• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are there any unsafe or dangerous area on the CF for solo travellers?

Hi!

I will be walking the Camino next May/June 2014 and was wondering if there are any areas of danger for a solo walker? I have read where there are certain areas one must make sure they are with another Pilgrim(s). This was from a story of a 2002 Pilgrimage, so mabye it is not relevant anymore. (I believe it was specific to the dogs on the trail issue. ) None the less it has me a bit apprehensive. I know I will meet fellow Pilgrims, but I also want to be alone at times. Any thoughts or information will be helpful in my planning. Thank you so much in advance and
Buen Camino to all!
Rosemary:D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
On the Camino Frances route, I am not aware of any areas that one might deem unsafe for a solo walker.

There are a couple of long stretches; one (17 km) leaving Carrion de los Condes and the other further east of Calzada del Coto that you should be prepared to carry enough water and some snacks since there is nothing in the terms of bars, cafes or food stores. And if you walking during the off season, through the mountains of the Pyrenees and hills of Galicia, you may encounter all types of cold and wet weather. Likewise the Meseta can get extremely hot during the summer months.

Probably the larger cities on Burgos and Leon might be more considered riskier but only due to risk of normal city vehicle traffic, etc.

That said stuff can happen (I fell and sliced my hand open requiring stitches) anywhere anytime but you will be rarely out of reach of immediate assistance.

On the Camino Frances route, I am not aware of any areas that one might deem unsafe for a solo walker.

There are a couple of long stretches; one (17 km) leaving Carrion de los Condes and the other further east of Calzada del Coto that you should be prepared to carry enough water and some snacks since there is nothing in the terms of bars, cafes or food stores. And if you walking during the off season, through the mountains of the Pyrenees and hills of Galicia, you may encounter all types of cold and wet weather. Likewise the Meseta can get extremely hot during the summer months.

Probably the larger cities on Burgos and Leon might be more considered riskier but only due to risk of normal city vehicle traffic, etc.

That said stuff can happen (I fell and sliced my hand open requiring stitches) anywhere anytime but you will be rarely out of reach of immediate assistance.
Jirit,

Thank you so much and you have eased my tension with your post! I am looking forward to the journey and the experience!

Rosemary

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Jirit,

Thank you so much and you have eased my tension with your post! I am looking forward to the journey and the experience!

Rosemary
Hi!

I will be walking the Camino next May/June 2014 and was wondering if there are any areas of danger for a solo walker? I have read where there are certain areas one must make sure they are with another Pilgrim(s). This was from a story of a 2002 Pilgrimage, so mabye it is not relevant anymore. (I believe it was specific to the dogs on the trail issue. ) None the less it has me a bit apprehensive. I know I will meet fellow Pilgrims, but I also want to be alone at times. Any thoughts or information will be helpful in my planning. Thank you so much in advance and
Buen Camino to all!

Hi Rosemary

I walked the Camino in May/June this year.
The Pyrenees was the most dangerous for me as it snowed heavily and I was not prepared for such severe temperatures.
The dogs I encountered were all tied up and I did not find any issues along "The Way"
There were many women walking alone and the few I spoke to had no issues at all.

You are going to love the Camino.

Buen Camino.

Hi Rosemary

I walked the Camino in May/June this year.
The Pyrenees was the most dangerous for me as it snowed heavily and I was not prepared for such severe temperatures.
The dogs I encountered were all tied up and I did not find any issues along "The Way"
There were many women walking alone and the few I spoke to had no issues at all.

You are going to love the Camino.

Buen Camino.
Darren,

Thank you so much! I guess the unknown is what is a little frightful, but I will be true to myself and let the Camino guide me. Thank you again!
Rosemary

Hi,
It is totally safe! I went as a solo female this June and never had a problem. I also met a group and walked with them everyday. The only spot that I thought was a bit "eerie" in my opinion, was the long stretch in to Santo Domingo de la Calzada. You have to walk on a dirt road behind a potato industry thing and it just looked creepy to me. And it was a truck driver kind of stop place so there were men in trucks just hitched there. I was walking later in the afternoon and thankfully had one other with me. Just creeped me out, but nothing to probably worry about during the "normal" walking hours with the camino crowd. And I never had any issues with any dogs, the Spanish dogs on the roads near the camino are so calm and rarely even notice walkers. Have an amazing time!!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi bmj91!

