• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Airline - Lost Luggage and forwarding to STJPdP

grumerz

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago April - June, 2016
Of necessity, planning on checking in backpack, held in shipping sack, while traveling to the CF in late April, 2016. Coming from the USA, via Philadelphia, Madrid and Pamplona. Each segment requires a transfer to another aircraft, or airline. Concerned about potential delay in the pack's arrival in Pamplona. Will identify contents with name and home address, but do not want the pack to be sent back the USA, as I begin the Camino. Does it make sense to put a tag on on it to convey a final destination? What are the suggestions to facilitate it's delivery? Lastly, does Iberia, (nee Air Nordstrum,) deliver lost luggage to it's passengers in Spain, or STJPdP? Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
does Iberia, (nee Air Nordstrum,) deliver lost luggage
Twice they have delivered my luggage to my hotel in Santiago. After filling in forms, they suddenly speak no English about compensation for incidentals, delays, etc. After the "merger" with British Airways, they have become very poor at customer service. They probably would deliver to Pamplona; SJPdP may be another matter, since it crosses national borders, and they will do no more than the bare minimum (in my estimation).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Are you talking about checking your bags all the way to Pamplona? How about boarding passes - are these going to be issued all the way to Pamplona? Maybe think about only checking the luggage as far as Madrid. Yes it will mean going to baggage claim in Madrid and then lining up to put it on the plane to Pamplona, but at least you will have the satisfaction of knowing where your pack is!! (Coming from Oz we do not get this option - we have to claim luggage in Paris or Madrid before proceeding to next form of transport). Just a thought! Good luck!

First take every item of value or you cannot afford to lose in carry-on luggage...second I scheduled a one night layover at Paris CDG airport were I waited 17-hours for my lost bike case to arrive from London Heathrow Airport...third only check luggage items that you cannot take in carry-on luggage and I have seen several large backpacks with frames removed as carry-on luggage...fourth if you purchase Travelguard insurance and they will help you locate any lost luggage and actually tell you the arrival time at your local airport so you can personally retrieve your lost luggage without waiting for delivery (and at Paris CDG Airport I received minimal assistance in finding my lost bike case but Travelguard called me in the middle of the night and told me the flight and time of the arrival while I am still waiting for notification from Paris CDG Airport)...fifth have electronic and printed color pictures of your checked luggage because my lost bike case was identified and expedited by a lost luggage claim with an e-mailed picture to London Heathrow Airport...last pray that everything makes it to your final destination but with a scheduled night layover in a major city at least you would have some time to replace any lost items.

Because your last section is a national flight, are you sure you dont have to collect your bags in madrid and re-check them in Madrid for your flight to Pamlona? It might be the case if your last section is with a low budget carrier (vueling, iberia express ect...).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Of necessity, planning on checking in backpack, held in shipping sack, while traveling to the CF in late April, 2016. Coming from the USA, via Philadelphia, Madrid and Pamplona. Each segment requires a transfer to another aircraft, or airline. Concerned about potential delay in the pack's arrival in Pamplona. Will identify contents with name and home address, but do not want the pack to be sent back the USA, as I begin the Camino. Does it make sense to put a tag on on it to convey a final destination? What are the suggestions to facilitate it's delivery? Lastly, does Iberia, (nee Air Nordstrum,) deliver lost luggage to it's passengers in Spain, or STJPdP? Buen Camino!
I flew Iberia from Boston to Pamplona with a switch to Air Nostrum, which is a codeshare with Iberia, in Madrid. In Boston, I was able to check in my bag (not my backpack which I carried on just in case) through to Pamplona. Do label inside and out, and possibly include an address clearly noted as as a final destination. I am not sure Iberia would deliver a lost bag to St. Jean, but you should call and ask. Best thing is to have everything valuable and essential to start your camino in your backpack, and carry-on the pack. Buen camino!

As others have inferred or suggested directly, DO carry on board all electronics, documents, medications, and other items you cannot possibly afford to lose. Read below for how I do this.

CHECKED LUGGAGE:

I pack my hiking poles and all "sharps" (knife, spork etc) into my rucksack. I place the rucksack in a very bright-colored nylon laundry bag with a pull string closure that can be double-tied. My most recent "find" was a bright lime green, tiny mesh bag, from my local "Dollar Store" for ONE DOLLAR USD.

