• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergues for cyclists; riding el Camino in April

gringodevil

Time of past OR future Camino
Greetings pilgrims,
I stumbled on this forum and found some great information. On a lark and at the last minute, I am going to ride El Camino about April 1--if there is anyone looking for company, holla!

From what I have been gleaning from this forum, I understand that some or all albergues treat biking pilgrims a bit different from walkers, where you are not allowed to enter until 5pm, but maybe some of the private smaller ones don't discriminate. I found the .pdf list of albergues, and I didn't see any indication on those bike friendly vs. the rest. For people who have rode it, is there some sub-list of bike-friendly albergues? do all private albergues accept bikers at any time, not just after 5pm? Is it not an issue earlier in the season in early April when there are fewer pilgrims?
I'm not clear how people on this forum are choosing where they are staying--please throw some wisdom my way.

Also, from what I read about April, it should be highs of lower 60's--a little brisk, but I am from Alaska and am used to that. Any thoughts from people who have rode around then?

Thanks in advance,

Russell

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
is there some sub-list of bike-friendly albergues?

Hi, if you go to Gronze:

https://www.gronze.com/camino-frances

and have a look at some of the albergues in the towns you may like to stop at, you will see that some of them are bicycle friendly, as they have a:

“Resguardo para bicicletas” (Bicycle shelter)

for example: Albergue Casa Paderborn in Pamplona:
https://www.gronze.com/navarra/pamplona/albergue-casa-paderborn

Just please warn walkers ahead of you that you are approaching. Thank you!
Jill

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hopefully I'll be doing the same on a bike in September 2017, so please let me know how you go. I'll probably rent my bike from the website below that also has a booking system for albergues, so I'm assuming they are bike friendly.

http://bicigrino.com/en/

Hola - from my experience in Sept 2015 (starting from Pamplona) most of the private ones were ok, but even the donativo were accepting if your credenciale showed you had ridden around 40 km that day (two walking stages). Here are a few of the ones I found accommodating:
Puente La Reina : Alb Amatur (when asked they provided a lock-up for the bike); Los Arcos : La Fuente - again I was able to move the bike into their off-street parking - almost fully under cover; Navarrete : Navarrete Centro - here I was able to lock the bike against the outside rails until after 7.30 pm and then put it in the foyer downstairs. In Santo Domingo I stayed at Casa de la Confradia del Santo - its donativo - Euro 7 - if offered more for the bike being under cover and secured but they said that E7 was the amount. Here by the evening we had 8 or 10 bikes - first to arrive got the better positions. My next two stops were hotels - who again provided secure parking. In Castrojeriz I stayed in the camping ground - a friend arranged a discount rate in one of the 4 bed cabins and there was an undercover porch for the bike. So basically the private albergues are the best for bikes, but others will accommodate within reason. Hope this helps. Cheers

In parochial Albergue San Miguel in Estella, no distinction was made between walkers and cyclists - first come, first served - and there was a lockup area at the back (not under cover). But this could change from time to time according to the hospitaleros.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've ridden the Camino. Never had a problem at an alburgue. I think that's either a myth OR one cyclist encountered a grumpy, frumpy hospitalero. The other thing I want to point out is:
unless you're in a time crunch or have issues with walking, don't cycle it. The reasons:
1. As far as bike tours go I give it a"meh" much better rides out there especially in Europe.
2. As a pilgrimage it is a vastly more profound as a walk. I've done it twice and walked the second time. As cyclists, we miss out on the community and relationships that are established.
3. It's full of pesky pedestrians. But seriously, many cyclists exhibit zero manners or awareness of walkers. I've had the shit startled out of me by a cyclist that whizzes past with no warning. DON'T BE THAT CYCLIST! Yield to walkers. Walking is far more exhausting than cycling it.
OK, my two cents. Have fun and keep the rubber side down.

Greetings pilgrims,
I stumbled on this forum and found some great information. On a lark and at the last minute, I am going to ride El Camino about April 1--if there is anyone looking for company, holla!

