• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice on skipping Porto urban.area

nickyvee

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles May 2024
Looking for Metro advice on skipping the Porto urban area and heading straight into the littoral beach way. Someone mentioned going straight to Matosinhos or the one before it. What Metro lines to take and where to get off? Thanks

I have been to Porto before so will not be missing any by skipping the walk out of town.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Take the metroline A to Matosinhos, stop Mercado and start your coastal caminho by walking over the Leixões harbour , turn to the left and after 500 meters there is the ocean and keep it at your left all the way to Vigo and change to the Central route to Santiago from Redondela. https://www.beportugal.com/porto-metro/

Last edited by a moderator:
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Will the Metro in Sao Bento take me to Matosinhos?
Yes it will. If you are at São Bento , you are 200 meters away from the Sé Cathedral where your caminho starts.
Walk down the stairs to the river Douro and walk, the Douro at your left along the river , a beautiful walk .At the end of the Douro starts the Atlantic Ocean. Keep it at your left too and you arrive after a beautiful walk at the boulevard in Matosinhos. Don’t miss it and better than the metro or bus.

You also have the option of taking the bus from downtown up to Matosinhos. As I remember, it’s the #505 double decker bus that we caught right across the street from Sao Bento. Its route is along the Douro River and then up the coast. The last stop near the Matosinhos market is where you get off. It’s both a pleasant and scenic ride up to your Camino starting point. Bom caminho!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have been to Porto before so will not be missing any by skipping the walk out of town.
The walk from Porto to Matosinhos along the river and then the ocean is quite nice if you want to consider walking. You’re quickly out of any parts of Porto that you would have seen before.

You also have the option of taking the bus from downtown up to Matosinhos. As I remember, it’s the #505 double decker bus that we caught right across the street from Sao Bento. Its route is along the Douro River and then up the coast. The last stop near the Matosinhos market is where you get off. It’s both a pleasant and scenic ride up to your Camino starting point. Bom caminho!
A nice alternative is taking the antique tram. It starts between São Bento railwaystation and ends a few yards from Fosse do Douro, the place where the river Douro ends up in the ocean. From there follow the ocean at your left to Matosinhos. As I described more above in this thread. Nice walk. I loved it many times I was there.
Have a drink at one of the terraces. My favorite drink is a cold Vinho Verde, Portuguese young wine from the north of Portugal. With sunshine it makes a pleasant day out .

Will the Metro in Sao Bento take me to Matosinhos?
Take the metro from Sao Bento to Trinidad (2 stops) then switch to the A line, and go to Mercado. You will need a 3 zone one way ticket for each person (1.80euro if you are recharging- a little more if you need a fresh ticket). Validate your ticket before getting on at Sao Bento, and again when switching at Trinidad.

Metros start running about 6am and the journey from Trinidad to Mercado is about 40 minutes.

There is a free restroom just inside the north doors to the Mercado on the left.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The walk from Porto to Matosinhos along the river and then the ocean is quite nice if you want to consider walking. You’re quickly out of any parts of Porto that you would have seen before.
I agree 100%. It's very nice walking along the Duoro to sea! IMO the only reason to skip this would be if you are short on time.
A nice alternative is taking the antique tram. It starts between São Bento railwaystation and ends a few yards from Fosse do Douro, the place where the river Douro ends up in the ocean. From there follow the ocean at your left to Matosinhos
That would be a fun alternative.

Looking for Metro advice on skipping the Porto urban area and heading straight into the littoral beach way. Someone mentioned going straight to Matosinhos or the one before it. What Metro lines to take and where to get off? Thanks

I found the walk out of town quite pleasant actually. We just did it today. If doing the central route then consider bussing perhaps.

you can catch the 500 bus from the pot to Matosinhos along the river and sea it's a beautiful and quick ride

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you walk down the R. Hintze Ribeiro to the beach there's a little tourist office at the end with a pleasant café alongside - both have stamps for your credential before you hit the seafront

1716664385544.png

1716663796157.png

The TO also had maps and leaflets on the different Caminhos.

Opening times this week:

Saturday
  • 9:30 am–7 pm
Sunday
  • Closed
Monday
  • 9:30 am–3:30 pm
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
(Corpus Christi)
Hours might differ
Friday

Bom Caminho

Walking out of Porto along the river to the ocean is not an urban walk. It is actually quite beautiful. Do it in the morning at sunrise. I really enjoyed this walk to Matosinhos. Not sure why people want to take the metro or bus for this part.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I really enjoy Porto and could spend many happy days there. I like the walk out of Porto, down to the river and out to the ocean. I don’t understand why people take the tram to Matosinhos and start there unless to shorten the first stage. As an alternative to a long first stage to Labruge or beyond you could spend the first night in Matosinhos and ease your way into the Caminho. Whatever you decide, Bom Caminho!

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone have the map tracks in English for the Portuguese Coastal Senda Litoral and Spiritual routes?
Hi my friends! I just wanted to let you all know that me and my daughter are on our way! We arrived in Porto on June 5th and are in Baiona now! I received so much help from you all and am very...
I am thinking of walking Porto to Santiago staying as close to the ocean as possible. I believe it might be called the littoral path. Is there luggage transfer available on this route?
We are completing or Camino from Lisbon to Porto tomorrow. We plan to start walking the coastal route the following day but we are trying to find 2 locations along the coastal route that would be...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back