• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

And Ward4e is Back! Round 2 - Via de la Plata!

ward4e

Time of past OR future Camino
JAN 2023?
So a long long time a go a young naive boy who had never left his country or had even heard of a "stage map" walked the Camino Frances! He met wonder full people! Stamped sellos on his calves and compestella while walking across Spain. He routinely ate his fill of ham cheese bocadillos and existed on a lot of 1 euro 1l box wine. You know the kind with no vintage and puts the little woody bits at the bottom of your glass.

In the end he reached the end and burned his boots in a bonfire at Fisterra as a symbol of knowing he had no more time to walk... On the night bus from Santiago to Madrid he was saddened that he could not stay longer, that the walk was in the end a touch short, and the wine maybe was a little too cheap. He vowed that he would be back someday soon to do it all again to do it all again.

Many years have passed in a sun burnt country and well, I'm back... Tickets have been purchased, new boots are bought and I will be in Seville in late April early May to do it all again!!!

I couldn't be happier...

Talks soon hey!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Happy to hear that you want to do it all again, but please don’t burn your boots this time - Fisterra does not want any more bonfires!

ZAT YOU COBBER?
I've still got the sleeping bag, which has now done 3 Caminos, plus your one of course.
Brissy pilgrims now meet once a month at Southbank on a Wednesday evening 6pm. We get 30-40 turn up.
https://www.meetup.com/Brisbane-Camino-Pilgrims/events/245704800/
An associated group go for regular walks on a Sunday morning.
If you are still in the area, or just passing thru, I would love to once again meet the man who first got a pilgrim group organised here, and lit my Camino fire. I'd even buy you a beer, and for a tight b****** like me that's really saying something.
Regards
Gerard

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Congratulations! May your upcoming journey fill you with as much happiness and content as the last!
Buen Camino

When was your first Camino? I see you joined up here in 2011...
April 2012? I'd have to check my compostella. I've been off doing life stuff for a long while and now i'm coming back to this! It seems the community has grown significantly!

ZAT YOU COBBER?
I've still got the sleeping bag, which has now done 3 Caminos, plus your one of course.
Brissy pilgrims now meet once a month at Southbank on a Wednesday evening 6pm. We get 30-40 turn up.
https://www.meetup.com/Brisbane-Camino-Pilgrims/events/245704800/
An associated group go for regular walks on a Sunday morning.
If you are still in the area, or just passing thru, I would love to once again meet the man who first got a pilgrim group organised here, and lit my Camino fire. I'd even buy you a beer, and for a tight b****** like me that's really saying something.
Regards
Gerard

Yes mate its me! I live in Melbourne now in a colder but happier place for me. I cant have organised the first group surely? Well maybe it was? All I care about is it helped someone even if it inspired just one person to go then it was all worth it.

As for a beer its reciprocal if you're ever in Melbourne send me a message I will be popping in here more often on the lead up to my trip.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
So a long long time a go a young naive boy who had never left his country or had even heard of a "stage map" walked the Camino Frances! He met wonder full people! Stamped sellos on his calves and compestella while walking across Spain. He routinely ate his fill of ham cheese bocadillos and existed on a lot of 1 euro 1l box wine. You know the kind with no vintage and puts the little woody bits at the bottom of your glass.

In the end he reached the end and burned his boots in a bonfire at Fisterra as a symbol of knowing he had no more time to walk... On the night bus from Santiago to Madrid he was saddened that he could not stay longer, that the walk was in the end a touch short, and the wine maybe was a little too cheap. He vowed that he would be back someday soon to do it all again to do it all again.

Many years have passed in a sun burnt country and well, I'm back... Tickets have been purchased, new boots are bought and I will be in Seville in late April early May to do it all again!!!

I couldn't be happier...

Talks soon hey!

It is a fantastic Camino, you will love it. Very different to Camino Frances. Enjoy.

oh god where did my time go! I'm nearly leaving well 5-6 weeks out!

Time to make some purchases from Ivar..

done.JPG
okay and done...

Will have to look for a decent place for my first credential sello!!!

oh god where did my time go
I'm in Athens for 10days on the way to Barcelona. Will wobble down the coast via Valencia, Cordoba, so may have chance to catch up in Seville, maybe even walk a few days. Firmed up yet on dates and where you are staying in Seville?
Regards
Gerard

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hey Gerard! I'm in London form the 28th of April to maybe the 1st of May then in Seville possibly on the 1st or the 2nd? I'd like to start walking no later than the 3rd of May.

Which reminds me I have to organise my first night in Seville... also a cathedral for my blessing and first Sello for the way...