You will NOT mistake this bag for any other bag on the baggage claim belt. It does NOT resemble any other bag on the planet! I assess that the mesh is too fine to snag baggage handling equipment. I plan to test this in April when I start my next Camino from Madrid. Last year, i used a slightly heavier, non-mesh. nylon laundry bag in a similar color. It worked GREAT. The "used" sack goes into your rucksack as a bottom pad or a liner. It can be used for any number of purposes.

Include a DESTINATION address tag INSIDE the bag, attached to the rucksack proper. Also, on tying the bag securely shut, include ANOTHER, identical, destination tag on the outside for airline personnel to read. Don't worry about "granny knotting" the stings are usually polyester or nylon and will come loose with only a little prodding.

To aid in identification, I recommend you try to find a baggage tag, or tag holder, that contrasts brightly with your shipping sack. So, if you were me (and I am ;)), using the bright,lime-green mesh laundry bag as a checked bag, you would use a luggage tag holder that was bright orange or neon yellow. I have both.

YOU use a DESTINATION tag instead of a home luggage tag so airline personnel route the bag to, and deliver it to where you will be (Camino starting point), NOT where you were (home).

If starting at St. Jean Pied de Port, this usually means your first night's lodging. I always recommend that people plan to stay two nights at St. Jean PdP before walking, to get over the jet lag, and to experience this wonderful small French town.

They have been sending pilgrims on their way from this town for more than one thousand years. Think about it. Everything you might need as a last minute item is there.

FYI, If so inclined, one of the "best" souvenirs are the locally produced, Basque espadrilles. They are CHEAP and available in every color under the rainbow. I usually arrive with a shopping list from all the women I know.

To aid in getting souvenirs and other items you will not need until reaching Santiago, there are baggage forwarding services (Express Bourricot) and a French Post Office (la Poste) all in walking distance.

St. Jean Pied de Port is not just a starting point. It is a key, historic part of the Camino, writ large. It is the juncture where the various northern routes coming out of northern Europe converge before heading over the Pyrenees and down the "main" route to Santiago. It is profound and humbling.

You SHOULD MAKE A RESERVATION so you have a bed waiting for you. Try www.booking.com to locate reservable accommodation, including hostals and private albergues.

Address the checked bag according to where your initial stay at St. Jean PdP is. If the airline misplaces your bag they WILL deliver it to THAT address. With any luck it will arrive while you are still there.

You just need to stay relaxed and flexible. Remember, a bad day on Camino is still waaay better than a good day in the office.

IF YOUR CHECKED BAG GOES "WALKABOUT:"

MAKE sure you included your e-mail and text number on the destination luggage tags so the airline can contact you. If you arrive and your "ruck-in-a-sack" bag does not, MAKE SURE you file a lost baggage claim with the airline before you leave the baggage claim area.

DO inform the airline baggage representative you are beginning a "Camino de Sanitago / Chemin du St. Jacques" from St. Jean Pied de Port, so they need to find your bag and deliver it today or tomorrow at the latest to THIS ADDRESS (on the attached tags).

Better yet, if you have a photo of your "ruck-in-a-sack" on your smart phone, taken just before you checked it, so much the better, as you can show them or send it to them. A close-up photo of the actual external destination tag is also a sage idea. This is the classic "one picture is worth a 1000 words" scenario.

MY CARRY-ON SOLUTION:

When I am on my way to start a Camino, my carry-on bag is typically a sil-nylon 20 liter daypack. On arrival, it gets stored for use along the Camino. It is my shopping bag, laundry bag, and "possibles bag" for touring cities and playing tourist.

In North America, Sea to Summit offer a complete line of both day packs with shoulder straps and slightly smaller (16 L) shoulder bags. I have both, bring both, and use both. Check here for suggestions:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?tag=casaivar02-20

You should consider, IMHO, both the 20L daypack and the 16L Sling Bag. The latter is a zipper-top shoulder bag, more easily worn together with a rucksack on your back.

I hope this helps.

Why can you not carry your bag on board? I think it might cause you too much angst to check it- not what you want to start your Camino. I just wrapped mine in its rain cover. Worked out perfect. Wish you well and Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Because your last section is a national flight, are you sure you dont have to collect your bags in madrid and re-check them in Madrid for your flight to Pamlona? It might be the case if your last section is with a low budget carrier (vueling, iberia express ect...).

Hi, Dutch,
If your flight is all on one ticket, you do not pick up your bags in Madrid, they are checked all the way to the final destination. This is sometimes confusing for travelers from the US, because we know that coming into the US, customs is done at the initial point of entry, so you always have to pick up your bag when you land in the US and recheck it after you've cleared customs. Not so in Spain, but only if your flights are all booked on the same ticket.

