• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues at 100% capacity ?

mark stevens

Time of past OR future Camino
back on the Frances in May 2022
I’m setting off on my Camino Frances in just over 3 weeks and wondered if all the albergues/hostels are operating at 100% possible capacity? Or are they still at covid levels etc ?

I’m not planning to book ahead but just wondered. I’ve only booked Orisson ahead as that place is fab

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Now at 20th day and close to Ponferrada in Camino Franche.

I have seen 2 albergas Completo / full. Some are opening up as covid starts to be "over" and people are returning.

I have not booked any place in advance. I have power to hike to next village if needed. Everything has worked fine!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The camino returned to full capacity as of 1 April. Kitchen use is still up to individual management; some albergue kitchens are still limited or closed.
There is a big wave of Easter Camino pilgrims washing across the Meseta just now, filling up smaller places, but I haven't heard of any real crises this year.

I have seen 2 albergas Completo / full. Some are opening up as covid starts to be "over" and people are returning.

I have not booked any place in advance. I have power to hike to next village if needed. Everything has worked fine!
Cheers Huima

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’m setting off on my Camino Frances in just over 3 weeks and wondered if all the albergues/hostels are operating at 100% possible capacity? Or are they still at covid levels etc ?

I’m not planning to book ahead but just wondered. I’ve only booked Orisson ahead as that place is fab

Mark- Follow the Yellow Shell
We are at Najera & booking 2 days in advance but still proving difficult to get reasonable prices. We have decided to avoid the guide book stopping points and book ahead at the smaller villages. Buen Camino.

I had a difficult time booking at Orisson or Borda and this was for September.
I hope you got a bed. I am not surprised to hear this as September is one of the busiest months and the albergues in and around Orisson albergue don't have that many beds for the number of pilgrims starting in SJPP.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The camino returned to full capacity as of 1 April. Kitchen use is still up to individual management; some albergue kitchens are still limited or closed.
There is a big wave of Easter Camino pilgrims washing across the Meseta just now, filling up smaller places, but I haven't heard of any real crises this year.
Good News, so I guess by April 2023, this will all be back to a "new" normal! :)

I hope you got a bed. I am not surprised to hear this as September is one of the busiest months and the albergues in and around Orisson albergue don't have that many beds for the number of pilgrims starting in SJPP.
Yes, September is the busiest month for pilgrims stating from SJPDP in recent years
Pilgrims departing from sjpdp by month 2019 - Copy.JPG

Albergue Roncesvalles is on full capacity again and has been full several times during the last two weeks. May is also a very busy period. I'd make a reservatiion!
While Roncesvalles is a nice stop, Burguete isn't much further down the road and in the morning you avoid the huge rush of Pilgrims first thing out the door.
If you're interested in Ernest Hemingway you can even check out the hotel he used to visit.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I guess I'm part of some sort of Easter wave and it's been mixed. All the beds in Reliegos were taken last night and people had to go on to Mansilla for spaces but I'm in Albergue San Francisco (the Capuchin albergue) in Leon tonight and it's really quiet.

I am on day 21 at Ponferrada and tomorrow in Villafranca de Bierzo all is OK Spain is more relaxed than ever .
Buen Camino

We are at Najera & booking 2 days in advance but still proving difficult to get reasonable prices. We have decided to avoid the guide book stopping points and book ahead at the smaller villages. Buen Camino.
That’s gonna be my strategy without the booking. Starting from SJPP so should be ok

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
While Roncesvalles is a nice stop, Burguete isn't much further down the road and in the morning you avoid the huge rush of Pilgrims first thing out the door.
If you're interested in Ernest Hemingway you can even check out the hotel he used to visit.
Loving that idea and that’s where we’re planning on walking too with an early start as you say. Cheers Terri

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Check out CasaBanderas.com it’s right before Portomarin. Great place!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am also at Najera and would advise to book ahead

I've booked this hotel in May. Excited to try something different this year!

Thanks for all your messages and info guys. 22 days before I leave and as you can imagine I’m not really thinking a k anything else at the moment. I’ve only got 10 days and aiming for Burgos with relaxation and updating info for my blog.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Mark
I'm just past Pamplona, last 3 albergues I stayed in were full, couldn't find anywhere in Pamplona so got taxi to next village where there was 1 bed.

Love the plan. I am starting from SJPDP on May 18 and that is all I have booked. The Camino (or Euros) will provide!

We left SJPdP on 7 April. It was busy to Burgos, mainly with Spaniards walking in their Easter break. Since the week after Easter no problems. Plenty of accommodation & currently no need to book ahead.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.