• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Albergues requiring the Vaccination Card?

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrampSansTom

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2022
Hello Camino Forum -
I'm walking the Camino with my 2 teenage children in April.
I've heard rumors that some Albergues and even restaurants on the Camino are requiring a Vaccination Card before entering?
Has anyone done the Camino recently and noticed this requirement?

Didn't seem very likely to me, but wanted to ask around.
I appreciate the feedback, thanks

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My friend lives in Valencia. She said the Spanish have the EU digital cert. which they show to gain entry to restaurants and other places, and Americans are supposed to be able to show their CDC card, but not all establishments know that the US card is acceptable, and will turn you away. She also said in practice, some establishments strictly check and some don’t bother at all. This seems to track with other info on the forum that regionally it can vary widely. I know Galicia has high compliance, so it may be that we have to show proof to enter any establishment. @ivar ?

Is the French digital conversion from US paper card the same as the EU digital cert?

Didn't seem very likely to me, but wanted to ask around.
I appreciate the feedback, thanks
The regional government of Navarra required it as recently as 28 January - see pages 6 and 7 here - and when you book a bed at the pilgrim albergue in Roncesvalles, which is in Navarra, it currently (February 12, 2022) says on their website:

It is mandatory to present a Covid passport for accommodation in the Hostel.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Is the French digital conversion from US paper card the same as the EU digital cert?
Yes.

However, note that they don't mean the same thing all the time everywhere when they refer to the EU digital certificate.

Currently (Feb 12, 2022), the French digital conversion from US paper is only a EU digital certificate for vaccination. In other contexts, EU digital certificate can mean a certification about vaccination, about recent (maximum 3 days old) negative test, or about recent (maximum a few months back) recovery from infection.

Yes.

However, note that they don't mean the same thing all the time everywhere when they refer to the EU digital certificate.

Currently (Feb 12, 2022), the French digital conversion from US paper is only a EU digital certificate for vaccination. In other contexts, EU digital certificate can mean a certification about vaccination, about recent (maximum 3 days old) negative test, or about recent (maximum a few months back) recovery from infection.
Thank you for the clarification. So if I have the French conversion, it’ll work for entry requiring proof of vaccination, but if for some reason I need to get a test, it cannot be entered into my French conversion, and I’d need a paper copy?

So if I have the French conversion, it’ll work for entry requiring proof of vaccination, but if for some reason I need to get a test, it cannot be entered into my French conversion, and I’d need a paper copy?
In the EU, for every single jab and for every single test, you get an EU certificate. It is nothing else than information (your name, date of birth, date of jab or test, type of jab or test) expressed as a QR code - a square of black and white dots. If you have a conversion done you will get two or three EU certificates, depending on the number of jabs you had so far.

This square can be printed on paper or stored on your mobile phone. You just need to find it, easily and quickly, when you are asked to present it and have it checked. EU people often use a dedicated app where they store all their certificates.

If the certificates/QR squares are on paper, you can scan them into the app (just open the app and point the lens of your phone at the square). If you have them on your mobile phone you can print them out on paper. Whatever you prefer and find more convenient.

When you take a test in a pharmacy or test centre in the EU, they can either sent the QR square to your email or print it on paper or both, whatever you prefer.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In the EU, for every single jab and for every single test, you get an EU certificate. It is nothing else than information (your name, date of birth, date of jab or test, type of jab or test) expressed as a QR code - a square of black and white dots. If you have a conversion done you will get two or three EU certificates, depending on the number of jabs you had so far.

This square can be printed on paper or stored on your mobile phone. You just need to find it, easily and quickly, when you are asked to present it and have it checked. EU people often use a dedicated app where they store all their certificates.

If the certificates/QR squares are on paper, you can scan them into the app (just open the app and point the lens of your phone at the square). If you have them on your mobile phone you can print them out on paper. Whatever you prefer and find more convenient.

When you take a test in a pharmacy or test centre in the EU, they can either sent the QR square to your email or print it on paper or both, whatever you prefer.
Thank you. I think I get it now. I’m a little overwhelmed by all the new stuff. Still trying to get my bearings.

Thank you for the responses. Not surprisingly Spain seems to handle it different in every region.
I saw Spain just recently will allow teenagers to enter from the USA with PCR test. But my main concern is that some restaurant or albergue in Galicia for example may just turn us away if kids don’t have the “fully vaxed” proof.
hoping by April they may not care as much. But either way seems like simplest is just to follow same Vax guidelines as the adults do.

It's all down to the autonomous communities, consequently it varies from one to the other. This web Page has up to date information but the situation changes regularly, just last week some communities lifted use of the COVID passport and in others COVID restrictions have been ruled illegal. I'm a little surprised to see people saying it's need for accommodation because usually, even in those communities that ask for it, it's only needed for restaurants and nightclubs etc .. I suppose some albergues might go further however and request it even though they don't need to (whether that's legal or not I don't know). My biggest issue is your vaccinations are only valid for 9 months without a booster and i am not very keen to get one. That said most of the communities I'll be going through never requested the passport, and as I'm half Spanish i don't need a booster (or even vaccination) to enter Spain.

