• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone recognise this?

DaveO

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting 1st May 2022
A friend of mine walked the Camino in about 2015. They said they found this spreadsheet (attached pic just shows one page of it) on this forum and it was invaluable. Is there an up to date version published somewhere? I’m starting the walk on about 1st May.

Attachments

• 0948CEAE-6CB8-4CE7-9382-9AEBEA0AC826.jpeg
    0948CEAE-6CB8-4CE7-9382-9AEBEA0AC826.jpeg
    227.2 KB · Views: 238
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/“all”-albergues-on-the-camino-frances-in-one-pdf.10/

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, I have seen it and other similar ones. But these days, the phone apps are much easier to maintain and update - especially with the uncertainties that Covid has brought. All of this information is updated daily on sites such as Gronze. And their databases don't produce summary reports such as this.

The list of villages and distances, and an indication of whether lodging/services are generally available is handy to have, and that information is more stable. You can create a nice list from godesalco.com .

Brilliant, thanks everyone. I’ll check out Gronze.

Is there still some accommodation along the way closed due to covid or is everything up and running now?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Regrettably, I am sure that some accommodations will not have survived so Gronze will let you know those that are available.

Regrettably, I am sure that some accommodations will not have survived so Gronze will let you know those that are available.
I’m hoping that I can just find accommodation each night without booking ahead…is that a reasonable assumption?

Yes, I have seen it and other similar ones. But these days, the phone apps are much easier to maintain and update - especially with the uncertainties that Covid has brought. All of this information is updated daily on sites such as Gronze. And their databases don't produce summary reports such as this.

The list of villages and distances, and an indication of whether lodging/services are generally available is handy to have, and that information is more stable. You can create a nice list from godesalco.com .
Agreed! A lot of the spreadsheets have not been updated in a few years (actually - haven't found ANY current ones). Gronze was pretty accurate last summer, moreso than the apps. And I think all of the apps have been working to get updated since then - so I expect them to be more accurate this summer when I return.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I’m hoping that I can just find accommodation each night without booking ahead…is that a reasonable assumption?
There was a time that was so. Less so now. Booking St Jean through to Pamplona is recommended. Thereafter you'll have to go by feel, your knowledge of your daily mileages and the number of pilgrims you are coincident with.

I think it likely that simple Albergue accommodations will be available on a walk-up basis simply because so many are seeking private rooms.

Brilliant, thanks everyone. I’ll check out Gronze.

Is there still some accommodation along the way closed due to covid or is everything up and running now?
There are some that permanently closed. There are some that were planning to re-open this year. Gronze was pretty good with updating as I walked last summer. Also - the website is in Spanish - but you can use your web browser to translate. But be aware - the translation may also change the names of some albergues so you may need to switch back and forth from Spanish (of you don't read Spanish) to get the information you need but then to verify the name of the albergue.

Depends. Booking SJPDP to Pamplona is usually recommended during busy seasons. After that - you can probably wing it. Or - if you find that there IS a bed race - you can reserve the night before or same day if you are concerned you won't get a bed somewhere.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There was a time that was so. Less so now. Booking St Jean through to Pamplona is recommended. Thereafter you'll have to go by feel, your knowledge of your daily mileages and the number of pilgrims you are coincident with.

I think it likely that simple Albergue accommodations will be available on a walk-up basis simply because so many are seeking private rooms.
Why is it less so now? Even in May?

I’ll just be looking for a cheap bed in a dorm…so hoping to stay mainly in the municipal albergues. I don’t think you can book these in advance anyway can you…

There are some that permanently closed. There are some that were planning to re-open this year. Gronze was pretty good with updating as I walked last summer. Also - the website is in Spanish - but you can use your web browser to translate. But be aware - the translation may also change the names of some albergues so you may need to switch back and forth from Spanish (of you don't read Spanish) to get the information you need but then to verify the name of the albergue.
Did you manage ok without booking anything in advance…thats my only concern really. I’m assuming in May I should be ok as the busiest period won’t have started yet

I’ll just be looking for a cheap bed in a dorm…so hoping to stay mainly in the municipal albergues. I don’t think you can book these in advance anyway can you…
Because Covid has kicked the Parochial, volunteer run, Albergues in the particulars. Some are still closed, some may stay that way. Some of the private Albergues ran out of money to pay the mortgage while we all ducked for cover and will not open again. There are political (which we don't discuss on this forum) and practical drivers for that scenario. That said the picture is changing every day. As I said previously I think you will have a good chance of finding a bed in the sorts of places that aren't on booking.con, don't take telephone reservations and don't do private rooms. And I'm sure that you are able to make your own assessment of the actual situation on the ground when you are there. I'm not making a prediction I'm describing my own assessment.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I see you have a million questions and that is so normal for a first camino. You are getting some good advice so let me kind of break it down for you.
Yes to relieve your anxiety go ahead and book from SJPP to Pamplona. By the time you get to Pamplona you will start to have a much better feel of how many other pilgrims are on the Camino with you. Also know after Pamplona things seem to thin out a little and more people walk different distances.
May is the beginning of high season. But no one knows ahead of time how busy it truly will be until May 1.
I would book here right now:
This albergue can fill up and there is no other albergue in Roncesvalles. There are expensive hotels but no other albergues. If you walk here from SJPP believe me you will not want to walk further.
Municipals and donativos usually will not have reservations. Private albergues will almost always. There is not that much of a difference in price between the two.
Download any or all of the following apps. Buen Camino, Camino Ninja and Wise Pilgrim. Also check Gronze.com Gronze does the best job I believe in keeping you up to date on albergue open/closed. I have heard Camino Ninja does a good job too.
If you have these free apps you will get a wider selection of places to stay as no one app or website is 100% complete in available albergues.
Get up early. It is really nice to walk early in the morning. You will usually find a bar open if you want a coffee and tortilla before you go. It is nice and cool in case it is already starting to get warmer during the day, You will also get to your destination early so you will have a much better chance of getting a bed in a muni or donativo.
Don't worry before you know it you will have it all down. Buen camino