From what I have been gleaning from this forum, I understand that some or all albergues treat biking pilgrims a bit different from walkers, where you are not allowed to enter until 5pm, but maybe some of the private smaller ones don't discriminate. I found the .pdf list of albergues, and I didn't see any indication on those bike friendly vs. the rest. For people who have rode it, is there some sub-list of bike-friendly albergues? do all private albergues accept bikers at any time, not just after 5pm? Is it not an issue earlier in the season in early April when there are fewer pilgrims?
I'm not clear how people on this forum are choosing where they are staying--please throw some wisdom my way.

Also, from what I read about April, it should be highs of lower 60's--a little brisk, but I am from Alaska and am used to that. Any thoughts from people who have rode around then?

Thanks in advance,

Russell
've

I recall the first "guide" book I ever received, the bare basic guide put out by the Confraternity of St James, in London. In 2000.

At that time cyclists were not admitted to refugios (as they were then called) until the evening, usually 6pm in summer. Walkers always got first priority. The reason is that it is much easier for a cyclist to travel an extra 10km to the next albergue, than for a walker to cover the same distance.

Walkers supported by vehicles were not admitted at all - so anyone who was having their bags carried would not get a place in a municipal, paroquial, or association albergue. The very few private albergues - Madam Ronçal near Pamplona, Jesus Gató at Villafranca - applied the same rules. Walkers with vehicle support were expected to stay in a hotel or pension.

Hi Russell, I'm staring in Najera on April 4th, also on bike. I'm slow so you'll bound to catch up to me, lol! See you on the Camino. Magda from Toronto, Canada.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, if you go to Gronze:

and have a look at some of the albergues in the towns you may like to stop at, you will see that some of them are bicycle friendly, as they have a:

Jill

Hi Jill,
thanks so much for that resource--golden!
and I have the loudest bell I could find mounted on my trusty steed

Hola - from my experience in Sept 2015 (starting from Pamplona) most of the private ones were ok, but even the donativo were accepting if your credenciale showed you had ridden around 40 km that day (two walking stages). Here are a few of the ones I found accommodating:
Puente La Reina : Alb Amatur (when asked they provided a lock-up for the bike); Los Arcos : La Fuente - again I was able to move the bike into their off-street parking - almost fully under cover; Navarrete : Navarrete Centro - here I was able to lock the bike against the outside rails until after 7.30 pm and then put it in the foyer downstairs. In Santo Domingo I stayed at Casa de la Confradia del Santo - its donativo - Euro 7 - if offered more for the bike being under cover and secured but they said that E7 was the amount. Here by the evening we had 8 or 10 bikes - first to arrive got the better positions. My next two stops were hotels - who again provided secure parking. In Castrojeriz I stayed in the camping ground - a friend arranged a discount rate in one of the 4 bed cabins and there was an undercover porch for the bike. So basically the private albergues are the best for bikes, but others will accommodate within reason. Hope this helps. Cheers

Hi Saint Mike,
thanks so much for your tips--I will make note of those.

I've ridden the Camino. Never had a problem at an alburgue. I think that's either a myth OR one cyclist encountered a grumpy, frumpy hospitalero. The other thing I want to point out is:
unless you're in a time crunch or have issues with walking, don't cycle it. The reasons:
1. As far as bike tours go I give it a"meh" much better rides out there especially in Europe.
2. As a pilgrimage it is a vastly more profound as a walk. I've done it twice and walked the second time. As cyclists, we miss out on the community and relationships that are established.
3. It's full of pesky pedestrians. But seriously, many cyclists exhibit zero manners or awareness of walkers. I've had the shit startled out of me by a cyclist that whizzes past with no warning. DON'T BE THAT CYCLIST! Yield to walkers. Walking is far more exhausting than cycling it.
OK, my two cents. Have fun and keep the rubber side down.
Hi Obinjatoo,
I'm actually playing hooky from a conference and have other commitments, so am a little crushed for time.
Your point about missing the community is a good one, but I was thinking I would catch some of the community in the albergues. My favorite part of hiking in Nepal or New Zealand was hanging out in the huts at night with a UN committee of peoples, and I was hoping to replicate that in the albergues, or maybe even meet up with some other cyclists, although I'm not sure how many are there in early April.
If you have any thoughts on better rides in Spain, I'm all ears. I read a little about Camino Puertogues, and that sounded interesting, but maybe less infrastructure.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Russell, I'm staring in Najera on April 4th, also on bike. I'm slow so you'll bound to catch up to me, lol! See you on the Camino. Magda from Toronto, Canada.