Thank you for the reply. I will may a little more attention to that area. I am sure it will be fine but it is good to be prepared. Also, thank you for letting me know about the dog!! That is what has had me the most fearful. I love dogs but having been chased and bitten while biking I am "creeped out" by strange dogs. What was the weather like in June? I am going late May -June next year? I WILL have an amazing time!!

Rosemary:cool:

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hey....
Im on the Camino now.

I have had three interesting experiences...and I wasnt sure if I should post or not. As for the majority of the time I have been solo. Very realy walking with any one.

First was leaving Vanna after the detour. I had a guy pull up beside me in a burgundy sedan. He looked me up and down...and drove down the road. He stopped at a church (?) With trees. I got a bad vibe...his car door was open...and he started to walk towards me. I crossed over, kept my head down and grabbed my poles as if I knew how to use them as a weapon. ( I don't by the way). He got back in his car and followed me down the road...then all of a sudden speed past really close and took off down a lane.

The second happened out of Logorono. A young women appeared on the path in frobt of me. She had a pack...but it looked weird like it had been stuffed. She was fit and kept falling just behind me. At one stage at the lake she "demanded" I take a picture of her. So I did...then she demanded she take a picture of me. She stepped a long was back. Then holding my camera started asking about my gear. I got up and got my camera and kept walking. She followed. I let her go past and on the bridge she again demanded I look at the fish. Then take a photo of her. ..then she demanded to take one of me. I said no. And she seemed really angry. I tried to extend my lead...but she would stay just behind me. Until we got to the next village. I didnt see her after that.

The third was on the way to Zubiri. As I popped up a hill and had to cross the road these idiots in a van veered off the road towards me to give me a fright. It did.

Apart from that...I have felt really safe. I have had a rough Camino...and sadly it ends tomorrow in Leon with a torn calf muscel ( from getting out of a lift in Burgos) good grief. :confused:

Im not sad....I have witnesd so many miracles on my walk....and meet the most amazing angels. And....I will still make it to Santiago .....but just in a bus.

This walk is safe....but thats not to say that as a female you should let your guard down.

Lise,

I am so sorry to hear of your torn calf muscle! Also, some uncomfortable moments on the Camino. People from all over the world have different customs and different reactions to situations. Hopefully, there were no intentions of wrong doing on your three mentioned experiences. But, I am glad you are safe and that you did in fact meet some Camino Angels! I will be thinking of you and thank you for sharing! Blessings to you!
Rosemary

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I suppose I am less sanguine that it completely safe than some earlier contributors. Technically, taking Route Napoleon can be dangerous if the weather turns bad, visibility falls and it becomes difficult to stay on the path crossing into Spain*. This is less likely at the time you plan to walk. Similarly the other stretches that might be snow clad in winter won't bother you. Walking alone always poses additional risks if you sustain an injury in marginal conditions. Heed the warnings by the authorities in SJPP, and walk Route Valcarlos or wait for the weather to clear if it becomes marginal.

* (This was the only part of the film 'The Way' that I thought realistic. All the rest tended to imaginative fiction, but that is what sells tickets and DVDs :))

There are some difficult stretches of trail, most memorable on the descent into Molinaseca, but these are not in any sense remote, and travelling alone should not be a problem.

Your personal safety and security is another matter. Solo travellers need to observe fairly standard precautions to avoid theft and assault. Clearly a solo traveller is more vulnerable here. While there might be some risk walking in the country, the major risks here are no different to any other travel. Crowded places where you might be more relaxed are the most obvious places to be a little more alert. Walking the Camino might offer an indulgence, but it does not offer immunity!

When I walked, there were no aggressive dogs on the loose. There were a few who bounced around and barked at the end of a leash or behind a shut gate, but they weren't all that common either.

None of this should deter you from walking. I thought that walking the CF was relatively safe given my previous experiences trekking and travelling. Walk cautiously where required and take normal travel precautions and you should be fine.

