• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

An accident or near-daylight robbery? - a safety reminder

katie@camino

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, SJPDP-Finisterre 2016;CP (Central) Porto-SdC 2017;CP (Coastal) Porto-SdC 2018;CF Leon-SdC 2019
After getting off the bus from Logroño to Burgos, I realised I didn't have my small cross-body satchel, containing passport, money, bank cards, credencial (Zpacks, a tip from @davebugg) that I always wear. I had stupidly placed it on the seat next to me.

I asked 2 fellow passengers (we'll call them A and B) who had aso just disembarked if they had seen it, they said no but were very kind and advised me to speak to the (grumpy) bus driver. The security guard at the bus station called the police, who swiftly arrived and took me to the police station. Frantically, I cancelled one of my bank cards (thankyou UAE, for making it so easy to do via whatsapp) and initiated cancelling another card. The consula office told me I would need to go to Madrid to get a new passport. On the way to the police station, police noticed A and B (based on my description) walking along a street and stopped to ask them questions about other pasengers on the bus and assured them that they would be looking at cameras to find who had taken my satchel.

I arrived at the police station and was about to make a statement, when one of the police officers told me not to get too excited but they had received a call from A and B who may have found my satchel.

I got back in the police car and we drove to an apartment. Out walked A and B, with my satchel, who reported they must have accidentally picked it up when they were gathering their belongings. They were profusely sorry.

Now, who knows what really happened.

But I wonder, IF they did something nefarious, perhaps a) the quick and serious response by the station security guard and police, b) the seriousness of taking a passport as opposed to solely some money, c) learning of the presence of cameras made a difference.

If the security guard hadn't called the police to come to the station, instead of directing me to go to the station by myself; if police hadn't responded so swiftly and if police hadn't been so observant and proactive in noticing and approaching A and B while driving from the station, this would be a much worse story.

As it is, it has a, if not quite happy, very relieved ending. I am aware that very few stories of theft/loss would have an ending such as this and I am so so thankful that I can continue without inconvenience.

I am grateful for A and B's bravery in coming forward and returning my satchel, regardless of whether it ended up in their hands by accident or opportunity.

So, yet another warning - please do take care of your belongings!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Gosh, that was a near miss @katie@camino Good for you reporting straight away to the driver / security guard who contacted police. As you say, you’ll never be sure what happened, but thankfully you got your satchel back and have provided a great reminder to us all. 🙏

Gosh, that was a near miss @katie@camino Good for you reporting straight away to the driver / security guard who contacted police. As you say, you’ll never be sure what happened, but thankfully you got your satchel back and have provided a great reminder to us all. 🙏
Thankyou @Pelerina! I was VERY lucky!

I forgot to mention that, given where A and B were sitting on the bus (on the opposite side, 2 rows in front of me), it was hard to imagine my satchel getting 'accidentally' swept up in their things.

And I truly do think it took a lot of courage for them to contact the police to return it.

Police and security were all fantastic, genuinely caring - definitely Camino angels. I hope all pilgrims and non-pilgrims get this same level of support!

It was a crazy couple of hours, and a lot of emotions, still trying to process it!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Your story of leaving your cross body bag accidently in your seat on the bus is a main reason I use a waist bag for all important documents, etc. It is never in the way of anything I do, I never have to think about where it is, and never comes off until I shower end of the day.

Last edited:
After getting off the bus from Logroño to Burgos, I realised I didn't have my small cross-body satchel, containing passport, money, bank cards, credencial (Zpacks, a tip from @davebugg) that I always wear. I had stupidly placed it on the seat next to me.

I asked 2 fellow passengers (we'll call them A and B) who had aso just disembarked if they had seen it, they said no but were very kind and advised me to speak to the (grumpy) bus driver. The security guard at the bus station called the police, who swiftly arrived and took me to the police station. Frantically, I cancelled one of my bank cards (thankyou UAE, for making it so easy to do via whatsapp) and initiated cancelling another card. The consula office told me I would need to go to Madrid to get a new passport. On the way to the police station, police noticed A and B (based on my description) walking along a street and stopped to ask them questions about other pasengers on the bus and assured them that they would be looking at cameras to find who had taken my satchel.

