• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are magnesium tablets worthwhile?

NomadBoomer

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances ( 2017, 2018,Aug 2023) Vdlp (2018)
Hi. I'm about to walk my 4th Camino. On my 3rd (precovid) I used magnesium tablets in my water bottle every morning. I'd been told by a friend ít was a good idea. I had a great walk but I don't know if the tablets helped or not. Any advice whether I should spend the money to get some for my next trip or not ?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Not unless your doctor/physician recommends them.

I speak as a nurse who trains for endurance events. I regularly use oral electrolyte solutions which include magnesium, but in much smaller doses than any tablet.

Like anything else, you can overdose on it, and the consequences are potentially severe. And you're more likely to overdose if you have any of several pretty common medical conditions.

BL: Only if your doctor recommends them.

I think you should consult with your doctor about any new supplement you are considering. You should consider, for example, what you are intending to "cure", any interaction with other medication, balance with other minerals, etc.

Many people take prepared electrolytes, but most people I know, including myself, rely on normal healthy food items.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Be aware that some forms of magnesium, such as magnesium oxide and magnesium citrate, can have an, umm, laxative effect. You would want to get the timing right if taking those. 😉

I would say it depends if you take medication that depletes Magnesium. I take a number of asthma inhalers that do and I as such, carry them, because it's better than the serious screaming painful cramps I get if I don't take them. But if you are fit and healthy, maybe try and get a generic electrolyte/vitamin type tablet like Berocca.

I also use Scifit Hydro tablets (mainly because they cost about £2 a tube) instead of Magnesium tablets. A basic multivit/electrolyte tab you drop in water. They contain Sodium, Potassium, Magnesium, Calcium and Zinc, plus a selection of vitamins. Generally used if I have got dehydrated at the gym. I will be carrying 2-3 tubes of them when i'm out on Camino in a few weeks. I will generally put one in my water bottle and drink maybe half a litre of it before bed and the other half first thing in the morning.

When on Camino I carry electrolyte tablets (for day to day) and dioralyte sachets (for when it gets really bad). Sometimes I have the odd can of Monster Green. ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wouldn't take magnesium every day, but I DO carry magnesium packets. (I got them in Spain BTW).
I use them if I get cramps and they work great!

I have used Nuun dissolvable tablets prior to triathlons on hot days. Because once you cramp it is too late. But timing is everything because the caution re: laxative effect is real. 🤪

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I use Nuun to balance the electrolytes (one bottle of water, one bottle of Nuun laced water). I also find that magnesium tables, in my case, are essential. I will get very severe leg cramps once in a while. And I find that taking a magnesium tablet at the first hint of a cramp seems to make it go away.

I‘ve used powdered magnesium on four Caminos. Find it works best at the end of the daily walk in preventing muscle cramps. Don’t need a lot either.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Be aware that some forms of magnesium, such as magnesium oxide and magnesium citrate, can have an, umm, laxative effect. You would want to get the timing right if taking those. 😉

Magnesium Glycinate has the reputation of being the form of magnesium most gentle on the digestive system. I take one 240 mg capsule nightly before bed to assist with sleep. I did reduce my dosage from two nightly capsules for the reasons presented by Trecile above. 😊

Hi. I'm about to walk my 4th Camino. On my 3rd (precovid) I used magnesium tablets in my water bottle every morning. I'd been told by a friend ít was a good idea. I had a great walk but I don't know if the tablets helped or not. Any advice whether I should spend the money to get some for my next trip or not ?
Yeah, they helped me to prevent shin splints on my second Camino. I also bought the capsules instead of dissolvable tablets - because the capsules provide a slow release which didn't upset my stomach and get me charging for the nearest "gasolinera" first thing in the morning!

I have a cousin in the Spanish Military and he recommended the magnesium capsules and also a special cream (sorry, I don't have the details at the moment). They use it when on trekking drills, where they have to carry heavy backpacks and walk for long distances over rough terrain

