel where my husband and I have often stayed in a room with a river/bridge view. From the garden of the Pousada you can reconnect to the camino path for the famous International Bridge leading north to Tui, Spain.
Happy planning!
Thanks for this, yes I did explore the castle and took some photos but I didn't explore or stay at the hotel.

IMG_20230720_150143052_HDR.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When I checked the walking distance from Vigo to Santiago de Compostela, more or less, following the Camino track Google said that the distance was 86klm and I didn't want to take a risk because this Compostela will be for my friend Bob who died June 2018.

Really, you would have been fine walking from Vigo, the pilgrims office counts it as 100km

Not that I wanted to try eating them but I wondered how they cooked such huge slabs of fish that were caked in salt.

Salting/drying of cod to preserve it goes back centuries. Typically it needs to be steeped for a few days, changing the water regularly, and it's then prepared and cooked in a variety of ways.. not the kind of thing to bring back to the albergue for dinner!!

I'm not sure if this was a real question, or tongue in cheek, but I will answer it anyway lol

I don't know what fish you saw, but if it's anything like our salted cod, usually the seller has a saw to cut the fish in smaller pieces; then we just put the fish in cold water to desalt it (the water needs to be changed multiple times)

Edit: I was too late lol

Really, it's a pity that you put your trust in Google in that case.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There a very nice Parador in Tui. Well worth the extra cost for a drink and a look around.
Thank you, I saw it up on the hill and I was tempted to go and have a look but ended up doing other things. Thanks for highlighting it for me.

Yes it is. We just did it and received the certificate!
How did you find the walk in terms of number of other pilgrims walking and the general environment? Any notable things to watch for?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I bussed to Tui from Vigo this morning and so I was looking for some exercise. Being Thursday, it was market day in Tui and so I browsed the market. Lots of clothes, mostly for women and so less interesting for me but it also had a fresh vegetable and cured meats and salted fish.

I have had two slightly upset stomach episodes this time in Spain and with lots of flies around I wasn't tempted by the processed meats or even the fruit and vegetables (they looked the worst for heat) but I was fascinated by the huge sides of salted fish.

Possibly an investigation for another day.

View attachment 153159

I did take your and @henrythedog s advice and walked over to the other side of the bridge, explored the castle, talked to a nice Danish couple walking the Portuguese and bought some stuff at a supermarket in Portugal.

Altogether I managed 15.4 klms and so a useful rest day. Also discovered a good, non-touristy restaurant on the South side of the bridge and had a nice lunch there. Most of the other places closer to the bridge and castle seemed a bit touristy.

Thanks for the suggestion to go exploring.

I have decided that I like Tui, probably strongly influenced by the name as it is also the name of one of Aotearoa New Zealand's beautiful birds (here is a link for anyone interested:
).

We have lots of Tuis around in the native bush close to my house and so I am lucky enough to wake up to their beautiful call and one day a young Tui flew up to me as I sat in the shade on a hot summer day at home and landed on my chest and said Hi before flying off again. It was probably attracted to the real juice iceblock that I was eating as their natural food is flower nectar.

So possibly also a bit of homesickness kicking in. I have been in Spain since the start of June.

The other factor is probably the albergue where I am staying here. It looks like it was originally the house of someone rich. It has extensive grounds with trees and gardens. It is very pleasant sitting outside in the shade with birds calling.
A lot going on, and soon time to go home and listen to the Tuis! Keep safe, not long now, and soon, photos from the garden...
Congrats, ahead of time, enjoy what remains - and did you know there is a place near my home town of Kirkintilloch called Rest and Be Thankful?
That awaits you.
Meantime, rain stopped play. Almost! Proper raincoat, umbrella, local walking continues. Keep posting till the plane nears takeoff.

A lot going on, and soon time to go home and listen to the Tuis! Keep safe, not long now, and soon, photos from the garden...
Congrats, ahead of time, enjoy what remains - and did you know there is a place near my home town of Kirkintilloch called Rest and Be Thankful?
That awaits you.
Meantime, rain stopped play. Almost! Proper raincoat, umbrella, local walking continues. Keep posting till the plane nears takeoff.
Some garden photos from along the Portuguese, Tui and north.
IMG_20230720_122530892_HDR.jpg IMG_20230721_093115748.jpg IMG_20230723_094606209_HDR.jpg IMG_20230724_094911393_HDR.jpg IMG_20230724_100533796_HDR.jpg

Three, for the amount of incredible looking dessert cakes you have shared with us, vicariously!
Do cross back to Valença, you could find a wonderful Portuguese mixed plate of delightful cakes to make us all jealous.
You know me too well!

I am sad to say that I had my first bad experience with pastries in Spain in Lugo as I was bussing down to Tui. It was a very fancy looking shop and the pastries were well presented but the cake was dry and stale and I could only take a bite of each pastry before putting it down.

I guess that part of the problem was that it was late in the afternoon and they must have been sitting in the display case all day 😕.

It almost put me off Spanish pastries but then I found these.

IMG_20230721_182230920.jpg
IMG_20230724_083042286.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am in Tui now. Actually, I am across the border (as suggested by @henrythedog) just finished a late lunch.

I did think about walking from Vigo last night as the place that I stayed at was right on the Camino and I followed the golden arrows as I walked up the hill to my accommodation.

I will get him added to the Compostela and I will give it to his wife when I return to ANZ.

Thanks everyone for your assistance and advice.
How did you get there and from where exactly? I am also considering option for after O Cebrerio.

How did you get there and from where exactly? I am also considering option for after O Cebrerio.
Bus from Pedrafita do Cebrerio to Lugo
Bus from Lugo to Vigo, but probably better to take the bus from Lugo to Santiago de Compostela and then bus from Santiago de Compostela to Vigo as they run more frequently.
Bus from Vigo to Tui.

Ok, a few strawberries, cut up into smaller pieces. A couple of spoons of sugar. A dash of good vinegar. stir, a few times, and within hour you will have a pool of juice, and the taste is truly strawberry-like

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.