• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

any bar-less villages left?

David

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 2005 from Moissac, France.
As the Camino has become more and more populated, what I have noticed over the last few years is that even the smallest village that has a refugio seems to also have a bar now, and usually one that does food too, maybe even a small shop.

I had to miss the Camino last year due to other commitments but am going later this year - Hurrah! renewing my 1st aid kit now ...

(For those who don't know, I go and offer 1st aid and support to pilgrims where I can) Anyway, as I tend to go to those sections that are long and townless and where pilgrims are quite isolated if they need help - in the evenings I also tend to look for the most isolated, or unsupported refugios .... it used to be that there were places without a shop or cafe or bar and pilgrims could be quite hungry if they hadn't brought supplies with them, and a little stuck should they need plasters and so on but now it seems so different ...

So my post, so my request - can you think of any places I might have missed - refugios still without a surrounding infrastructure support? :|

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi David. I can't think of too many villages on the Frances that have an albergue but no bar. There are still many that have neither, though. Several more have a bar that would not be able to provide any first aid equipment. Ask Rebekah about Moratinos, for example. As far as I know it has no farmacia or other shop despite having an albergue and a new hostal. Maybe one of them does have a few emergency provisions under the counter.

Just to add, both these places do have their own bars and food. I assume they must have a first aid box, but not necessarily stuff for sale (Compeed etc).

Buen Camino!

im almost done walking the Camino (go into sarria tomorrow) and can't think of any towns that didn't have a bar at least. Even St Juan de Ortega, population of 20 and a dog, had a bar for dinner meals.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
David said:
... what I have noticed over the last few years is that even the smallest village that has a refugio seems to also have a bar now, and usually one that does food too, maybe even a small shop.
Don't even try to find one open before 9 am ! :mrgreen:

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks all - I prefer the Frances due to the density and it seems to have more who have problems .. perhaps the more experienced take the other Caminos ...

St Juan de Ortega has to be one of my favourite places to stop and is such a restful place for pilgrims after that long climb and descent through the oak forest ... so friendly and helpful there too ...

Admit that I was looking for a 'hole' but all gone now - which is a good thing of course. This year I may concentrate on St Jean to Logrono - so many experience difficulties in that early section.

Was just thinking .. considering the economic dark place that Spain is in, with terribly high unemployment, especially with the young, the Frances is like a thin bright ribbon of gold wending its way through an economically dark landscape ...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You would do well along the 17 km stretch between Carrion de los Condes and Calzadilla de la Cueza. Once in a while there´s a local guy out there selling hotdogs, but it´s mostly just a long, dry hike. (On really hot days we drive along there with water, because so many pilgs don´t fill up sufficiently beforehand.)

IM me, I can tell you where to pick up the paved crossroads that will get you to the camino section about halfway.

As for Moratinos, there´s a fully stocked first aid kit at the albergue, and another one at my house. Br. David, you are welcome to stop here and refresh yourself.

Reb.

Brother David,

Another good spot might be either between Rabe de las Calzadas and Hornillos del Camino or Hornillos and Hontanas. These could be very hot, bleak stretches in summer. In winter when the seasonal bar at Hornillos is closed they are always cold, windy and very lonely.

A smile, water and assistance would be most helpful to pilgrims whatever the season.

Buen Camino,

Margaret

there´s also an awfully long and un-developed section of camino between Irache and Los Arcos, the one that follows the southern side of the road. That last four or five kilometers before Los Arcos are pretty merciless, I have seen plenty of people in tears along those open fields.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Rebekah Scott said:
there´s also an awfully long and un-developed section of camino between Irache and Los Arcos, the one that follows the southern side of the road. That last four or five kilometers before Los Arcos are pretty merciless, I have seen plenty of people in tears along those open fields.
Aarrghh! The south side is beautiful, and Estella to Los Arcos isn't that far (21km?). Don't the routes join well before Los Arcos anyway? Maybe there's a third one that I've missed. There's no albergue in Luquin (there is a bar, thank goodness) so you have to commit to walking all the way to Los Arcos, but you walk through nice shaded woodland with lots of pine cones etc (if that excites you at all! :D ).

Buen Camino!

maybe I missed the bar in Luquin. This is a really far stretch, especially for people walking from Lorca or other places before Estella. I have done this a couple of times, and still recall that last few km. as KILLER, esp. on hot days!

@Rebekah - I know that 17 km stretch between Carrion de los Condes and Calzadilla de la Cueza .. the Roman road, with the two non-working water pumps on it. I have set up before at that crossroads, the one with the barn in a compound set back a bit - about five years ago now, but the bar owner in Calzadilla didn't like me being there and his father in law came and turfed me off .. Different days of course but I have never been back - a good stretch though, and you can really see that you are walking on Roman!
Thank you for the invite to your Peaceable Queendom - I did turn up unannounced errmm .. three years ago I think, April or May but there was absolutely no one around - not even the obligatory dog sleeping in the road - will pm you before I am passing this time! Anything you may want brought from England? Marmite? (for we English it tends to be marmite!)

@mspath - indeed, I love that section. One of main places I still stop is at that pump spring with the couple of benches and young trees about 1.5 miles after Rabe, just off on the right. Then in the evening I would go back into Rabe and visit the refugios, or sometimes on past the Horns of a Dilemma and onto San Bol though I haven't been there since the day that brilliant woman who was running it left and it became commercial. Stayed for her final meal - she was sad.
I have a photo of the van at that spring - campervan gone now and I have a car and tiny caravan - not the same. I didn't know that the bar at Hornillos was seasonal - thanks for that.

@Rebekah and Tyyrek - I have never been along the section that goes through Luquin - will have a look over there. From Villamayor it is rather pretty but those vines are low and there is no shade, apart from a sweet green rest area off on the left - and, yes, hot and dusty indeed. All made up by walking round the cool narrow streets of Los Arcos of course and the wonderful welcome from the Parish priest. He does a fine and warm pilgrim mass and blessing afterwards, that good man. Had to take a Norwegian (or a Finn) woman to the doctor's surgery there as she had the most fearful reaction to a bedbug feast. She had no insurance but they treated her for free, which was really kind of them (horse syringe full of anti-histamines in the backside!).

Thanks for the input all - nice to get other points of view - one gets into the habit of looking at things the same way. other input and views is great - thank you all.

Attachments

• the Spring after Rabe.jpg
    the Spring after Rabe.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 480
  • Novitiate Friars Alto de Erro.jpg
    Novitiate Friars Alto de Erro.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 485
  • After Carrion - Roman Road .jpg
    After Carrion - Roman Road .jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 388
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back