Hey Gerard! I'm in London form the 28th of April to maybe the 1st of May then in Seville possibly on the 1st or the 2nd? I'd like to start walking no later than the 3rd of May.
Which reminds me I have to organise my first night in Seville... also a cathedral for my blessing and first Sello for the way...
You are way ahead of me then. I won't be near Seville for another 10 days.
Regards and good travelling
Gerard

I may have an additional 4-5 days for walking... Maybe i can leave from Gibraltar?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wow the prep time has flown! It seems I fell asleep 6 weeks out and woke up today! Alight I guess its time to do a test pack and weight check seeing as a I fly out Friday to come to Seville.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
VdLP is my first, hopefully not the last camino. Starting from Seville on 3rd of May, I'll be in seville from 29th, but I need to feel Seville for a couple of days before I start walking:)

Last edited:
Well I'm off to a great start! Got to the airport way early, all checked in. Then the flight Abu Dhabi with etihad was 13 hours of semi fun. We got delayed leaving Abu Dhabi by 3 hours and I only landed in London at 10pm!!! Calm I went to the carousel and waited for an hour... my bag is missing!!! All my gear gone!!!

Went to the etihad baggage desk and they told me that my bag "missed my flight because it was checked late"

I was the 10th or so person to check bags for the flight... showed them my boarding bag check stub with time... the story changed to "it must have fallen off the conveyor belt. We have it though it's been delayed and will be here 6pm Sunday the 29th.."

Normally I'd be overjoyed but I'm flying to Seville in at 6:45am... So I've booked a few extra days in Seville so they can deliver my bag to me!!!!

I must be calm... I will walk away the stress!!

Hey tita! Will be kicking around Seville doing tourist things till my bag arrives and your dates are super similar... catch up for a coffee and a chat?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Went for wander around Seville... left the cathedral and followed the path till I found my first shell...
I'm better now, so much happier from seeing a shell. I now have a direction.... All I have to do is get my back pack from these stupid airlines.

Attachments

• IMAG3811_1.jpg
    IMAG3811_1.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 8
Gosh, a rocky start for you, hope your bag catches up with you soon! In these kind of situations i tell myself “things can only get better!”

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Still in Seville desperately waiting to hear anything on my pack.

Bad news is I may never see my pack again. I've got a good contact here at world wide baggage and he has been most helpful. I have a shit contact at Heathrow airport who won't even return my emails begging for information.

Good news is there's a decathlon superstore about an hours walk from here and I can rebuy everything... looking at the weather I may just buy a golf umbrella as well..

I've set an end date for this fiasco of Thursday... if I have no emails by Thursday morning I'm walking to decathlon to get kitted and I'm leaving Friday.

Oh I do have my first sello. I stopped by the cathedral yesterday to get it. I think I saw another pilgrim but I can't be sure.

Okay well buen camino!

Hang in there. You have a great attitude. I was always praying for patience and God seemed to give extra opportunities to practice. It does show us that we can buy most things we need in Spain. It would be interesting to see if it was more or less expensive item for item. Hope you don't have to find out.

Hey...sorry I sank into Seville life completely and haven't been on the forum since I arrived here. I'm supposed to start walking in a couple of hours, didn't get any sleep though:) I'm either too excited or afraid my arm might fell off since I got myself a spontaneous tatoo at midnight. Can I just leave you my number +38641665872, whatsup me it will be more effective or email me: natasalukezic@gmail.com

Sorry for your pack:(

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Boots!; boots!!; boots!!! Now you know why I NEVER pack my boots into my checked bags. I was advised 12-15 year ago when planning my first climb on Mt Kilimanjaro. I either wear them or carrying them on board. Everything but the boots can be replaced and your feet are the most important part of your camino. Hopefully your bag did arrive. Buen Camino!!;)

So.... for my shame of forgetting to update. ever. I am finally now updating.

I'm alive.
I ran into alot of wonderful people
I'm happy..
I finished...
Oh and I juggled my last days off so I could keep going to the "real end"

I'm now in Finisterra. Arrived an hour or two ago and currently drinking in the Camino pilgrim bar on the way onto town.

PS... my photos are too large but the sun is out, the weather is great and I am so happy I came back.

Talk soon

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Congratulations! We'd love to hear a few more details about your late spring walk, maybe after you return home and have a bit of time to reflect on it.

Most read last week in this forum

Something a little unusual on the Spanish news websites today. Two pilgrims forced to climb an oak tree to escape from a cow defending her calf. Apparently they called the Guardia Civil from their...
Hello, I am researching the Sanabrés and have discovered that since the AVE construction is complete, this section from Requejo to Padornelo has a new route available along the Requejo River. Our...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back