Hola Magda,
good to hear there's someone else out there on two wheels! I'm buried with work right now, but need to do some homework reading on logistics of getting the bike there from Madrid, and what to pack, where to start, etc.--I'd love to compare notes with you on what you're doing--I've done a ton of backpacking, but this is my first cycle touring, so I'm still figuring some of that out. I'm not sure where I'm starting yet, San Sebastian? Pamplona?
slow and steady wins the race--anonymous tortoise

Hola Russell, full disclosure this is my first Camino and first cycle touring as well :) I dont have much time so I'm biking for the first 10 days and walking the last 100km. I rented a bike from Cycling-Rentals to simplify, they drop off at starting point, and pick up when you're done. The Camino pack includes everything including panniers. It's a bit expensive but I'm coming from Canada and it just makes sense to me.

Since I'm starting in Najera, I'm not sure about San Sabastian or Pamplona, I imagine there might be snow in the mountains. I'm sure lots of people here will be able to advise. Happy to answer any other questions.

Hola Russell, full disclosure this is my first Camino and first cycle touring as well :)
Since I'm starting in Najera, I'm not sure about San Sabastian or Pamplona, I imagine there might be snow in the mountains. I'm sure lots of people here will be able to advise. Happy to answer any other questions.

Hola Magda & welcome to the Forum. If you have a look on the Biking the Camino page you will find looks of useful info for bike pilgrims. Have a look at report from newfydog (as well as yours truly). Happy to answer questions. Safe riding! Just a point - check if the rental bike has a bell, if not bring one of your own - one that does make some noise - and please use it. The walking pilgrims will appreciate your advance warning that you are approaching. Cheers

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola Magda & welcome to the Forum. If you have a look on the Biking the Camino page you will find looks of useful info for bike pilgrims. Have a look at report from newfydog (as well as yours truly). Happy to answer questions. Safe riding! Just a point - check if the rental bike has a bell, if not bring one of your own - one that does make some noise - and please use it. The walking pilgrims will appreciate your advance warning that you are approaching. Cheers

Thank you! I can't seem to find the "Biking the Camino" page, sorry I'm very new to this forum. And yes, I will definitely bring a bell and I plan to use it. :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hola Russell, full disclosure this is my first Camino and first cycle touring as well :) I dont have much time so I'm biking for the first 10 days and walking the last 100km. I rented a bike from Cycling-Rentals to simplify, they drop off at starting point, and pick up when you're done. The Camino pack includes everything including panniers. It's a bit expensive but I'm coming from Canada and it just makes sense to me.

Hola Magda,
Sounds like you are doing it the smart way--I prefer trial and error, and error, and error--adds to the adventure!
Thanks for the tip on Pamplona snow--I'll have to look into that and work on my snowman skills.
Does your rental company give you some specific itinerary they are recommending--I'm trying to get some idea of reasonable daily distances with altitude gain, etc. Also, what did they advise you to pack with respect to rain gear? I have looked at one of the packing lists for bicigrinos and they don't seem to mention much about rain gear, gloves, booties, etc.--I'm thinking it maybe was more peak summer oriented When I looked at average daily temps, I was seeing highs of 60-62F, which would get pretty cold if you are wet, on a bike.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ohh there will be loads of trial and error on my side too. I only rented the bike and accessories, not the guided tour, so I'm going freestyle like everyone else.

I think it's reasonable to plan approx 50km per day on average, and still have time to smell the roses, at least that's my goal. But 50km in Toronto is not that unusual for me in the summer so I guess it depends on your fitness level.

As for rain gear, I'm bringing a cycling cape: https://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/brooks-england-cambridge-rain-cape.html

Other than the cape, I plan to layer for cold temp. Thermal shirts, fleece, and a jacket. As well as full finger cycling gloves, cycling hat and fleece hat. Ohh and a light sleeping bag. Hope any of this helps!

