• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another American trying to figure out how to bring everything under the sun...NOT!

Leora

California Dreamin'
Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to walk the French way.
September - October "2016"
Hello from California,

18 days till I begin my first Camino! Very excited and nervous.
My 23 year old son and I will begin our walk on September 18, 2016.
We will be walking along the French way. Im really looking forward to meeting fellow pilgrimages from around the world and spending this incredible time with my son.

Help! Ideas and advice welcome:)
I'm having a hard time deciding if I need to pack a sleeping bag or not. It's a small micro bag, but still added weight for me. Is a sleeping bag nessacery along the Camino?

Also, I'm planning to bounce around Europe for 2 additional months after and I'm having a difficult time deciding on what is nessacery for the Camino and what is needed for a total of 3 months abroad.
Would someone have advice on the best way to pack and what is the weight one could carry one their back safely.
I'm a healthy 48 year old, 5'7 tall and weight 155lbs...what would the ideal weight be of a full back pack for my size. Would there be a weight ratio to consider? :rolleyes:

My heart and spirit are fully open to all of the mystery and experiences that I will encounter along this journey!

Thank you for your help.

Leora

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm having a hard time deciding if I need to pack a sleeping bag or not. It's a small micro bag, but still added weight for me. Is a sleeping bag nessacery along the Camino? ...

Also, I'm planning to bounce around Europe for 2 additional months after and I'm having a difficult time deciding on what is nessacery for the Camino and what is needed for a total of 3 months abroad.
Would someone have advice on the best way to pack and what is the weight one could carry one their back safely.
I'm a healthy 48 year old, 5'7 tall and weight 155lbs...what would the ideal weight be of a full back pack for my size. Would there be a weight ratio to consider? :rolleyes:

Yes, I would bring a lightweight sleeping bag unless you plan only to sleep in pensions and hotels. Not all albergues have blankets/not all blankets are washed frequently and it can get coolish at night in the mountains.

The, very rough, rule of thumb is pack weight not more than 10% of your body weight, but less is more! The lighter your backpack (within reason) the lighter your steps on the camino ;-)

Regarding the stuff you will need after the Camino, just send it to @ivar here: http://www.casaivar.com

Buen Camino, SY

When doing medium term travel (6-12 weeks) I use this strategy- 1-3 nights in a smart Hotel at the start to recover from flights and to chill (Langhams are very good and accommodating for what comes next) I then leave with them in their storage my main luggage and I pack my rucksack for the following weeks in more remote places but I book a return stay in the Hotel, and then I swap kit and repeat. In this way I have a base and book several short stays in luxury with more adventurous basic accommodation travel in between. This strategy has many advantages. My other strategy is to give clothes away to Charity shops and buy more stuff from them when travelling from cold to heat and not wanting to carry two sets of gear. This particular approach worked for me going between Brisbane and Tasmania and then the Solomon Islands a very wide range of temperatures.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When I was visiting friends in Heidelberg, I realized I forgot a few things (shampoo, a warm sweater). My friends reminded me that Germany too had stores where I could buy things if I needed them. :)

I walked with my son this past Spring. It was a wonderful walk-- though he did want to go faster than I did.

Beun Camino.

I also take advantage of the long flight to Europe to travel around before/after hiking trips. I just got back from a couple of months wandering around Europe and found a few things that worked well.

Prana makes great lightweight jeans (yes, forbidden jeans!) that wash well, dry overnight and are airplane-stretchy- comfortable. I took a linen dress this summer that was perfect in the heat but also have used a black Patagonia dress with running tights in the chilly/rainy UK. I pack a lightweight pair of ballet flats so for about 2 extra pounds, I am set for museums, nice restaurants and transitioning from traveler to hiker and back again.

For summer, I took a silk sleep sac. In the fall, I take a 1 pound bag because I sleep "cold".

I have a different packing system than most. Depending on the trip location, I estimate the weight for each category. For example, for a summer trip, I allow 5 pounds for clothes, 1 for electronics, 1 for first aid, 1 for personal items, 1 for rain gear, 3 for pack/bladder, etc. Add 2-4 pounds for water and one for food each day. Categories may shift a bit so if I only need a rain jacket, I get extra clothing weight. But if I need rain pants, I trim back the extra shirt or personal items. I bought an inexpensive scale at the local post office and weigh shirts and such to take the lightest options. I'm about your size and try to keep the pack no heavier than about 15 pounds, including food and water. But to be honest, it sometimes gets a bit heavier with souvenirs and chocolate bars!

Planning is part of the fun so enjoy and have a wonderful trip! PM me if you'd like help with your list or travel ideas!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I also take advantage of the long flight to Europe to travel around before/after hiking trips. I just got back from a couple of months wandering around Europe and found a few things that worked well.

Prana makes great lightweight jeans (yes, forbidden jeans!) that wash well, dry overnight and are airplane-stretchy- comfortable. I took a linen dress this summer that was perfect in the heat but also have used a black Patagonia dress with running tights in the chilly/rainy UK. I pack a lightweight pair of ballet flats so for about 2 extra pounds, I am set for museums, nice restaurants and transitioning from traveler to hiker and back again.

For summer, I took a silk sleep sac. In the fall, I take a 1 pound bag because I sleep "cold".