But my own unsolicited strong opinion on the underlying issue -- I would never check my camino backpack or anything else I'm taking on the camino. I learned that the hard way and have followed the same routine every year since then. It means having to buy a small knife upon arrival, but that is so much less of a cost than the potential of having the backpack lost or delayed.

Ive had it a few times to South America where i flew with iberia via madrid and inland with a partner airline where i had to get my bags and check in again for that national flight while it was all on one ticket, so it is possible, buy maybe when flying towards europe its different. I understood it all depends on the airline and for what services they pay an airport.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
do not want the pack to be sent back the USA, as I begin the Camino.
If your bag with all your necessities doesn't arrive as planned, I presume you will either delay your start or you will go out and buy all the equipment again. Can you not take your backpack on board with most of your things, only checking a small disposable bag with the not-checkable items? Then you might decide to go on to SJPP with the essentials, and you will pass through Pamplona again in a few days. Or at least it would reduce the number of new purchases you need to make.

IF that situation arose, when you are at the baggage claim on arrival in Pamplona, you would make whatever arrangement work best, including having the airline keep the bag for a few days until you can pick it up. Normally the airline will contact you when your bag shows up, and deliver it to you at the destination address you give them. I don't know if they would deliver to you in SJPP. But you could stay an unplanned day in Pamplona, enjoy it, and your bag will almost certainly show up in a day or two. If you've paid for a reservation somewhere like Orisson and it can't be changed, well, that is one of the hazards of travelling!

It is nice to have a few days leeway in your schedule to handle things like this.

Buen camino!

In September of 2013 we flew from Chicago to Madrid to San Sebastián (on Iberia to Madrid on then on one of the national carriers to SS). Our luggage didn't make it to SS with us, but was delivered by the airlines to SJPDP around midnight that same day. I had carried on my pack which contained most everything and wore my hiking shoes. I only checked my walking poles and fresh clothes I mailed from SJPDP to Santiago. My traveling companion had checked most everything and was considering replacing all from the well stocked sports store in SJPDP. The Albergue helped out by offering her items from their "poor box" - things lost or left behind. Fortunately, it all worked out.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Where is that, relative to St. Jean?
A day before SJPdP. There is a stone marker at the point of convergence (Le Puy, Vezelay, and Tours).

bBzGO9u9L4sm5JBDBW2Zd_TBlSThac_V1Ix1FveuAJblAuFAY_AZBHJpgznOT19hFS6YyeiFl2g2obs4Sldmd0wYRoDWRJRYL0tcNLuEejiys7KFjazDxAZyzEMs0MBUqGQ_BP6BBeYVgMH9daKCkP7k8B8IGRteS910EVNf6vqXDb3ofg7lIMiQ-cowRCZm4i7YITrDYATP2gNhbQTFex7gnPTRoh3laOIZtxylq3MwGX47-9sJ83ezllsJ2AvAPFKQJ_lyiBQUJAqPdT9QuCjQhWqil4ShbVoRCnWiQS68XVjc6iKogAhR32i8CC5ffFaNkaTyAtO52A60t0i6ta-ajkSkH62xJdCMuFrjmLBt3uPW3FHvjn9wqOY_mL29HhsSmvisJwx9jalDr9M-kO7pKnxFoiBxA232LkPU-3wo4JGP-f89m4XCLZA-NMCgVB4d4Lhc836g_mwsV3rjzgoobZ6nmEu1prOys0LS_gGssQvvDxtrPrLeHYQBYxnxi3EdWuFiOCzf4oEny5bKJ7fpZ4tM91kStrL7XsHOW4UvtYB346L2jp_KWlinvSOh9dZR=w420-h628-no

Grumerz:

I always carry-on my pack. If you have something that will not be accepted as Carry-on, ship it to your first night hotel or buy it in Spain. There would be fewer thing more frustrating than not having your back pack upon arrival.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
Thank for the information. So, the technical point of trail convergence is this "fork in the road" at Ostabat (must be a Basque name). I must visit there.

But, historically, if I recall correctly, St. Jean Pied de Port was the place where all Spain-bound pilgrims stopped off to rest and reprovision before walking over the Pyrenees. I guess this is why it is regarded as the traditional starting point for the Camino Frances, the main "spine" route for the Camino de Santiago, for at least those routes coming from the north and west of mainland Europe.

Have I got this more accurate now? Thank you again for the correction.:)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back