• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue in Roncesvalles (revisited thread)

tipperary

Hi
Just back from camino as far as Burgos. The new albergue in Roncesvalles is open,it is in the building which previously housed the Youth Hostel . Pilgrims will be amazed at the facilities, no expens
e has been spared. Banish all thoughts of penance this is LUXURY.
Let me list some of its facilities,
Spacious reception area hosted by Dutch volunteers. Thank you.
Stainless steel kitchen ,cooker hobs ,microwaves,Cold drinks machines, chilled convenience meals.Cutlery and delph are in short supply at the moment, but no doubt that will change.
There is a large dining area.
The dormitary area is divided into alcoves with four pilgrims in each. Each pilgrim has a locker with key and a power outlet.
All this is in a historic beautiful old building. The cost is now 10euro.
Thanks to all made this possible and especially to the volunteers for their welcome
Buen camino
justin

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That's good news Tipperary! I wonder if it's suitable for someone who has an 8 hour jet lag, plus approx 20 hours non stop travel? Normally we sleep at La Posada the first night, specific for this reason! We don't mind getting up early - in fact it's the best way to adapt to the European time. What do you think? Anne

We were thinking along the same lines as you Anne with regards to needing a good nights sleep after travelling Melbourne-Barcelona-Pamplona-Roncesvalles all in one go so to speak. This albergue which would obviously be our first experience sounds fabulous. Anne, we thought we would stay at La Posada also and emailed off a request for reservation three weeks ago, should we have heard anything back to confirm, not sure what the procedure is. We don't have the confidence to ring as our Spanish is next to non-existant, what do you think?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In fact, by now you should have received a reply. I'm going to send you a PM with a couple of suggestions.Anne

Just to clear up my usual confusion...the new albergue replaces the old main albergue with 120 beds in one room....right?
The last time I was there (March 2010) we were all CRAMMED into a makeshift room with the double bunks against each other. One bathroom for all,.including the overflow Pilgrims in the old reception area.

grayland said:
Just to clear up my usual confusion...the new albergue replaces the old main albergue with 120 beds in one room....right?
Hi Grayland - no it's not the large albergue. The youth hostel was first and to the left as you come down the hill at the back of the main albergue - a little hard to notice unless you are looking for it.I have stayed there a couple of times and thought it was great as it was. The first time I had no idea what I was doing and I just stumbled into it. The last time I was there it had 8 beds to a room and was very comfy - at least where I was. I did try the larger albergue once just for the experience - and it is that - an experience!
Cecelia

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi all,
Anne you dont have to cancel your booking at La Posada!. Pilgrims in the old albergue tended to be restless at night and this is still the case. This renovated building opens on to a coachyard just above the church. For pilgrims who have been in the renovated albergue in Burgos, its along the same lines. Needless to say it has extensive bathroom facilities.
The old albergue has memories for many and is still in position. Who can tell, but in high summer it may still be pressed into use as an overflow facility.
By the way for pilgrims who fail to get a boooking in Roncesvalles, there are many good value rooms in Burguete 3km away. Many are in guides and Google wiil identify some.
Best wishes to all
Justin

Hi Tipperary,
This sounds wonderful. Does it mean that the alberque which was operating in the very old building with the huge 100 bed dormitory and the services, toilets, showers etc in the basement is no longer in use or is this new one an extra option?
Anna

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Both are open. The "new" one is in the old youth hostel, which was available for overflow for many years. If you want a hotel/hostal, make reservations. They rarely have openings for drop-ins, and there are only two. Burguete is only 3 km further down the road, and it has several hotels for accommodations.

smileymadd said:
We were thinking along the same lines as you Anne with regards to needing a good nights sleep after travelling Melbourne-Barcelona-Pamplona-Roncesvalles all in one go so to speak. This albergue which would obviously be our first experience sounds fabulous. Anne, we thought we would stay at La Posada also and emailed off a request for reservation three weeks ago, should we have heard anything back to confirm, not sure what the procedure is. We don't have the confidence to ring as our Spanish is next to non-existant, what do you think?

