• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ann Sieben, The Winter Pilgrim

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Theatregal,
Thanks for sharing this piece. One very snowy night in February 2009 I met Ann in the old winter albergue room in Santo Domingo de la Calzada and have followed her many journeys ever since. She has extraordinary courage and determination and is an inspiration for so many!

Sharing a piece from this months Harper's Magazine about the enduring allure of pilgrimage and the mendicant pilgrim Ann Sieben,

Thank you. I am reminded of a short scene in a Canadian film, Jesus of Montreal, where a woman nearly trips over herself trying to find superlatives to say something was wonderful.
I just say again: thank you for the second gift of food for thought I have received today via the forum.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Extraordinary.
Thank you for this lovely meal for the heart, @Theatregal!

This quote of Ann's is so true, as so many once-anxious-now-veteran Forum members know:
"fear and experience seem to me to occupy the same place in the soul. The more experience one has, the less room there is for fear; yet in the absence of experience—even borrowed experience—fear expands to fill the void. It can become paralyzing.”

Theatregal,
Thanks for sharing this piece. One very snowy night in February 2009 I met Ann in the old winter albergue room in Santo Domingo de la Calzada and have followed her many journeys ever since. She has extraordinary courage and determination and is an inspiration for so many!
Wonderful. Two winter pilgrims met. Both an inspiration for so many 🙏

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Unfortunately I can't read it unless subscribe.
I also don't subscribe, and the original link worked for me, but here is an archived version that should work.

EDIT: This wonderful story reminded me of another solo female pilgrim years ago, who ventured across North Africa (a dream of mine) enroute to Jerusalem. I was about to post on this forum to ask if anyone remembered this story or her name - only to see it is one and the same inspiring peregrina! Her blog is still available online. Here's how I described it in an old email to my husband, from 2012:

check out this map!
http://winterpilgrim.blogspot.com/

I am completely blown away by this blog I stumbled across! It is by an American woman who made the pilgrimage to Santiago and who then became a pretty hardcore, long distance pilgrim. Check out the map at the top of her page - she is now about to arrive in Jerusalem, having left from Santiago and walked down through Spain, then across ALL of North Africa!!! As a woman, alone!!! This blows my mind.

Last edited:
I also don't subscribe, and the original link worked for me, but here is an archived version that should work.

EDIT: This wonderful story reminded me of another solo female pilgrim years ago, who ventured across North Africa (a dream of mine) enroute to Jerusalem. I was about to post on this forum to ask if anyone remembered this story or her name - only to see it is one and the same inspiring peregrina! Her blog is still available online. Here's how I described it in an old email to my husband, from 2012:

check out this map!
http://winterpilgrim.blogspot.com/

I am completely blown away by this blog I stumbled across! It is by an American woman who made the pilgrimage to Santiago and who then became a pretty hardcore, long distance pilgrim. Check out the map at the top of her page - she is now about to arrive in Jerusalem, having left from Santiago and walked down through Spain, then across ALL of North Africa!!! As a woman, alone!!! This blows my mind.

I remember reading her blog years ago! Thanks for posting about it, also giving the link for the article about Ann.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Is Ann still walking? Her blog ends in 2018.

Is Ann still walking? Her blog ends in 2018.
Indeed she is! She came to the APOC Annual Gathering in Early April and did an absolutely fascinating talk on Saint Martin. Although she doesn’t Blog any more (she said it got too time consuming), I believe there is a website of her activities somewhere. She was going on to walk a string of Abbeys along the Rhine in May, taking a few other Pilgrims with her. Next year she’ll walk a route in France that connects all the places associated with Saint Martin. I think she has a plan to walk somewhere in the U.S., as well as a U.S.-Mexico pilgrimage associated with Our Lady of Guadalupe.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back