• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternative to a sleeping bag

Ladybird1093

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
Do i need a sleeping bag on the French route in September? What can be a good alternative? Would a silk liner be enough? I will appreciate any ideas and your experience to help me decide. Thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Do i need a sleeping bag on the French route in September? What can be a good alternative? Would a silk liner be enough? I will appreciate any ideas and your experience to help me decide. Thanks.
I use a silk sleep sack and a very small down blanket - I cut a larger blanket down to be the same size as the sleep sack. I tuck the blanket inside the sleep sack on cool/cold nights.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Depends on how your tolerance for cold temperatures is and what kind of accommodation you choose.

Private rooms / Hotels usually have blankets and linens.

Some albergues have wool blankets, but not all. So if you're cold with your liner, you're cold.

For albergues I'd always bring a small and lightweight sleeping bag, but that's Personal choice, as I've been cold in july even with the lightweight sleeping bag.

Some albergues are not heated so it can get cold at night.

If you want to find out what works for you, try at home. Wear what you'd wear at night in the albergue, and then sleep like that in the liner, at around 10°C. If you're fine with that, you might be OK with only a liner.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I used a Kammok Bobcat 45. Expensive but extremely lightweight, packs down to nothing and warm. It’s also something you can use at home after the Camino. I carried a silk liner but never used it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have fallen in love with my "HangTite" quilt. Very small, very light(14 oz.), only $45. Supposedly 45f rated , but comfortable at 55f and up.

I agree with MichaelC, a Snugpak"Jungle Blanket," is an essential alternative to a whole sleeping bag. I use it regularly around the house as well.

li-color.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sea to sumit do a thermal sleeping bag liner designed to add some degrees of warmth to your sleeping bag. I am planning on taking mine along with my silk sleeping bag liner to be sure I have that extra warmth on those colder nights.
Also my lightweight synthetic down jacket can be used and sun gloves on hands, buff on head for a hot - all can be used to keep warm.
Buen Camino x

I brought a Naturehike compact sleeping bag in April 2018. This time round I am going in end September, I gonna bring a polar fleece sleeping bag liner instead. Since we will be sleeping in albergues not outdoor, I think it should be warm enough.

You probably can find something similar on Amazon.

Greetings,

I would suggest sleeping in soft clothing, which you could wear while walking. I used a flannel twin size sheet as a blanket as well.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
They have one pound down blankets on Amazon for about $70. That’s what I’ve been using in Spring along with a silk liner (lows of 38 and above). I sleep cold, so a liner alone wouldn’t cut it for me.

Do I need to bring one from 22nd of April until 11th of May? I have to choose between bringing none (meaning only a silk liner) or a 1.8 kg sleeping bag I have here. If you had to choose between the two, what would you do in that period?
I would need something more than a silk liner. If you decide against the sleeping bag, do you have a down jacket or vest with you? Thermal underwear? Look at all your clothing to determine how you could layer up at night.

Also consider what layers of clothes you can wear inside whatever sleeping/bag/blanket/liner you choose.
I use a lightweight sleeping bag in spring and sometimes still have needed to wear my fleece to bed. I actually choose to sleep in my clean clothes when I stay in albergues so I make sure they are very comfortable and that the fabrics have some "give" in them.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I will walk in September and will use a down blanket (300g) and a silk sheet + pillowcase. The blanket has a pocket with a zip on it, actually it's the bag it's in that turns around. Smart way to keep valuables while sleeping.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.