• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

American Pilgrims - April

mlhhome

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (X3), VDLP, Madrid ‘12-‘22
Greetings from Memphis,
I am committed to the Camino Frances during the month of April and am quite curious if there are any other Americans/Canadians on this route during the same time period.

As we say in Memphis - Thank you, Thank your very much!

Mike

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The crowd begins to grow in April, so you will not be alone. As to Americans and Canadians, they go in about equal numbers, but the U.S. is five times the size of Canada. If you are looking for English speaking pilgrims, you will find Irish, English, and Scots plentiful, and you will be surprised by the number from Australia and New Zealand. For non-native English speaking pilgrims, the Germans, who are the most plentiful non-Spanish pilgrims, seem to be quite capable in English. The film "The Way" may cause a surge in English-speaking pilgrims, but April might be too soon to see the effect.

Mlhhome,
We are starting to plan our pilgrimage for April 2013 on the camino Frances, starting in St Jean. How was your camino? Any info on how the weather was on the camino in April? Any trouble finding accommodations along the way at that time of year? Any advice on travel arrangements from the US? Thanks in advance for any info

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I finished in April of this year. The weather was fine, a bit of snow in some high spots, but limited rain. I took a light sleeping bag, but rarely used it. No crowds at all. They do not start until June, usually.

Mike's words:
Re: Class of 2013

Postby mlhhome on 31 May 2012, 16:09
Hola!
I returned from my first Camino a month ago today! It was deeper than wonderful and has certainly helped my vision to what is important. The weather was incredible on my Camino - rain, rain, snow and rain... I am not complaining as the weather was certainly a binding agent to those who walked together.

I miss my Camino family and eagerly for another set of emails and photos to relive meals, cafe con leche and drying out.

I am "addicted" and will be returning next September/October to experience a new Camino! As much as I am tempted to walk another route...I am committed to Camino Frances!

Hopefully I will see you SJPdP

Memphis Mike

falcon269 said:
I finished in April of this year. The weather was fine, a bit of snow in some high spots, but limited rain. I took a light sleeping bag, but rarely used it. No crowds at all. They do not start until June, usually.

I walked two weeks later than falcon and the weather was not fine at all. It was raining, snowing, hailing, thunder storms and heavy wind 23 days out of 29 days. I was caught up by a snow storm in Foncebadon (felt like Jack Nicholson in The Shining).

The albergues were cold and damp with no heating or heating a couple of hours before bed time. The convento in Samos was damp and cold - I was sleeping in my sleeping bag with one blanket under me and one on top of me with a beanie on my head. Some pilgs slept wearing gloves! I love my down light- weight sleeping bag (400gr) and used it every night.

There was no way washing clothes every day - they would not get dry by the morning. We all were stinking like h..l. I love my Altus - such a life- saver!

I still liked my camino - it was a good experience and I DID IT - I walked from Irun to Santo Domingo and continued on the Frances to SDC. 780 km in 29 days.

So the weather in Northern Spain can be ANYTHING and EVERYTHING in April.

I also walked in April 2011 and it didn´t rain more than some showers during 3 days out of 21 days on CF.

Be prepared to anything!
Buen camino,

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.