I find that Magnesium bisglycinate (or glycinate) 200 mg at bedtime is safe, helps with cramps and helps me sleep and is low enought of a dose to not cause any diarrhea. It works more on the muscles and the others are more active on the bowels especially Mag citrate. We actually need Magnesium for our many many enzymatic reactions in our bodies and when we are walking so much every day which is not our norm for most of us, it is easy to get cramps from so much muscle use - I avoid the electrolyte solutions as they are usually so full of sugar that is not great for our systems unles it is like currently ridiculously hot in a lot of Spain ( I am surprised we aren't hearing more about this on this forum this year) and we are sweating +++ then we may need some electrolytes then I use the Nuun that others have described. I sincerely doubt anyone will overdose on 200 mg magnesium nightly - and overdosing really is obvious - ie the diarrhea.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Eat a balanced diet. Have a banana and an orange every day, and you don't need to pop pills or spike your drinks. Magnesium, and a lot of other minerals and vitamins, happen naturally in fruit and veg.
But it's weight (and for me ease of usage). On a walk where weight isn't good. A tablet weighs a mere gram or two. A banana much more. I can carry 20 tablets for the weight of an orange. I would rather throw a tablet in a litre of water.

Still i do eat bananas for my Potassium, but not a fan of citrus fruits. ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Most defiantly and my husband and I have walked three caminos and have used Epson salts (magnesium sulphate) a plastic collapsible foot bath on our feet to help revive the muscles and reduce inflammation after each day of walking.

I used to do a lot of cycling including a number of long, organized charity rides. In the summer, pickle juice was often provided at the rest stops. It basically helps to replace the electrolytes (primarily sodium) that you lose trhough excessive perspiring. That excessive loss of electrolytes can definitely cause cramping. I remember on one long hilly ride in relatively cool weather having cramps in practically every possible part of my lower body (hips to toes). In that case, the hills probably contributed more to my cramping than dehydration, but I probably didn't hydrate as much as I should have. That said, I doubt that pickle juice will be readily available (if at all) on the Camino. I used Nuun tablets regularly in my water bottle when riding and would agree with the previous posters that it would be a great option on the Camino, particularly in warm and/or hot/and or humid weather. Hydration is critical, regardless of the temperature.

If you have a health issue which does not allow you to properly absorb vitamins and minerals I would suggest you talk to your doctor and get some medically approved magnesium power from a pharmacist. Its stronger and more suited to such health needs. If you just want a small daily boost of magnesium then take the tabs you have. I write from personal experience. The tabs, are for me, negligible to my requirement and health condition.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Magnesium is good choice for those who find they drink more on the Camino than they might do at home. Wine flows easily on the Camino, and some aren't used to that. Heavier alcohol intake, combined with the increased daily physical exertion, can result in a greater than normal loss of magnesium (and overall electrolyte and mineral imbalance) from tissues and increased urinary loss (dehydration) - and risk for cramps. Magnesium, and electrolyte supplements help in this regard. The typical coffee/bocadillo-tortilla/menu del dia diet might not contain enough natural magnesium to offset this loss. I may or may not speak from experience. 😉 I drank a lot of Aquarius whenever I could to help with rehydration as it contains mineral and vitamin supplements.

Yes get them

the 'LIKE' button on my post(s) does not exist - am I being censored in some way? Is there a malfunction? Or is that normal?
Regards, Keith

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Might also be a minimum post count before you can use the Like button. It should be in the FAQ or you could ask in the forum section.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As "luck" would gave it I got a cramp 1st night in SJPdP. It pretty much worked itself out by next morning (thankfully) but a bit of puffiness on the leg remained...
While I was sitting on the Orisson deck one of German pilgrims noticed the puff and said thar I should take Magnesium 400mg and even provided 1st pill
The rest of the Camino went cramp-free and yes I used pills

Hi NomadBoomer
I recently checked such tabs on sale in a local supermarket. I require magnesium all the time and buy pharmaceutical quality powder which I only need take bi-or-tri monthly.
The thing about the much cheaper tabs that I checked last week is that you should examine the complete list of ingredients which vary between product brands but be careful what you are taking on a daily basis and exactly how much magnesium you would benefit from and its quality. Take advice from a chemist if needs be, or even your doctor, but I would never take most of those tab brands daily due to their added ingredients and low magnesium worth.
Ultreia
Keith

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That is normal - you cannot "Like" your own post. There is no minimum post requirement before those emojis become available.
Why would I 'like' my own post - why would anyone? Why would any pilgrim? You really do like to control things, don't you ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
I am due to commence my Camino next Sunday, (Sarria to Santiago), but a month ago developed my first ever case of plantar fasciitis. I have consulted with a podiatrist and diligently performed the...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...
I was walking the Via the la Plata. After about 10 days I developed first signs of a blister. I put a plaster on it. When arriving in Valdesalor I saw that the blister was "open" I am a diabetic...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back