I arrived at the police station and was about to make a statement, when one of the police officers told me not to get too excited but they had received a call from A and B who may have found my satchel.

I got back in the police car and we drove to an apartment. Out walked A and B, with my satchel, who reported they must have accidentally picked it up when they were gathering their belongings. They were profusely sorry.

Now, who knows what really happened.

But I wonder, IF they did something nefarious, perhaps a) the quick and serious response by the station security guard and police, b) the seriousness of taking a passport as opposed to solely some money, c) learning of the presence of cameras made a difference.

If the security guard hadn't called the police to come to the station, instead of directing me to go to the station by myself; if police hadn't responded so swiftly and if police hadn't been so observant and proactive in noticing and approaching A and B while driving from the station, this would be a much worse story.

As it is, it has a, if not quite happy, very relieved ending. I am aware that very few stories of theft/loss would have an ending such as this and I am so so thankful that I can continue without inconvenience.

I am grateful for A and B's bravery in coming forward and returning my satchel, regardless of whether it ended up in their hands by accident or opportunity.

I know I shouldn't post this BUT, why would you take off your most precious doc container? In the shower, surely, but only then.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Your story of leaving your cross body bag of accidently leaving it in your seat on the bus is a main reason I use a waist bag for all important documents, etc. It is never in the way of anything I do and never comes off until I shower end of the day.
That's what I'm usually like too @Camino Chrissy, even while doing my handwashing! So today I was pretty cross with myself for being so complacent!

I know I shouldn't post this BUT, why would you take off your most precious doc container? In the shower, surely, but only then.
Exactly, @basquelady , I really don't know what I was thinking!

Edited to add - it might have been the sleepless night in Logroño bc of the raucous street noises near Calle Laurel, coupled with the series of early morning wakings to avoid walking in the heat of the day that clouded my decision making.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Your story of leaving your cross body bag of accidently leaving it in your seat on the bus is a main reason I use a waist bag for all important documents, etc. It is never in the way of anything I do and never comes off until I shower end of the day.
A cross body bag is just as good as a waist bag in terms of never leaving your body. What matters is the habit and vigilence in using it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A cross body bag is just as good as a waist bag in terms of never leaving your body. What matters is the habit and vigilence in using it.
I use crossover purses all the time at home and love them, but not ion Camino with a backpack. They bounce around a little on my thigh walking or when removing or hoisting my backpack...more a nuisance for me. I've tried them out, but they are not for me.

Edited to add...They do look rather posh, though.😉

Last edited:
Passport, credit cards and cash should always be kept in a money belt under your cloths. It never leaves my body! In some cases, I even slept with my money belt.

A fanny pack always marks you as an easy target for theft, no matter how it is worn. Keep valuable out of sight and you won't become a target!

-Paul

They bounce around a little on my thigh walking or when removing or hoisting my backpack...more a nuisance for me.
Yes, each type of bag has its advantages and disadvantages, but both can be used very effectively and comfortably, with equal security for your valuables. Which one suits you better depends on various factors including body type, adjustments you make to the bag straps, and how your backpack fits you.

Edit to add: No one has ever looked at me with my cross-body bag and said "She looks very posh." :D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Passport, credit cards and cash should always be kept in a money belt under your cloths. It never leaves my body! In some cases, I even slept with my money belt.

A fanny pack always marks you as an easy target for theft, no matter how it is worn. Keep valuable out of sight and you won't become a target!

-Paul
I used to carry a money belt under my clothes, back when I was young and carrying enough traveller's cheques for 6 months of travel. I'd take out a few as needed.

I can't imagine carrying my credit card in a money belt under my clothes. I wouldn't want to reach into my pants (other than my pockets) every time I make a purchase. I don't at home. I don't think the Camino is that much of a greater risk than the city I live in. I carry cash (a limited quantity that I can afford to lose in a worst case scenario) and credit card and debit card where I can reach them, like at home. I carry a different credit card and debit card, from different banks, elsewhere. Should the cards I regularly use be stolen (or have problems) I have a backup.