Regards,

I suppose I am less sanguine that it completely safe than some earlier contributors. Technically, taking Route Napoleon can be dangerous if the weather turns bad, visibility falls and it becomes difficult to stay on the path crossing into Spain*. This is less likely at the time you plan to walk. Similarly the other stretches that might be snow clad in winter won't bother you. Walking alone always poses additional risks if you sustain an injury in marginal conditions. Heed the warnings by the authorities in SJPP, and walk Route Valcarlos or wait for the weather to clear if it becomes marginal.

* (This was the only part of the film 'The Way' that I thought realistic. All the rest tended to imaginative fiction, but that is what sells tickets and DVDs :))

There are some difficult stretches of trail, most memorable on the descent into Molinaseca, but these are not in any sense remote, and travelling alone should not be a problem.

Your personal safety and security is another matter. Solo travellers need to observe fairly standard precautions to avoid theft and assault. Clearly a solo traveller is more vulnerable here. While there might be some risk walking in the country, the major risks here are no different to any other travel. Crowded places where you might be more relaxed are the most obvious places to be a little more alert. Walking the Camino might offer an indulgence, but it does not offer immunity!

When I walked, there were no aggressive dogs on the loose. There were a few who bounced around and barked at the end of a leash or behind a shut gate, but they weren't all that common either.

None of this should deter you from walking. I thought that walking the CF was relatively safe given my previous experiences trekking and travelling. Walk cautiously where required and take normal travel precautions and you should be fine.

Regards,

Doug,

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I agree with all you said and I shall be cautious and alert when needed. Just reading the replies has relieved my fears.

I will go and walk the CF and experience what surprises, joys and lessons are waiting there for me!

I went the last week of may and all of June. The first 2 days were horrid rain so no route Napoleon for me. Listen to the people in the camino office to which way you should go. But the rest of June was perfect. Not too hot on the meseta, maybe mid 80s at the hottest. And one other thing, if you are planning to watch the sunset in finisterre, make sure you have a group or a guy to walk back to your place with. It's dark and a little bit of a walk, a few kilos. That was the only time I was alone and got scared. But just use common sense and you will be fine :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I went the last week of may and all of June. The first 2 days were horrid rain so no route Napoleon for me. Listen to the people in the camino office to which way you should go. But the rest of June was perfect. Not too hot on the meseta, maybe mid 80s at the hottest. And one other thing, if you are planning to watch the sunset in finisterre, make sure you have a group or a guy to walk back to your place with. It's dark and a little bit of a walk, a few kilos. That was the only time I was alone and got scared. But just use common sense and you will be fine :)
Great post! Thank you so much. Did you walk to Finisterre? I am taking off the last week of May and all of June (2014) as you did and hope to get that far!:cool:

Hello
I walked the end of June and beginning of July from Sarria to Finisterre solo
I never once felt uncomfortable during my journey
Although I do remember walking by a dog on a cobbled street, then all of the sudden this intense noise arose behind me
I was convinced that the dog was running after me, when I turned it was a bicycle pounding over the cobblestones
It was a huge relief.
Be careful, be vigilant, but be open as well
Been Camino
Cheryl

Hello
I walked the end of June and beginning of July from Sarria to Finisterre solo
I never once felt uncomfortable during my journey
Although I do remember walking by a dog on a cobbled street, then all of the sudden this intense noise arose behind me
I was convinced that the dog was running after me, when I turned it was a bicycle pounding over the cobblestones
It was a huge relief.
Be careful, be vigilant, but be open as well
Been Camino
Cheryl
Cheryl,

Thank you for your reply. I love how you said "be careful, be vigilant, but be open as well." And so I shall. I feel as my journey has already begun!

Rosemary

Totally safe except one dog between Villafranca and O'Cebriero. I believe the village was Trabadelo, but it could be another during this day. My brother and I were walking through this village when we were funneled by buildings into the kill zone. I spotted a vicious looking German shepherd growling at us, baring his teeth. Thinking back to watching episodes of the Dog Whisperer, I acknowledged him quickly, puffed out my chest and walked bravely past, ignoring him. My elder brother, who obviously missed that show was following 5 yards behind. All of a sudden I hear him calling, "Larry, LARRY!" I turn to see him walking backwards with the dog lunging at him. I yelled "NO!" and prepared to defend myself with my baston. At that instant I heard a villager yell something to the dog, who laid off. Later my brother told me the dog had nipped at his rump before he called my name.