The Camino Frances runs through Navarra, La Rioja, Castilla y Leon, and Galicia. When you check the relevant websites, you see that this is currently of interest for pilgrims:
  • Navarra: Covid-19 passport required for access to hotels, albergues, restaurants

• La Rioja: Covid-19 passport required for access to hotels, albergues, restaurants

• Castilla y León: has never requested the use of Covid-19 passports. This covers a huge part of the Camino Frances, from before Burgos until after Leon, it covers about half of the length of CF.

• Galicia: restaurants; bars (during the day); albergues (not sure whether only some or all).
And this is the situation in the middle of February, after the Covid Omicron winter peak. There is no reason to fret about this now for a Camino in April.

My question is whether I can function reasonably on the CF for three weeks with just a CDC vax card and printed and cell phone negative entry test? Assuming most towns will have multiple restaurants and accommodations, I just need access to one without a lengthy search party. Thoughts?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My biggest issue is your vaccinations are only valid for 9 months without a booster and i am not very keen to get one.
In my honest opinion it's not a issue , after 9 months you will need a booster or get tested.
And that's not only in Spain.

In my honest opinion it's not a issue , after 9 months you will need a booster or get tested.
And that's not only in Spain.
It's not an issue if you want one yes, it is is if you don't 😂

On a side note, Navarra just eliminated the need for the covid passport according to the Spanish news which I'm just watching.

My question is whether I can function reasonably on the CF for three weeks with just a CDC vax card and printed and cell phone negative entry test? Assuming most towns will have multiple restaurants and accommodations, I just need access to one without a lengthy search party. Thoughts?
Well the negative test won't be worth anything after a few days, it'd only be relevant to get you in. Assuming you are in a place that needs the covid passport (likely to be fewer and fewer as time goes on), I'd be surprised if bars or restaurants in small towns would have ever seen a CDC card before/speak english. I suppose the CF has a fair amount of tourists. If you are doing the CF starting in France just go to a pharmacy and get your CDC card turned into a covid passport, it costs 36 euros, any pharmacy can do it and it'll also work in Spain. I know this because I did that last month for my trip to France and Switzerland.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
question is whether I can function reasonably on the CF for three weeks with just a CDC vax card and printed and cell phone negative entry test?
What is a negative entry test? The QR code required to fly to Spain or the QR negative test code you get after an official Covid-19 test in Spain and that expires after a few days? But lets look at it from a practical point of view, for the Camino Frances:

If you start in SJPP in France then follow the good advice of others and have the data on your CDC vaccination card converted into a proper European certificate in a French pharmacy. Cost is €36 and the end of your worries for the whole walk through Spain.

If not, lets look at it from a practical point of view and for situations usually encountered by pilgrims who will not visit relatives in hospitals for the sick or homes for seniors or amuse themselves all night in night clubs etc etc:
  • Navarra - 7 days. The requirement to present certificates will end on 15 February 2022.

• La Rioja - 2-3 days. The requirement to present certificates will end on 15 February 2022.

• Castilla y León - 17 days. No requirement. You will be housed and fed everywhere.

• Galicia - 7 days. Situation a little unclear. You can buy food in supermarkets and you will be fed in hotels, casa rurales etc if they have an in-house restaurant or similar. No need for a certificate to be housed by them. Also no issues in pilgrim albergues who have opted for 75% occupancy instead of 100% occupancy.
Sounds survivable to me 😇. Buen Camino! When are you going?

What is a negative entry test? The QR code required to fly to Spain or the QR negative test code you get after an official Covid-19 test in Spain and that expires after a few days? But lets look at it from a practical point of view, for the Camino Frances:

If you start in SJPP in France then follow the good advice of others and have the data on your CDC vaccination card converted into a proper European certificate in a French pharmacy. Cost is €36 and the end of your worries for the whole walk through Spain.

If not, lets look at it from a practical point of view and for situations usually encountered by pilgrims who will not visit relatives in hospitals for the sick or homes for seniors or amuse themselves all night in night clubs etc etc:
  • Navarra - 7 days. The requirement to present certificates will end on 15 February 2022.

• La Rioja - 2-3 days. The requirement to present certificates will end on 15 February 2022.

• Castilla y León - 17 days. No requirement. You will be housed and fed everywhere.