I have been pondering this exactly for my upcoming camino... I settled on just carrying my passport, money and cards in a zipped pocket of my cargo shorts, eliminating the possibility of accidently leaving a waist or cross over bag laying around... Any reason this is not sound?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I used to carry a money belt under my clothes, back when I was young and carrying enough traveller's cheques for 6 months of travel. I'd take out a few as needed.

I can't imagine carrying my credit card in a money belt under my clothes. I wouldn't want to reach into my pants (other than my pockets) every time I make a purchase. I don't at home. I don't think the Camino is that much of a greater risk than the city I live in. I carry cash (a limited quantity that I can afford to lose in a worst case scenario) and credit card and debit card where I can reach them, like at home. I carry a different credit card and debit card, from different banks, elsewhere. Should the cards I regularly use be stolen (or have problems) I have a backup.
Agree with all of this @David Tallan. In my satchel were 2 debit cards from 2 different banks/accounts. The third debit card (another bank/account) lives on the back of my phone (very essy to access for purchases) and that's the one I predominantly use - it's very unlikely that anyone would be able to get their hands on my phone. And I don't carry a lot of cash.

Katie, you are much more generous than I would be with your assessment of A& B's 'courage'. I see the initial act as cowardly and their subsequent 'discovery' of your bag in their items as cowardly. They were simply trying to save their own butts out of fear that their deliberate action would be revealed through security camera video.

I am so glad this had a happy ending for you. It must have been a very fraught couple of hours. It's a cautionary tale for all peregrinos and thank you for relaying it.

I have been pondering this exactly for my upcoming camino... I settled on just carrying my passport, money and cards in a zipped pocket of my cargo shorts, eliminating the possibility of accidently leaving a waist or cross over bag laying around... Any reason this is not sound?
A skilled razor-blade artist can deftly slice through the bottom of an outside-garment pocket, or a backpack, or purse, without being detected. Pickpockets work in team: some team members create a distraction(s), others do the harvesting.

To reduce such risk, I keep my critically-important documents inside a sweat-proof plastic baggie, inside a flesh-coloured cross-body money pouch, under my shirt.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A skilled razor-blade artist can deftly slice through the bottom of an outside-garment pocket, or a backpack, or purse, without being detected. Pickpockets work in team: some team members create a distraction(s), others do the harvesting.

To reduce such risk, I keep my critically-important documents inside a sweat-proof plastic baggie, inside a flesh-coloured cross-body money pouch, under my shirt.
There is certainly a risk. Personally, I judge the risk of encountering a skilled razor blade artist or pickpocket team who want to target me between Cee and Finisterre (or between Tineo and Grandas de Salime, earlier in my Camino) to be on par with me being struck by a meteor. Possible, but highly unlikely and nothing I spend a great deal of worry or precaution about. I am ready to face the consequences of my misjudgement should my assessment of the risk be in error.

The risk level would be different in Pamplona during the San Fermines, or in Barcelona on La Rambla.

I am semi tech literate. I have a wallet on my phone. There I can pay for things using Revolut, paypal and my visa debit. It always pleases me - how sad is that - at home, at the till in the supermarket - when it works. That saves such a lot of hassle and no need for cash or change or whatever. It also worked in Spain recently. The real cards are well under control and out of sight. The bank account has limited funds, although in a case of theft - oh dear, what distress might ensue !
Sympathies to op.

I am semi tech literate. I have a wallet on my phone. There I can pay for things using Revolut, paypal and my visa debit. It always pleases me - how sad is that - at home, at the till in the supermarket - when it works. That saves such a lot of hassle and no need for cash or change or whatever. It also worked in Spain recently. The real cards are well under control and out of sight. The bank account has limited funds, although in a case of theft - oh dear, what distress might ensue !
Sympathies to op.
We are living in a science fiction world. I remember the first time I went to a supermarket, stepped on the pressure pad, and the door opened in front of me (this was long before they used light beams). I thought I was in Star Trek.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Katie, you are much more generous than I would be with your assessment of A& B's 'courage'. I see the initial act as cowardly and their subsequent 'discovery' of your bag in their items as cowardly. They were simply trying to save their own butts out of fear that their deliberate action would be revealed through security camera video.