Up in O'Cebreiro, we shared a beer with some Camino friends who were also terrorized by this dog.

Totally safe except one dog between Villafranca and O'Cebriero. I believe the village was Trabadelo, but it could be another during this day. My brother and I were walking through this village when we were funneled by buildings into the kill zone. I spotted a vicious looking German shepherd growling at us, baring his teeth. Thinking back to watching episodes of the Dog Whisperer, I acknowledged him quickly, puffed out my chest and walked bravely past, ignoring him. My elder brother, who obviously missed that show was following 5 yards behind. All of a sudden I hear him calling, "Larry, LARRY!" I turn to see him walking backwards with the dog lunging at him. I yelled "NO!" and prepared to defend myself with my baston. At that instant I heard a villager yell something to the dog, who laid off. Later my brother told me the dog had nipped at his rump before he called my name.

Up in O'Cebreiro, we shared a beer with some Camino friends who were also terrorized by this dog.
Great...just when I think it is safe to go back into the water!!!:eek:

I didnt make it to Finisterre, I did not plan enough time. I started the camino and had planned on skipping the meseta but 3 days in to the camino realized I needed to walk the WHOLE thing. So I payed a somewhat decent amount of money to extend my flight about a week longer. Best investment on the camino. But if you have time to walk to Finisterre I heard its a great end of the camino. I just took the bus to watch the sunset my last night in Spain. Beautiful.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I can't comment on walking alone as a woman, but I've walked alone quite frequently, and generally speaking, the specific dangers of walking alone involve stuff like the mountain stages in bad weather ; the traffic into Burgos and a couple of other places on the road if you're not careful ; walking in winter or off the Francès itself if anything happens (accidents etc), because you'll be far less sure of other pilgrims on the road able to help you ; being targetted by thieves, though this is far worse in Italy than Spain. A mobile phone will help alleviate these risks, provided you're not in a long stretch of wilderness without a network. Finding walking companions when you get there is even better ...

The risks of walking alone on the Camino Francès are FAR less than when walking alone and well away from any of the major routes ...

Hi Rosemary, I walked alone in May/June of this year and felt completely safe. You're never truly 'alone' on the trail at this time of year because its quite busy and even if I'd fallen or got sick, someone would have been there within minutes anyway. If you are nervous, you can always make sure you walk with people within shouting distance. I found there were always people behind me and in front of me. I was slow, and so even when people got ahead of me, there were always people coming up behind who had left some village or town hours behind me! And everyone is always willing to assist you, and on the lookout for people in trouble. As for dogs, they were all harmless. I found Spanish dogs on the camino to be docile. I wish you a great walk. It will touch you for all of your life.

Cheynee,

Thank you for your post. It makes feel more determined and not as fearful...I so appreciate it! My biggest hurdle now is wrapping my head around being gone from work for 5 weeks! Not, that what I do is rocket science and I almost feel it is selfish on my part to think I am so invaluable! Planning and prep work.:eek:

A new forum has been set up here since this thread was started which those concerned about safety might like to look at:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/personal-safety.162/

This should be read knowing that all bad experiences are collected there and that although many hundreds of thousands of people walk the Caminos every year the number of incidents is small, nevertheless the Caminos are not on another planet and what could happen in your home town could happen on the Caminos.

My 2 cents aren't gender specific, nor did I do as I'm about to say, BUT...I'm quick to laugh off warnings so crossed the Route Napoleon in a snow storm (and but for the Grace of God didn't end up a sad statistic like the year after I did it...had locals urged the low route? Yes). Don't walk the Hospitales alone they told me? Ha!! Then I realized I had no cell phone coverage and hadn't seen another pilgrim all day. Did I come nose to nose with a bull? Yes. In a bad rain a local elderly lady tried to turn me to a road rather the Camino between Markina and Ziortza. I HAD to walk the Camino, and became so hypothermic that I think the monks feared they'd lose me (and have tons of paperwork).

Guess I'm saying I wouldn't look for things to worry about (I think crime and Cujos are rare) but just be sensible and heed the advice of locals...

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back