• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

alas, poor Murillo!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The news article says "a copy of a famous painting by the baroque artist Bartolomé Esteban Murillo became the latest in a long line of artworks to suffer a damaging and disfiguring repair."

Does that mean that Murillo himself made more than one copy? Or was it an old and valuable copy by someone else?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The news article says "a copy of a famous painting by the baroque artist Bartolomé Esteban Murillo became the latest in a long line of artworks to suffer a damaging and disfiguring repair."

Does that mean that Murillo himself made more than one copy? Or was it an old and valuable copy by someone else?
I asked the same question after reading the Guardian article yesterday on Twitter. I've yet to get a response.

Attached is a statement from the Association of Conservators and Restorers in Spain (ACRE)

Attachments

• Official-Press-Statement-on-Murillos-copy-intervention.pdf
    104.4 KB · Views: 18

I noticed the same thing.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I know that Murillo has made many paintings of the Virgen in this kind of situation, but a little hunting in the Spanish press leads me to think that they are referring to a copy by someone else. This article uses the word “copia” and then says “menos mal que lo era” (thank goodness it was), so it seems likely that the butchered painting was a copy by someone else, not another version by Murillo or his studio.

Murillo painted at least twenty Immaculate Conception, all variations on the theme and quite similar, but I don't know if any are strictly identical. It's possible that this was a product of his workshop.

Attached is a statement from the Association of Conservators and Restorers in Spain (ACRE)
For those who haven't clicked on the link the statement makes clear that they do not know anything about the facts behind the "news" story, that the original painting is safe and sound, they think that restoration work should be better regulated, and they are not happy that people are making a joke about it. Fair statement!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I’ve worked in art restoration. And had some minor training, Although normally I’m working in collaboration with a trained art conservator. There is some regulation in Europe and perhaps other countries, but in the United States there is absolutely no licensing for art conservation. Anybody can just say they can do this. Buyer beware.

My work has been in mostly lesser known churches or government buildings across the central United States. At least three or four times I worked on repairing restorations that were really butchered jobs done by some local “artist.”

This is a bit of a plague, beautiful art being restored by untrained or incompetent individuals. You only hear about the important work that’s destroyed.

I remember seeing the original, “ Beast Jesus,” and laughing my head off. But it’s really sad.

Nobody is explaining whether this is a copy from Murillo’s studio, or something done later. It could be very well be a copy that was done only 100 years ago.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

One of my favorite websites for both food and cultural information around the world is Cultural Backstreets. As your Portuguese Camino may have you starting in or going through Porto, I though you...
Anne Chépeau of Radio France in an article published 24/04/2024, describes a special exhibition of paintings and choir carpet of Notre-Dame cathedral restored after the 2019 fire and presently...
Wonderful story! https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/noticia/santiago/santiago/2024/04/23/espiritu-barraca-garcia-lorca-llega-camino/00031713905544318401215.htm Filmmaker and pianist and their...
As many of us know, over the last years the Camino has risen in popularity for South Koreans. I didn't know it had made it into their dramas, though! I was watching the Korean drama (Kdrama)...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.