Ohh there will be loads of trial and error on my side too. I only rented the bike and accessories, not the guided tour, so I'm going freestyle like everyone else.

I think it's reasonable to plan approx 50km per day on average, and still have time to smell the roses, at least that's my goal. But 50km in Toronto is not that unusual for me in the summer so I guess it depends on your fitness level.

As for rain gear, I'm bringing a cycling cape: https://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/brooks-england-cambridge-rain-cape.html

Other than the cape, I plan to layer for cold temp. Thermal shirts, fleece, and a jacket. As well as full finger cycling gloves, cycling hat and fleece hat. Ohh and a light sleeping bag. Hope any of this helps!

Hola Magda
thanks for your response. the bicycle cape sounds interesting--looks like it could cover quite a bit more, as well as allowing you to fulfill any delayed aspirations as a caped crusader--not sure if it would billow out and act like a parachute though... I was thinking about bringing my cycle rain jacket, a rain cover for my helmet, waterproof gloves, and some waterproof shoe covers--the rain jacket I could wear as an extra layer in the cold--the last time I was in Barce in April, en route to a diving trip in Red Sea, I froze my posterior. On the flats, 50K in a day isn't much, but mountains can change that entirely, as can rough trail. I am going to make a new post with some questions you may find relevant.

Hola Russel,

I like your waterproof gloves and shoe cover idea, I guess I'm going back to MEC (Canada's version of REI). Hopefully I'll find something to match my crusader cape ;) And I'll look out for your new post, I could always use some more tips. Thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola Russel,I like your waterproof gloves and shoe cover idea, I guess I'm going back to MEC (Canada's version of REI). Hopefully I'll find something to match my crusader cape ;) And I'll look out for your new post, I could always use some more tips. Thanks!
Based on your departure date of April 4 then if no snow around the Cruz de Ferro or O'Cebreiro it will, in all likelihood be cool (even cold early in the mornings) so I would support the gloves (full fingered ones) not sure about the shoe cover - but a good pair of warm/thermal socks and even lightweight rain pants. I had a pair and wore them the morning I left Rabanal (at 8.30 just as the sun was rising) but took them off after 30 mins as it was too hot & I was starting to sweat. Buen Camino.

Based on your departure date of April 4 then if no snow around the Cruz de Ferro or O'Cebreiro it will, in all likelihood be cool (even cold early in the mornings) so I would support the gloves (full fingered ones) not sure about the shoe cover - but a good pair of warm/thermal socks and even lightweight rain pants. I had a pair and wore them the morning I left Rabanal (at 8.30 just as the sun was rising) but took them off after 30 mins as it was too hot & I was starting to sweat. Buen Camino.

Thanks Saint Mike! this is very helpful, I'm prepared for the cold but not so much rain, except my crusader cape. Buen Camino! :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Magda,
I don't what to clog up this thread--any more than I have! if you want to compare notes, email me doctorcereza@yahoo.com-- I have some other thoughts/ideas. You know, because I have planted the rain seed in your head, it will never rain...

Hola Anemone--I have been digging around in the Bicigrino site for a while--great info and downloads, but I didn't see a specific bike packing list--maybe it was in my blind spot.

Gringodevil and Magda2017 - how were your rides?
I'm riding in September and would love to hear your experiences
Cheers

Hi, if you go to Gronze:

Jill
Thanks Jill i will use this website for help and advice. Thanks for your advice and help

Hey Jill

Hey mate how are you doing? I am well and plan to go from st jean to Santiago de compostela and onto fisterre and muxia and back to Santiago de compostela in 6 weeks
How was your pilgrimage?
God bless you mate

Most read last week in this forum

To CF bicigrinos who cycled from SJPP to Roncesvales, via the Napoleon route (over the Pyrenees): 1) how long did it take you? 2) approximate % of time you pushed bike up the Pyrenees? 3) what...
Good morning, In summer I am going to cycle the Camino de Santiago from Harburgo to Santiago. I need help to find the list of youth hostels or accommodation in this route. The numbers from 1 are...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back