• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alburgues use if you did not walk the previous stage?

coldweather

Hola:

I am preparing to start my first pilgrimage and during training I suffered a knee injury (MCL tear). The doctor says it is OK for my to try to walk the Camino.

I have doubts and may need a day or two of rest. I am walking with a partner.

If my partner walks and I need to taxi ahead to our destination for the night, may I use the Albergue? Will I have to use a private hotel? I am concerned about the added expense.

I am open to any suggestions.

Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello

My first question would be when you are walking? If in the "high season" it might be difficult for them to hold a bed for you. If in the "slower season" it would be easier. I have had friends with the same concerns, and I am happy to let you know the Camino provided for them.

As for me, I was able to spend an extra night in Burgos as I was willing to sleep on the floor. Just past "lights out", the hospitalero invited my Camino sister and I to sleep on some cushions in his room. That was really nice. I should say we volunteered in the morning of our "day off" to help him clean the refugio. Win-win.

If the refugio will not have any extra beds, some places might have a "peregrino's price" for a simple room. No matter, you'll be taken care of.

Hmm...maybe it's your friend who takes a day off and waits for you.
:wink:

I walked quite a bit in 2008 with a couple from Quebec, who began walking in Cahors in France. Once they had walked in Spain for a while, the wife developed considerable difficulties with a knee, and on a few occasions took transport (taxi/bus) for at least some of a stage while her husband walked it. Sometimes they booked into a pension if she did this, but she never had problems getting into an albergue with him when he arrived. (In June, however, the albergues were not often full.) Hospitaleros could see immediately that she was in pain, and often found ice to put on her knee.

The only really hurtful thing happened one day when she emerged from a taxi at Vega de Valcarce, to be absolutely berated by a 'pilgrim' who angrily told her that she was 'not a true pilgrim'. In fact, she had walked 10km that morning, but was in serious pain. Since she was going to have to climb O'Cebreiro the next day, she and her husband decided to call a taxi for her in Villafranca del Bierzo, while he walked on. The 'pilgrim' who berated her had absolutely no idea about the pain she was in, and the heroism she had been showing for many kilometres.

She made it to Santiago, and walked stages as short as she needed in the last 100km to be sure of arriving.
Margaret

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I think there is everything right about your post Margaret.

We don't know another's story unless we ask.

Such a shame to be judged. Such a blessing to fulfill our spirit the best we can.

Even if we know someone's story, remember that the pilgrimage accommodations are not designed to be a cheap vacation. They have been established to support walkers, and eventually bikers, having a humble pilgrimage. The rules vary, particularly in the private albergues, but they generally require that pilgrims arrive under their own power carrying their temporary worldly goods. Pilgrims who do not do this should try to complete their very valid camino in hoteles, pensiones, and hostales. Be humble by considering the needs of the pilgrims who have endured a hard day only to find all the albergue beds occupied by bus or taxi tourists, and seek the accommodations at a slightly higher cost.

I, in 2 instances arrived at an albergue by Taxi last summer.

1st was after walking for 2 weeks with very bad pain I just didn't have it in me to continue that day. When after walking about 15k I came across a Taxi someone else was getting into I asked could I come along to the next albergue. This was a private albergue.

A few days later, on top og the leg pains I fell ill with a stomach flu and had to give up after 20k being dehydrated and miserable, with fever shivers and all. I managed to make my way to the next bar 1-1,5 km off route and had them call a cab to the next public albergue where the hospitalero made me tea and let me go to bed even if this was before they officially opened for the day.

There was actually one more instance where I got so severely lost 5km out of Logroño I think it was, semi big city anyways. This was late afternoon and the place was deserted. Finally I spot a man in a car and went and asked for directions. But as he didn't speak English and the way was not straightforward, he gave up trying to tell me and offered me a ride instead, which I took and was happy, as walking back would have taken hours, and as always I was in pain, this day so much my leg would collapse when i put weight on it

anyways, never in one of these instances did anyone question my "right" to a bed with my friends and fellow travelers, nor did I question it myself, even if I was honest about what had been happening.

I can see that someone thinks I should have booked myself into a hotel on these occasions, but then that is their opinion, mine seems to differ...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is a qualitative difference between taking a taxi to finish a stage after being injured, or taking a taxi from one albergue to another when the first is full, and intending to repeatedly take a taxi for the balance of the pilgrimage. When one has stopped being a pilgrim for whatever reason, it has become time to consider whether using albergues is denying a bed to a pilgrim who is enduring the rigors of daily walking and carrying a backpack. At some point a pilgrimage can become a desire for a cheap vacation, and I think each of us knows that transition point. The one-legged pilgrim I met used a baggage service because he could not carry a full pack and keep his balance. He carried just water. He stayed only in the places that would accept transported baggage. He knew the rules, and in all humility, he obeyed them. One leg. Perhaps when one compares a blister or tendonitis to walking from SJPdP to Fisterra on crutches (for justification of one's accommodation of one's condition) a new perspective will appear.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back