• Galicia - 7 days. Situation a little unclear. You can buy food in supermarkets and you will be fed in hotels, casa rurales etc if they have an in-house restaurant or similar. No need for a certificate to be housed by them. Also no issues in pilgrim albergues who have opted for 75% occupancy instead of 100% occupancy.
Agree, sounds manageable, especially since my primary amusement at night is sleep and most of my route is through CyL. Thanks for the insight,

Going March 12-28. Burgos to Ponferrada.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think the issue for those of us not coming through Spain is whether our CDC card will be accepted. So far, we have not heard reports from any US travelers that they had a problem with their CDC card. And I imagine that as more US visitors arrive in Spain and Portugal over the next few months, restaurant and accommodation owners will become more familiar with the card. That is my hope, as one who arrives right after Easter.

At the moment the situation in Galicia is:
any dormitory can be used for 50% only, unless everyone has a test of full vaccination. Especially in the months that albergues will be filled with more then 50%, I suppose albergues will ask a proof of vaccination from anyone. In our albergue, we will anyway.
Not one knows if or when this rule might change any moment.

any dormitory can be used for 50% only, unless everyone has a test of full vaccination. Especially in the months that albergues will be filled with more then 50%, I suppose albergues will ask a proof of vaccination from anyone. In our albergue, we will anyway.
Thanks for doing that!! I really hope unvaccinated people will not be able to stay in dormitories. That would be insane. I know Spain’s vaccination rate is high and the trauma of the virus hitting was huge. So let’s all hope people will think and then travel:) thank you for checking thoroughly

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thomas
IMHO, it has been unclear on what will be proof of vaccination. Will your albergue be accepting the US CDC card as proof of being vaccinated, or is the EU vaccine passport card required? If albergue's will only only allow EU vaccine passports, will most EU pharmacy's issue an EU vaccine passport with proof of their US CDC passport for their nominal fee.

Thomas
IMHO, it has been unclear on what will be proof of vaccination. Will your albergue be accepting the US CDC card as proof of being vaccinated, or is the EU vaccine passport card required? If albergue's will only only allow EU vaccine passports, will most EU pharmacy's issue an EU vaccine passport with proof of their US CDC passport for their nominal fee.
While the French government does not list the US as transferable vac. Card, reports say you can. They charge 36 euro. In other countries the price might vary or is free.

While the French government does not list the US as transferable vac. Card, reports say you can. They charge 36 euro. In other countries the price might vary or is free.
Or they don't have an option to convert the CDC card to an EU vaccine certificate. I haven't heard of a way to do this in Spain or Portugal.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A friend who walked the Norte in January/February told me “ if you want to fly to Spain you have to fill out a form on the internet and then you need the vaccination proof then Spain will send you the Covid passport”. The passport has a QR code on it.

I am thinking that you do this through the SpTH app (Spain Travel Health). Sorry to drop a rumor here but I haven’t had a chance to verify how this works. But I submit it for consideration.
What your friend is talking about is the SpTH form that everyone arriving by air or sea has to fill out to enter Spain, and includes a QR code. However, this QR code is only for entry into Spain. It cannot be used as proof of vaccination in any localities that require it.

Last year, I came across not a single Albergue that wanted to know my vaccination status.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm in Santiago now. Within the past week at the Xunta albergues in A Gudiña, Laza, Xunqueria de Ambia, Ourense, Cea and Outeiro I was asked to show a vaccination certificate at entry.
Thank you for this feedback, @Bradypus. And good to hear from you anyway ...

It is important to have current information. Accurate and relevant information about time and place. What was required last summer in Castilla y Leon is irrelevant when people need to know what is required today and tomorrow in Galicia and Navarra.

Speaking of which, I checked the newest of the newest news. Isn't there impending change in Galicia?

Or they don't have an option to convert the CDC card to an EU vaccine certificate. I haven't heard of a way to do this in Spain or Portugal.
Don’t know about Spain. SpanBritt obviously did it in France… but I am sure they will adapt in case the rules stay the same and the tourists come back.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm in Santiago now. Within the past week at the Xunta albergues in A Gudiña, Laza, Xunqueria de Ambia, Ourense, Cea and Outeiro I was asked to show a vaccination certificate at entry.
Good to know.

I think we should call for a time out.

I usually try to check the legal sources before I post but haven't done so. Anyone, please check to make sure that you are up to date. Tomorrow is the 1st of March 2022. This is what Spanish newspapers write about the mandatory use of el pasaporte Covid; the quotes are limited to the regions of the Camino Frances:

NAVARRA
-- Sin restricciones obligatorias.

LA RIOJA
-- Este mismo lunes 28 de febrero decae la obligación del pasaporte Covid en La Rioja.

CASTILLA Y LEÓN
-- Sin restricciones obligatorias.

GALICIA
-- Obligatorio el uso del pasaporte covid para visitas a hospitales y residencias.
-- Limitación de comensales por mesa en hostelería: 10 en interior y 20 en exterior.

Same info and image can be seen on the map of RTVE (La Rioja not yet updated).

Isn't this the end of the discussion on Albergues in Spain requiring the Vaccination Card?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.