I have a different packing system than most. Depending on the trip location, I estimate the weight for each category. For example, for a summer trip, I allow 5 pounds for clothes, 1 for electronics, 1 for first aid, 1 for personal items, 1 for rain gear, 3 for pack/bladder, etc. Add 2-4 pounds for water and one for food each day. Categories may shift a bit so if I only need a rain jacket, I get extra clothing weight. But if I need rain pants, I trim back the extra shirt or personal items. I bought an inexpensive scale at the local post office and weigh shirts and such to take the lightest options. I'm about your size and try to keep the pack no heavier than about 15 pounds, including food and water. But to be honest, it sometimes gets a bit heavier with souvenirs and chocolate bars!

Planning is part of the fun so enjoy and have a wonderful trip! PM me if you'd like help with your list or travel ideas!

Thank you so much for your help! I love the jeans from Prana idea! Researching tonight!

Peace,

Leora

Yes, I would bring a lightweight sleeping bag unless you plan only to sleep in pensions and hotels. Not all albergues have blankets/not all blankets are washed frequently and it can get coolish at night in the mountains.

The, very rough, rule of thumb is pack weight not more than 10% of your body weight, but less is more! The lighter your backpack (within reason) the lighter your steps on the camino ;-)

Regarding the stuff you will need after the Camino, just send it to @ivar here: http://www.casaivar.com

Buen Camino, SY
Thank you so much. I did not know that I could ship to Santiago...this is a huge plus!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Complications arise if you ship from outside the EU. Check with Ivar if this will be the case.
Thank you for the tip. I fly into Paris a week before I start the Camino. I will ship from Paris before I train down to St. Jean.

Peace,

Leora

Thank you for the tip. I fly into Paris a week before I start the Camino. I will ship from Paris before I train down to St. Jean.

Peace,

Leora

Before you ship internationally, please ask @ivar for advice regarding this! Buen Camino, SY

In your shipping box, put one nice outfit in a dark color, a scarf, an extra top, an urban-worthy jacket, one pair city shoes , a small envelope with a little costume jewelry, a lightweight travel robe. Should all fit in something the size of two shoeboxes and weigh about 5 pounds. And a corkscrew. Done!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In your shipping box, put one nice outfit in a dark color, a scarf, an extra top, an urban-worthy jacket, one pair city shoes , a small envelope with a little costume jewelry, a lightweight travel robe. Should all fit in something the size of two shoeboxes and weigh about 5 pounds. And a corkscrew. Done!
Nice! Perfect!

Thank you :)
Leora

I did it! I bought my ticket to France! Planning my second Camino. September 2022.
This time I'm walking the Camino del Norte! I can hardly believe it:). I completed the Camino Frances in October 2016, the Way has been calling me to "come walk" ever since.

So much has changed in the world in 6 years.
Can someone direct me to the latest covid information for pilgrims? I'm flying into France from the USA. I'm vaccinated. Do I need to register my vaccination information in France, Spain & Portugal? (EU) What should I expect as I cross the border into Spain and then from there into Portugal ?

Oh and one more thing, I'm considering walking from Biarritz to Irun. Is there a route/map or a guide book that features this section of France?
Thank you so much for any information that you can share.

Attachments

• 20161017_114440.jpg
    20161017_114440.jpg
    471.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Roland and I Spain 2016.jpg
    Roland and I Spain 2016.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20161015_110449.jpg
    20161015_110449.jpg
    663.1 KB · Views: 7
The walk from Biarritz to St Jean de Luz to Irun is well-marked and can be done without a guide or map. The ocean helps keeping you going in the right direction, too! 😜. Look at the other current posts for a description of that route.

Additionally, it’s quite easy to walk from the airport into Biarritz itself - I like to do that instead of the bus as it gives you a chance to stretch your legs and orient yourself to the area. If you plan to carry a smartphone with a mapping app, that’s really all you need.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
So much has changed in the world in 6 years.
Can someone direct me to the latest covid information for pilgrims? I'm flying into France from the USA. I'm vaccinated. Do I need to register my vaccination information in France, Spain & Portugal? (EU) What should I expect as I cross the border into Spain and then from there into Portugal ?
There are numerous threads here about travel restrictions for different countries, and a great many of them are out of date as rules change.
It's best to consult the websites of the countries you will visit, or your airline should have information.

And a good site to check current restrictions is Sherpa. Many airlines use it, and it has links to the government sources.

Last edited:
There are numerous threads here about travel restrictions for different countries, and a great many if them are out of date as rules change.
It's best to consult the websites of the countries you will visit, or your airline should have information.

And a good site to check current restrictions is Sherpa. Many airlines use it, and it has links to the government sources.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The walk from Biarritz to St Jean de Luz to Irun is well-marked and can be done without a guide or map. The ocean helps keeping you going in the right direction, too! 😜. Look at the other current posts for a description of that route.

Additionally, it’s quite easy to walk from the airport into Biarritz itself - I like to do that instead of the bus as it gives you a chance to stretch your legs and orient yourself to the area. If you plan to carry a smartphone with a mapping app, that’s really all you need.
Thank you for the information.
I do think Biarritz will be my starting point.
Best,
Leora

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back