Hi Smileymadd,
I have a similar voyage and thought the same thing. I will be arriving in Roncesvalles for my first Camino on July 4 after a flight from Hong Kong to paris, then an overnight train journey to SJPDP followed by a taxi to Roncesvalles! I know I will be tired and jet-lagged and will need a comfortable bed for the first night, plus I will arrive early afternoon, so I made a reservation with La Posada and I got a reply almost immediately. Basically, they told me a room was reserved, but I need to call them to reconfirm a day or two before arrival. I suggest you try again. I used the reservation page on their website and wrote in very rusty Spanish, although in fact you just have to put down dates and tick a box.

Thanks simdel, I did make the reservation via their website but I'm giving it another go. I admit I am quite technologically challenged (much to the frustration of my IT employed husband), maybe one slip on the keyboard and my request went astray Thanks again.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hey simdel, I definately must have done sonething wrong with my first attempt at the online reservation at La Posada, tried again today and three hours later got a confirmation, so thanks again for your advice, I'm feeling much happier now I know we definately have somewhere to sleep the first night.
smileymadd.

Sorry to be a bit slow here but I didn't think you could make reservations for albergues in Spain?? Is this not true? If I can make a reservation for this fine sounding new hostel in Roncesvalles, what is the procedure please?? Many thanks
Paul

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi paul,
In spite of what other posters report, this is now the only Albergue in Roncesvalles. It is run by Dutch volunteers just like the Albergue it replaces. It is in the old Youth Hostel which had been closed for at least 3 years. Like almost all Spannish Albergues it does not accept booking.
Buen Camino
justin

countrycasita said:
Sorry to be a bit slow here but I didn't think you could make reservations for albergues in Spain?? Is this not true? If I can make a reservation for this fine sounding new hostel in Roncesvalles, what is the procedure please?? Many thanks
Paul

They are talking about making reservations at La Posada which is a private Hostal near the Monastery on the main road/.

Websites now say that the old albergue has been closed for renovation, since the new one was opened in March, 2011.

http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-itzandegia

It looks very nice in the photos.

Reminder: you need to make reservations for the Pilgrim Menu in either of the restaurants, and pay in advance. It is a nice meal; you will meet a table-full of fellow pilgrims; and there are no drop-ins accepted. The family-style meal is a bit of a who-can-grab-the-most, so don't be shy!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
However, both restaurants still have (or did) a regular menu including the "menu del dia" which is not much more the the Pilgrim menu and does not require reservations if you don't/can't make the pilgrim menu. They also have simple items as well so not to stress too much about it. :wink:

Only 10 sleeps until I start my Camino. Pre Camino nerves as usual and another worry now. Will there be enough beds for all if the large,old albergue in Roncevalles is closed for renovation? Does anyone who has been there recently know exactly how many beds are in the new one ? I am a worrier from way back!!
Heather

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
From the above link:
Impresión general:
Estado de conservación: Abierto el 18 de marzo de 2011
Disponibilidad del albergue: Todo el año. De noviembre a marzo se traslada al albergue de la Colegiata de unas 30 plazas
Precio: 10 euros
Plazas
Plazas totales: 183
Nº de plazas en litera:
Nº de plazas en suelo:
Nº de colchones en suelo:
Nº de camas:
Descripción de habitaciones: Tres plantas con 72 plazas en las dos primeras y 39 en la última
Reserva de plaza en el albergue: Sí, hasta un cupo máximo de 60 plazas
Condiciones de admisión para acceder al albergue: Ser peregrino con credencial
Hora de apertura: 13:00
Hora de cierre: 22:00
Posibilidad de salir o no cuando se cierra: No
So they have 183 beds, still not enough when 250 pilgrims show up.

7 more sleeps until I, together with 2 friends, start at SJPDP on 28th. We hope to make it in one go to Roncesvalles for the night of the 28th. Will anyone else be there?

Jenny

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks Tipperary, I feel better now. One less worry.
Cheers
Heather

jennysa said:
7 more sleeps until I, together with 2 friends, start at SJPDP on 28th. We hope to make it in one go to Roncesvalles for the night of the 28th. Will anyone else be there?