I am so glad this had a happy ending for you. It must have been a very fraught couple of hours. It's a cautionary tale for all peregrinos and thank you for relaying it.
Thankyou @Sheesh and i completely understand your point of view! And yes the police officer said, and I noted it at the time, that learning of the presence of cameras did seem to spook them. I agree that it's a shame that my initial appeal to them on a one-to-one personal level was not as effective as police intervention and the likelihood of them being found out.

I will instead try to focus on the fact that they eventually did do 'the right thing'...and does it matter what their intentions were? Genuine question, I honestly don't know. It's a great philosophical exercise.

A waist pack is an easy target!

A money belt under your clothes is out of sight and out of mind. Use a "disposable" wallet with a small amount of daily cash for easy access but limits loss.

-Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
A fanny pack is a ripe apple just waiting to be picked!

A money belt under your clothes is out of sight and out of mind. Use a "disposable" wallet with a small amount of daily cash for easy access but limits loss.

-Paul
I dislike money belts although I have a few. Too sweaty and often damp bills. The discussion was not about hiding your money, but more about ways to keep it on your "person".

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I dislike money belts although I have a few. Too sweaty and often damp bills.

I place everything in a Ziplock bag in my money belt to protect from sweat.

I actually *hate* wearing a money belt. But I'd hate even more to spend precious vacation time in bureaucratic hell waiting for a replacement passport and credit cards.

-Paul

I place everything in a Ziplock bag in my money belt to protect from sweat.

I actually *hate* wearing a money belt. But I'd hate even more to spend precious vacation time in bureaucratic hell waiting for a replacement passport and credit cards.

-Paul
Of course, that just creates an impermeable layer between your sweat and the outside, trapping it against your body.

I hate wearing a money belt, too. I've worn one when I felt it really necessary. Currently, over several Caminos, I've managed to avoid both the money belt and the bureaucratic hell. I'm willing to accept a very slight chance of one thing I'd hate over the ongoing certainty of another. Of course, if I thought the chances of the former were substantial, the math would change.

I avoid discussing my personal security arrangements, but I haven't used this approach for many years. There are other suitable approaches to this without being as obvious as having items one needs regularly like a credit or debit card underneath one's clothing, and having to partially disrobe, or continually find a private place to get access to them. Part of this is to balance what needs to be kept reasonably handy, which can include passport, cards and cash, and what needs to be have greater protection, such as any large amount of cash if one chooses to do that. I keep a small amount of cash and my credit cards reasonably accessible, my passport less accessible, and don't carry a large amount of cash. There is a small penalty in ATM fees for topping up cash more regularly, although my recent experience is that a much smaller cash reserve is manageable these days on the camino.

ps I never use a waist bag when travelling, either. Whether or not they identify you as a tourist is an arguable point, but I would rather have things in my pack or a small day pack that I can keep in front of me if I am in crowded places.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
This demonstrates the importance of security planning, more so than all the equipment questions. I think the golden rule is anything of high value should be attached to you (or in a zipped pocket) - and never take it off until you are somewhere secure. As soon as it is in your hand or over your shoulder, it so easy to put it down and get distracted into forgetting it. Also, minimise taking anything of value you don't really need to take (leave your jewellery, fancy watch, designer sunglasses at home). These comments come from a couple of close calls I've had myself at losing something important!

If A & B were professional thieves they would have very quickly disposed of the bag after removing any contents of value. Meekly returning a purloined item with all contents intact is not how professional thieves usually operate.
Interesting insight... the possibility of it being an accident may still exist!

If they did take it on purpose, I imagined it being opportunistic, rather than a professional job, and not a well thought out plan. When police approached them after leaving the train station, police took their names and numbers, so they became very easy to track down if anything showed up on camera.

I do hope it was all an accident though.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've heard that a stolen US passport can be sold for $2000 on the black market. That's why waist packs are so targeted.

"But, it will never happen to me!" - until it does! Why take the chance? An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I have 30-year-old travel books that recommend the use of a money belt, so it's not a new technology.

-Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm of the money bag under clothes brigade. But a lot has to be said about good OpSec and awareness of your surrounding. Anything critical goes in the money bag strapped to my body, under my clothes. i have my empty wallet in a low pocket in my shorts, it contains operational cash and nothing more. Usually by the second week there will be a bunch of coins in it as well. But the core money i carry is not out in the open. Same with passports and other important documents. If that means I have to unbutton my shirt to access my passport when i get to an albergue or campsite, so be it. Losing a passport or money would be far more inconvenient.

I said this before on a different thread. When operating in and around crowds, be aware of who is around you. A quick 360 turn once in a while will show you who is behind you and let you lock eyes with anyone shifty. This goes way beyond pickpockets as well. Given the state of the world in general and the attacks that happen in cities from time to time, being aware of your surroundings and knowing your escape routes is a wise thing.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first time that I found myself approaching the front of the check-in line in an albergue with a money belt around my waist under my clothes I knew that this approach to security was not for me.
Perhaps a modification of the approach would work better. I continue to use a money-belt-under-my-clothes for the backup emergency items. However, my passport, credential, one credit card and some cash are more accessible in an over-the-clothes pouch that rarely leaves my body and can stay around my neck even while I am adding/removing a shirt.

Passport, credit cards and cash should always be kept in a money belt under your cloths.
I will respectfully disagree. This is a private preference and in many ways predicates on whether or not such "gadget" works for you. Does not for me...

That said - I wholeheartedly agree that ANYTHING of a 'value' (and that by all means should include the Credenciale as well) should be ON a person 24/7 save for the 5-mins shower and even then its better be darn near one's body

"But, it will never happen to me!" - until it does! Why take the chance? An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I have 30-year-old travel books that recommend the use of a money belt, so it's not a new technology.
... and thirty years ago I couldn't buy the variety of travel clothing that provided internal pockets that I can today that can keep some things zippered away close to my body and other things more accessible. Using a money belt is still an option, just not the only one.

But using thirty year old travel guides when so much has happened in the meantime seems a rather odd approach. Surely using more up-to-date information would be worthwhile if one is going to engage in discussions today.

May I make a gentle request that it not be referred to as a fanny pack. It’s been mentioned several times on this forum that fanny is a controversial term, and this is an international forum.
Some of the longtime forum members have changed their terminology. The problem is that we have new members signing up daily, and it would be a futile whack-a-mole situation if we tried to stamp out the name used commonly in their home countries to refer to an item that many people consider taking on the Camino. Please just trust that people are not using the term with crude intentions. There really isn't much logic in which words acquire such shock value.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The problem is that we have new members signing up daily, and it would be a futile whack-a-mole situation if we tried to stamp out the name used commonly in their home countries to refer to an item that many people consider taking on the Camino. Please just trust that people are not using the term with crude intentions.
This would have been a reasonable explanation if the member who has been using the term hadn't been on the forum for the best part of a decade. As for trusting they have no crude intentions, I generally do, but when this has been mentioned many times, one expects that some cultural sensitivity might be displayed by those who have been on the forum for some time. A turn of phrase like 'A fanny pack is a ripe apple just waiting to be picked!' is extraordinarily vulgar to many of us, and it is hard to give anyone who uses such language the benefit of the doubt.

In the US when "fanny packs" first became popular it was what they were called and often still are. To us, there is absolutely nothing derogatory about those words used together. I just googled them and oodles of "fanny packs" pop up for sale, for women and men on Amazon and many other websites.
That said, because I have been on this forum for quite a few years, I have seen a number of threads discussing this term. As @dougfitz has mentioned, it is offensive language in some cultures. After learning of this, I no longer use the term, but simply say "waist bag", which works for everyone. I have not seen them worn on the "backside" for many years anyway.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
one expects that some cultural sensitivity might be displayed by those who have been on the forum for some time. A turn of phrase like 'A fanny pack is a ripe apple just waiting to be picked!' is extraordinarily vulgar to many of us, and it is hard to give anyone who uses such language the benefit of the doubt
Expectations always cause stress.

