• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone else walked without staying in Albergues?

Well, anybody visiting this forum for a while may be already familiar with my stance on the significance of where a pilgrim chooses to sleep at night: much ado about nothing. A lot of folks want to set and proclaim to others the norms of pilgrimage and in doing so it only shows their own ignorance about pilgrimages, specifically as it pertains the Camino de Santiago. Personally, I did not stayed in Albergues and still managed to meet tons of great people, including touring many sites in the company of other pilgrims, and many communal dinners. I am heading out next week for my 6th time on the Camino (Frances) and have no intention whatsoever to stay in an albergue. I am sure somebody can benefit well more than I from that available bed. I will get up well rested, take my sweet time on the Camino and let others on the "Race to the Beds" rushed by, not a problem.

The Camino pilgrimage was probably never set out to be a fraternization trip to begin with. The goal was to make it to Santiago from your home. You had to prepare well to ensure a safe passage and arrival. Local churches offered baggage transfer services, wealthy families set up shelters and provided free food, wealthy pilgrims stayed in better accomodations and contributed to poor pilgrims passages, Kings and Queens built bridges, hospitals, lodgings, there was even the Knights of Templar "police force" that helped transport pilgrims through treacherous sections. The goal was to make it whatever it took. So, Brissy, you don't HAVE TO walk the Camino. You CHOOSE to walk the Camino. Do it in the manner you think it will ensure your safe passage. All that needs to happen, will. Buen Camino.

Did you tent/tarp the whole way?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Cariburk,
You asked where people got their information .
I use www.caminodesantiago.consumer.es.
It not only lists all the albergues in each place but also has comments from past pilgrims which I have found very useful.

I'm a light sleeper with MCS, and can't tolerate fragrances.
The first time I walked the CF, I stayed in albergues.
Some were great - some were horrid.
As someone mentioned, loud people, drunk people, people fighting, talking on their phones late into the night, choking you with perfume, snoring, then up before daylight with loud whispering, rattling bags, and headlights in your eyes. Who'd give that up? ::laughing:::

On the Camino Madrid, I stayed mostly in albergues.
All were awesome.
People just seemed to be more considerate.
Same on the VDLP, mostly albergues - awesome.

Last year, when I walked the CF, I did a combination of albergues and private rooms and liked it.
When I take groups, we are in private accomodation.
So I've sort of done it all.

If I can afford it, I like private rooms.
However, there are a few albergues I won't miss :)
You'll just have to go and see what works for you!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'll never "not" sleep in an albergue. It's all part of the experience.
Yes I admit there are many different types of accomodation but you have a far greater chance of meeting people in albergues than being in a private room! :)

I'll never "not" sleep in an albergue. It's all part of the experience.
Yes I admit there are many different types of accomodation but you have a far greater chance of meeting people in albergues than being in a private room! :)
We also prefer albergues, but we did meet one of our favorite camino buddies in a small hotel. Other guests were mostly pilgrims.

At risk of being thought not a true pilgrim - has anyone else walked without staying in Albergues? We didn't intend to walk the whole way staying in private accommodation, but that's just how it worked out. Did I miss anything? I must say, that it was a very special spiritual time for me, and being an introvert, I wondered if it was perhaps better for me not to be sharing space every night. I did meet up with a lot of people and had many significant conversations when the opportunities arose. Any thoughts?
I am walking the Camino starting 5 May 2015 from SJPDP. I would prefer private accommodation, was it easy to find? Thanks in advance, from another Aussie.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Heya..

I lasted around 6 nights in Albergees...and then went private. It hurt my budget abit...well alot...but I dont regret it. I call myself an introverted extrovert. I like chatting with people but need space to recharge. I just couldn't relax in a room full of people even when just trying to sleep. It always felt like I was on duty. (Weird I know)

I still ate with people in the evenings, shared lunches, laughed and, cried with others. I formed amazing friendships.
The only difference was I didnt share bedrooms or bathrooms.

If I was to return for a third time....I would save up more and go private again.

Edit: Staying privately doesn't protect you from the snorers or early risers. You can still here them through the walls. But its nice to sit on the loo and not have the door rattle with the next person wanting to visit.

Plus you dont need to carry a towel or sleep liner/bag.

Hi All:

I start my Camino on August 23. I was planning to spend most nights in private accommodation. I can snore, and am a migraine sufferer. I need some sleep at night...LOL

Do alberges and private places stamp or passports? Is that a stupid question?

Hi All:

I start my Camino on August 23. I was planning to spend most nights in private accommodation. I can snore, and am a migraine sufferer. I need some sleep at night...LOL

Do alberges and private places stamp or passports? Is that a stupid question?

Yes. You find that all accomodations have sellos (stamps)....as well as everywhere else on the Camino....cafes, tables along side the trail, markets, bars, gas stations, and almost everywhere pilgrims might go.
No lack of sellos.

You are welcome.
Just another tip.
I either used the Brieley Guide to help me finding Pensions/Hostals. Or I found flyers in cafes or in the accomodation I was staying in.
I managed to make most of my bookings by myself over the phone. .or I politely asked random locals for help.

A further tip on top of this is that your innkeeper will often make the booking for you. But when they do this, you must turn up or telephone to cancel. I found myself in some really nice truck stops along the del Norte this way (NB I am not being sarcastic-- they were very comfortable, even luxurious for the price, and usually gave pilgrim discounts-- they had the added advantage that food was often available on my schedule, not the traditional late Spanish schedule, and both staff and customers were helpful and welcoming).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
If “you” do decide to experiment with a double room, may I suggest one.

We stayed there in Sept. 2013. It was like an All-Include, 5-star, Camino resort.

It is a full days walk out of Leon. It is on the alternate route. The one that does not follow a really busy highway.

It costs (please, all you purist, block your ears and cover your eyes) 45 Eruos per person per night.

BUT..... it included a Lunch, a Supper, and a Breakfast. All from local, high quality stuff. Gourmet!

Very friendly, very beautiful. It is an old watermill and built on top of a stream.

If you want a oasis for a night, and treat yourself, this is it..... Molino Galochas

That sounds very familiar and I've been racking my brains to try and remember the place for a friend... was this run by Mercedes and her husband? We'd just stayed at the Paradour in Leon and this lovely home was better by a mile because it was so beautifu and they were such amazing hosts :)

Hi.

Yes, very easy to find private accommodation.

Brieley has a good list
Booking.com is helpful
Brochures and flyers are often in cafes along the way.

I would ring a head the night before, or
Ask the place I was staying in to ring ahead for me, or
Ask some locals to call a head for me that I meet a long the way. This created some real bounding memories.

Thank you Lise T. Appreciate it.

That sounds very familiar and I've been racking my brains to try and remember the place for a friend... was this run by Mercedes and her husband? We'd just stayed at the Paradour in Leon and this lovely home was better by a mile because it was so beautifu and they were such amazing hosts :)
That would be Molina Galachos near Villavante.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I think some times you may find it necessary to stay in an albergue, due to really bad weather, the time of the day, etc. You don't have to hold your nose, we all usually shower at least once a day even if the water wasn't hot!

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back