• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternatives on the Camino Frances - 1 - LINTZOAIN > ZABALDIKA

GunnarW

Time of past OR future Camino
2011+ > Spain, Belgium, France
In September 2023, I walked the Camino Frances again after 12 years between St.-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Burgos. Between 2011 and 2023, I did other caminos mostly in France. I found that at certain moments the Camino Frances runs too much alongside busy roads. The N135 and the N120 are not your best friends.

The Brierley guide already lists some alternatives. I already liked that there are even more described than 12 years ago. I started looking to see if more variations were possible. And yes, I found several. Between St.-Jean Pied de Port and Burgos, I left the camino several times. Sometimes a whole day, sometimes an hour. Of course, the walking day then becomes longer and you hardly meet anyone. There are no supplies along the road either. At most, water is available. I did note that you are rewarded for those extra kilometres.
I am now going to publish my findings in 5 episodes. This could be interesting, especially for pilgrims doing the Camino Frances a second time. You often read here in this forum that the Camino Frances is a busy road running alongside busy roads.

1. LINTZOAIN - ZABALDIKA (25,4 km)

ALT-LINTZOAIN-ZABALDIKA.png
Screenshot from Garmin-map at https://www.freizeitkarte-osm.de/ with modified 6724.TYP
After Zubiri, the Camino Frances runs close to the N135. On the map, I noted that there are opportunities both left and right in the hills. The advantage is that a hiking trail has already been partially mapped out thanks to the GR225. You also encounter two small villages and after the second village there is a fountain with a glass on a pole.

01 (254).JPG

01 (266).JPG

The ideal overnight stay to start this hike is in Lintzoain, a village just after Espinal.
The Camino Frances # GR225 "SAIGOTS" junction is clearly signposted after 4 km. You follow the GR (red and white) past Saigots and Leranotz. In Leranotz (10.8 km) there is a water tap close to the church. After Leranotz, there is a fountain where you can use a glass.

01 (285) - Copy.JPG

01 (294).JPG

01 (289).JPG

01 (299).JPG

01 (328).JPG

The kilometres progress slowly. But the views are great. There were wild horses on the road and I counted seven queen pages (butterflies), two of which I was able to film.
Just before the hilltop Elixato, I left the GR225 as it was getting late. I still wanted to spend the night in Zabaldika. That was a good choice as I had bed number 17. Five minutes later, the last bed was taken.

Difficulty: a little bit easier than the walk through the Pyrenees.
Conclusion: a great adventure however no guarantee of spending the night in Zabaldika.

01 (352).JPG

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We are considering this route. A recent comment on Wise Pilgrim about the donativo notes that the sisters do not wish to do pre booking and ask that Wise Pilgrim remove “reservations accepted” from their Services listing. Wise Pilgrim - can you please investigate? I’d love to pre book if possible.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back