Jenny

Hi Jenny, starting from SJPDD on the 30th, not too far behind. I hope the weather is good for route Napoleon. Buen Camino!

Pete

According to the ERoski guide, http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-itzandegia

their email address is info@alberguederoncesvalles.com

But their webpage, http://www.alberguederoncesvalles.com/, says they only accept reservations by phone. 948 760 000 (if calling from US add 011 34 to that number).

I was sort of surprised to see they accept reservations, actually. I've never reserved and never had a problem, but I only walk in spring or fall, and I've heard many stories about the crunches of high season.

Good luck with this. Laurie

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Hi
Just back from camino as far as Burgos. The new albergue in Roncesvalles is open,it is in the building which previously housed the Youth Hostel . Pilgrims will be amazed at the facilities, no expens
Stainless steel kitchen ,cooker hobs ,microwaves,Cold drinks machines, chilled convenience meals.Cutlery and delph are in short supply at the moment, but no doubt that will change.
The dormitary area is divided into alcoves with four pilgrims in each. Each pilgrim has a locker with key and a power outlet.
Thanks to all made this possible and especially to the volunteers for their welcome
Buen camino
justin

Thanks for this info. Would one survive with just a silk liner as their site states that a sleeping bag is a must? Is it a cold place? We'll be there on 6 of May.
Thanks

Michelle,

Your silk liner will be adequate. The idea is to keep your body from directly touching the mattress cover. Early May might be chilly in those mountains. If so just wear your clean clothes for sleeping.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Mspath, I am very grateful for getting back on this. I had a huge dilemma and although I walked part of the Camino before I'm not experienced with the first part which should be the coldest. I will stick to the liner, as you said I can wear clothes to warm me up if necessary.

Thanks a lot.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi
Buen camino
justin
Do you need reservations?

Hi
Buen camino
justin
What is the name of this albuques. ..I am on sjpp and would like to book for tomorrow.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What is the name of this albuques. ..I am on sjpp and would like to book for tomorrow.

The albergue in Roncesvalles monastery does accept reservations but they must be made at least 5 working days in advance of your arrival. See contact details on this web page.

Last edited:
the well known albergue in the Roncesvalles monastery complex and @mspath has given you the contact details. It may do no harm to book as tomorrow is the second weekend in September, a now traditionally busy time for Camino Frances pilgrims in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port and Roncesvalles.
@Katharina I had no idea we would need to book accommodation at Roncesvalles -we will arrive at SJPDP on Tues next 13th and plan to walk to Roncesvalles on Wed 14th. Would it be wise to book then? Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Katharina I had no idea we would need to book accommodation at Roncesvalles -we will arrive at SJPDP on Tues next 13th and plan to walk to Roncesvalles on Wed 14th. Would it be wise to book then? Buen Camino
You don't have to pre-book, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to. I've stayed there more than once and never had to. The albergue holds over 200 pilgrims (plus overflow). If it was ever so full they had to turn you away, that would be an interesting, and busy start to a Camino.
cheers

The albergue in Roncesvalles is huge - no need to book. Buen Camino, SY

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Check the dates on the posts above to be sure you are reading current information.

This is an old thread that was reopened.

Perhaps it might be an idea to split this thread? Buen Camino, SY

That's good news Tipperary! I wonder if it's suitable for someone who has an 8 hour jet lag, plus approx 20 hours non stop travel? Normally we sleep at La Posada the first night, specific for this reason! We don't mind getting up early - in fact it's the best way to adapt to the European time. What do you think? Anne
Please tell me the name of the NEW albergue in Roncesvalles that seems to be much better. It will be our first night on the Camino and we are getting bicycles delivered .

Please tell me the name of the NEW albergue in Roncesvalles that seems to be much better. It will be our first night on the Camino and we are getting bicycles delivered .
To my knowledge, there isn't a NEW albergue in Roncesvalles. There are a couple of hotels there in addition to the large albergue.

Will repeat my post that was deleted: there is no new additional albergue, there is only one albergue in R.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back