The person who said that is probably American. If you're from the States where everyone around you uses a certain phrase and you've never been to Australia, NZ, or GB, where that word is vulgar...of course you won't have a clue.

it's called ignorance, for goodness sake.
Every single one of us has our own version. Probably even you, @dougfitz. 🙃 ;)

Maybe a bit harsh to call it ignorance. What was it Donald said Rumsfeld say about the known unknowns, the unknown unknowns etc etc (and not forgetting the stuff we made up or just got completely wrong)? The word ´fanny´ is a colloquialism and we can forgive people from other cultures for not knowing every single colloquial or local dialectical quirk. But if you are North American, please be aware that if you say ´fanny´, some of us who share your (or let´s be truly chauvinistic and say ´our´) language, or at least 99% of it, will snigger. Quietly. How did we get here, by the way?

To me it sounds as if it was (maybe first time) thieves of opportunity who then got scared by the police mentioning video tapes, and maybe even had some remorse afterwards. One can only hope that they learned a lesson and won't do it again.

I've once witnessed in an albergue that a piece of gear that belonged to one pilgrim was missing in the morning. It was not of much value, but very dear to that pilgrim, and she was very sad that it was gone. Everyone searched the dormitories (it was in France, and usually everybody started walking at roughly the same time after breakfast, so most pilgrims were still there). It was not to be found.

After a lot of searching and a very sad pilgrim making very clear how sad she was, suddenly, from nowhere, the item turned up again, found by a pilgrim in a place where everybody had been looking several times already. Only conclusion was, someone had taken it, felt bad about it afterwards, and returned it so it could be found.

It happens, sadly. I try to focus on the positive side, that the item was returned, and that maybe the person who took it learned something and won't do it again.

You were very lucky and did exactly the right things to get your valuables back. Pilgrim's luck!

Thank you for telling the story so we can all learn from it.

Expectations always cause stress.

The person who said that is probably American. If you're from the States where everyone around you uses a certain phrase and you've never been to Australia, NZ, or GB, where that word is vulgar...of course you won't have a clue.

Every single one of us has our own version. Probably even you, @dougfitz. 🙃 ;)
I am sure you are right, but I have been known to learn new things 😇 . That said, I have for some time accepted that some words that are vulgar outside of North America are not used in that vulgar sense. But let me repeat what I have said previously about this:
You're correct. In the context of the forum, I am not expecting that those from the US and Canada who use the term to be doing so in its vulgar sense. It would seem churlish to take offence when it's reasonable to believe none was intended.

But it seems to be slang on both sides of the Atlantic, which might give one pause about using it on an international forum without checking what other meanings it might have.

No. While I have seen pilgrims frantically running backwards up the Camino to retrieve a waist bag left hanging on a hook in a bathroom, I have never seen a pilgrim frantically running backwards up the Camino to retrieve their pants.

Last edited:
For those who may be unaware here's a dictionary definition of the other "F-word"

And

Not to unnecessarily prolong the discussion, but I did run across a fellow pilgrim on this Camino i am finishing today, for whom English was a second language, and who had only come across the word as a name for an aunt. This pilgrim named her daughter with the word, thinking it would be good when she came across English speakers.

Imagine her later chagrin.

True story, or, at least, told to me by the mother with a straight face.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Not to unnecessarily prolong the discussion, but I did run across a fellow pilgrim on this Camino i am finishing today, for whom English was a second language, and who had only come across the word as a name for an aunt. This pilgrim named her daughter with the word, thinking it would be good when she came across English speakers.

Imagine her later chagrin.

True story, or, at least, told to me by the mother with a straight face.
It was a fairly common name back in the day!!! The word has many meanings (being a fanny, fannying around) and even when used in this context tends to be more of a schoolboy playground word from the 70s in my part of the world, and not overly offensive. (London). It may be different elsewhere.

I wouldn’t overly worry about it and if you do, take care not to use the ‘muff’ either, or a few other words I can think of that get used on here and have the same meaning!!!

€149,-
Yes. While I have seen pilgrims frantically running backwards up the Camino to retrieve a waist bag left hanging on a hook in a bathroom, I have never seen a pilgrim frantically running backwards up the Camino to retrieve their pants.
I think you meant "No"
the question was Any reason this is NOT sound (those darn double negatives)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!
Hi everyone, I am a 30 y.o. female travelling solo. Planning to walk Camino Ingles in May, but since it's the least popular route I'm a bit worried in terms of how safe it is. I walked Frances...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back