• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alto Pradela route - amazing.

thejoker

Official Blister Popper
Time of past OR future Camino
Many
Just walked my first Alto Pradela variant route after Villafranca del Bierzo. Previously I'd always walked the road through the valley.
I HIGHLY (caps intentional) recommend considering the Pradela route. It is initially challenging and not the right choice for most non-athlete type pilgrims walking the full Villafranca to O Cebreiro book stage. It is a fabulous alternative with a wonderful cafe-albergue in Pradela selling delicious chestnut cake and strength-giving home-made strong chestnut liquor in the cutest tiny thimble glasses. The views throughout the way along with the hundreds of chestnut trees are stunning, as is the massive vegetable farm garden.
I thought it was a really beautiful route and a highlight of my Camino so far, though almost everybody appears to take the valley road route via Pereje. I stayed in Vega de Valcarce and recommend a valley end point (or even the Pradela albergue) if walking the variant, as it really is just too lovely to rush

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
We liked that variant as well. It is a climb so bring plenty of water.

Right after crossing the bridge leaving town head uphill on Calle Pradela, the ramp in the picture below.
screenshot_20211102-075628-01-jpeg.112437

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Never walked the valley route. First time, i walked via Pradela. Loved it, but kinda hard.
Second time, i walked the Dragonte variant. Even more stunning, but a very exhausting walk so maybe not for everybody. But for those who enjoyed the walk from St.Jean to Roncesvalles, i recommend looking into it.

Never walked the valley route. First time, i walked via Pradela. Loved it, but kinda hard.
Second time, i walked the Dragonte variant. Even more stunning, but a very exhausting walk so maybe not for everybody. But for those who enjoyed the walk from St.Jean to Roncesvalles, i recommend looking into it.
Oh the Dragonte scares me so much and it takes me 2 days to get to Roncesvalles, but who knows...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just walked my first Alto Pradela variant route after Villafranca del Bierzo. Previously I'd always walked the road through the valley.
I HIGHLY (caps intentional) recommend considering the Pradela route. It is initially challenging and not the right choice for most non-athlete type pilgrims walking the full Villafranca to O Cebreiro book stage. It is a fabulous alternative with a wonderful cafe-albergue in Pradela selling delicious chestnut cake and strength-giving home-made strong chestnut liquor in the cutest tiny thimble glasses. The views throughout the way along with the hundreds of chestnut trees are stunning, as is the massive vegetable farm garden.
I thought it was a really beautiful route and a highlight of my Camino so far, though almost everybody appears to take the valley road route via Pereje. I stayed in Vega de Valcarce and recommend a valley end point (or even the Pradela albergue) if walking the variant, as it really is just too lovely to rush
Have walked it twice and indeed a walk in the clouds. It was originally a Roman road and it shows . A good albergue in La Faba

Peg got ahead of me coming down the mountain from Pradela and drank about a half liter of water from a fountain in Trabadelo before I pointed to its "water quality not guaranteed" sign. She was very upset because she had already been terribly sick on the meseta. Fortunately a local showed up to fill some bottles for herself and assured her that the water was safe to drink. This was in 2015 so find your own local in case things have changed.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We chose this alternative in May of this year because we recalled how ugly the road route was when we last walked the CF in 2018. Be aware that this is alternative is mountain and is a tough go on the way up up up and down down down!

What was very funny was that the next morning at our amazing albergue (Pension Fernandez in Vega de Valcarse) we were talking with others about the prior day's walk. Two pilgrims talked about the "lovely river walk" they had - this was the ugly road route we remembered, but they had a completely different perspective on it and only paid attention to the river on the one side and not the road on the other - love it!

Two pilgrims talked about the "lovely river walk" they had - this was the ugly road route we remembered, but they had a completely different perspective on it and only paid attention to the river on the one side and not the road on the other
That's also how I remember it from my first Camino. I do like to focus on the pleasant views.

I agree. We walked this Variant twice and loved it. The views are spectacular!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.