Hey
I use the Camino Ninja app,
they update the database to see what albergues are
open, updated really often.
Available as both an Apple and Anroid app.
Another place where good information is available is the Gronzen website.
https://www.gronze.com

Don't worry
Aah, I wish I'd thought to say that. It is the best piece of advice I've seen on this forum.

covidalberguesleepingbagbootsmorcillasocksrainashphaltpulpobedbugssellostaxismenuperegrinocampinglionsandtigersandbears? Yup! And Booga-boos, none of which are actually a problem when you get there ;)

Buen camino a todos

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I see from another thread that you are planning to start in SJPP around May 1. Here is another thread discussing the numbers starting in SJPP, by week through the year. The first week of May is likely to be the second busiest week of the year (September has a busier week).

The highest arrivals in Santiago are usually in July and August due to the large number of Spaniards who walk the last 100 km during summer breaks.

The first few days out of SJPP can be quite a bottleneck in May and September, because of the surge of walkers from SJPP and the limits on beds (exacerbated by Covid). This eases somewhat after Pamplona.

I would encourage you to do whatever suits you - making reservations or not. But I would not consider is a reasonable assumption that you can walk into Roncesvalles or Zubiri and have much choice in accommodation in the first week of May.

A friend of mine walked the Camino in about 2015. They said they found this spreadsheet (attached pic just shows one page of it) on this forum and it was invaluable. Is there an up to date version published somewhere? I’m starting the walk on about 1st May.
Log into the forum and check under the resource tab. The link is on that page. Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I see from another thread that you are planning to start in SJPP around May 1. Here is another thread discussing the numbers starting in SJPP, by week through the year. The first week of May is likely to be the second busiest week of the year (September has a busier week).

The highest arrivals in Santiago are usually in July and August due to the large number of Spaniards who walk the last 100 km during summer breaks.

The first few days out of SJPP can be quite a bottleneck in May and September, because of the surge of walkers from SJPP and the limits on beds (exacerbated by Covid). This eases somewhat after Pamplona.

I would encourage you to do whatever suits you - making reservations or not. But I would not consider is a reasonable assumption that you can walk into Roncesvalles or Zubiri and have much choice in accommodation in the first week of May.
Thanks for the heads up…I naively thought early in the season would be quieter than mid summer. I arrive in Barcelona on 26th April so could get to SJPP to start on perhaps 30th April if that might help me miss the crowds?

Thanks for the heads up…I naively thought early in the season would be quieter than mid summer. I arrive in Barcelona on 26th April so could get to SJPP to start on perhaps 30th April if that might help me miss the crowds?
Don't worry or concern yourself with the crowds. It is an uncontrollable and you never know from one year to the next or even one week or one day to the next what will be. Just walk and it will all unfold for you. One small thing you can do is not follow the "stages" that are almost all uniformly the same in most of the guidebooks. In that way you can at times avoid the loggam that is created when the camino is crowded and many people are sleeping in "stage" towns and villages.

And many other people have the same thought, along with not wanting to walk during the heat of summer months, hence the large amounts of pilgrims who start in May and September!

This graph of the numbers of pilgrims departing St Jean Pied de Port by month tells the story.

Attachments

• Pilgrims departing from sjpdp by month 2019 - Copy.JPG
    Pilgrims departing from sjpdp by month 2019 - Copy.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 112
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I’ve got everything booked for the first couple of days. Decided to split the walk to Roncesvalles into two days to ease me in gently (first night in Orisson).

I notice a lot of hostels have the option of breakfast…what time is this normally available? I’m planning early starts to make sure I can get a bed if I haven’t booked ahead…

Did you manage ok without booking anything in advance…thats my only concern really. I’m assuming in May I should be ok as the busiest period won’t have started yet
Sorry - missed this! Yes - for the most part I had no problem finding beds without booking in advance. When I heard certain towns had a bed race - I simply called or emailed them the night before or in the am for a bed (or went on booking.com). It really wasn't a problem I always had a bed. Only once did I have a problem - and even then it worked out!

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.