• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Albergues in Alhandra

paddyjv

Time of past OR future Camino
My name is paddy I'm from Ireland and currently in lisbon starting my first ever camino I've read that some albergues are open I've been searching online but only managing to find hostels at €30 to €40 each I'm new to the camino and was looking some help ill be living lisbon early tomorrow morning to walk to Alhandra any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Have you looked on gronze? It's a good resourse and usually up to date. It doesn't list anything for Alhanda, but it does show good options if you stop 6km before or 3.5km after. It's late in the year but you may have better choices further north..
Bom Caminho

paddyjv,
Wishing you a Buen camino as you walk north from Lisbon.
Do let us know what the daily realities are as you continue. Current info is so very useful for all pilgrims especially now.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi everyone
My name is paddy I'm from Ireland and currently in lisbon starting my first ever camino I've read that some albergues are open I've been searching online but only managing to find hostels at €30 to €40 each I'm new to the camino and was looking some help ill be living lisbon early tomorrow morning to walk to Alhandra any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you

Hi, Paddyjvc,

Welcome to the forum! In past years, the bombeiros (firefighters) in Alhandra used to offer pilgrims a place to sleep but they do not do that anymore. Alhandra has neither an albergue nor any private accommodation. The best bet for you seems to be either Vila Franca de Xira or Alverca. The gronze website that others have posted about lists several options in both of those places. Good luck and bom caminho, Laurie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Buen Camino and keep us posted

Hi everyone
Thank you
If you can the walk from Alhandra to Villa Franca de Xira the DP Apartments & Suites hostel/albergue is really good.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi everyone
Thank you for your help and support my legs took me to Alverca today before they give way to rest. I found a nice place to stay called Silvina ferreira guesthouse for €25 nice place and staff very helpful also got my creds stamped yea. I've read another about this part of the route being dangerous because of the motor ways I've only walked a bit on them as I stayed to roads parrel to the motor way (google maps) and the parts I had to walk where fine with a small lane to walk on all the motorists give way for me. All in all very good days walking - the sore legs, feet and shoulders but that's to be expected.
Thanks again guys I'll keep up dated when I can.

If you'd like a leisurely day tomorrow, Vila Franca de Xira is a nice town to spend the afternoon in, checking out the bullring and cemetery and relaxing at the riverside park. Or you can continue to Azambuja where there is an albergue although I don't know if it's open now.

Meanwhile, Alhandra is the birthplace of Afonso de Alburquerque (a towering figure of the Age of Discovery who conquered Goa for Portugal) and there is a cool mural of him on a wall there. Plus it's a nice little town with a colourful main square.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Paddy .... Fair play to you for doing your first Camino at times like these and at this time of the year.

I'm on a bike, in Tomar, so I've just travelled along the route you'll be following so I hope I can give you a few tips.

Things get easier after you're out of the Lisbon sprawl. I took the train to Azambuja (great hostel) and went to Santarem, Golega and today Tomar. Great hostels in all. Don't pay more than 20 max.

Use Gronze.com to find albergues and to plan your route. Don't deviate from it. Phone hostels in advance to check they're open. Use booking.com to reserve.

The hostels are all checking Covid Vax certs, I assume you have one.

Don't push yourself. If you feel pain or tiredness just get a bus or train to the next town. Of course you want to walk all the way but your feet come first.

You won't meet any pilgrims and you'll have the hostel to yoursel, enjoy it. It's lovely country. You can take a bus to Fatima for the day from Tomar, but don't leave the gronze route, it has the arrows and the hostels. Get a dayglo jacket from a Chinese shop for the road bits.

Finally, download Outdoor Active. This app is free and has precise maps of the Camino route, which work off-line.

Buen Camino amigo agus go
n-eirí an bother leat ☘️

Alverca is about a 31 km day, if I did my addition correctly, so that’s a pretty hefty first day. Where did you start, @paddyjv?

I’m glad your legs didn’t wait till Alhandra to give out or you would have been in trouble. 😆
I started at the cathedral in lisbon.I was on my way to Alhandra i had one hour of walking left to get there had to back track abit to get to my guesthouse to rest 😅

Tha
Hi Paddy .... Fair play to you for doing your first Camino at times like these and at this time of the year.

I'm on a bike, in Tomar, so I've just travelled along the route you'll be following so I hope I can give you a few tips.

Things get easier after you're out of the Lisbon sprawl. I took the train to Azambuja (great hostel) and went to Santarem, Golega and today Tomar. Great hostels in all. Don't pay more than 20 max.

Use Gronze.com to find albergues and to plan your route. Don't deviate from it. Phone hostels in advance to check they're open. Use booking.com to reserve.

The hostels are all checking Covid Vax certs, I assume you have one.

Don't push yourself. If you feel pain or tiredness just get a bus or train to the next town. Of course you want to walk all the way but your feet come first.

You won't meet any pilgrims and you'll have the hostel to yoursel, enjoy it. It's lovely country. You can take a bus to Fatima for the day from Tomar, but don't leave the gronze route, it has the arrows and the hostels. Get a dayglo jacket from a Chinese shop for the road bits.

Finally, download Outdoor Active. This app is free and has precise maps of the Camino route, which work off-line.

Buen Camino amigo agus go
n-eirí an bother leat ☘️
Thanks Gerard for the info.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi everyone just a wee up date on camino travels I've arrived at my bed for tonight at the hostel N1 in Santarem (last mile up that hill was a leg killer) my covid test is out of date and I've been advised to get a new one here in Santarem our I will not be able to stay anywhere so going to get that sorted tomorrow. My first two days on the camino I was using Google maps (bad idea for hiking) and walked from lisbon to Azambuga via the motorway. I just like to thank the member on here that recommended the camino ninja app (5 stars). Now I'm on the right track I am looking forward to the rest of my walk.
Thanks again everyone.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Dear people, In April, we will cycle from Seville to Santiago de Compostella on our recumbent tandem. It will be our first time cycling a camino and we are really looking forward to it. After...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back