• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Are there options on the Camino instead of the shared accomodation?

Mark M

Hi,
If I want an alternate accomodation such as a small hotel are there many options on the Camino? And are they open for business in March? With thanks M

A selection of Camino Jewellery
lots of places, big price range, some really great options. There are those who think the camino is all about the albergues, and those who prefer other lodging. In March you will have all sorts of places available.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Posadas del Camino... If traveling with a partner and eat tapas for dinner it is the same amount you would pay for the albergue plus albergue dinner.

I have a girlfriend who lives on the Camino Madrid so that would solve one night's accommodation for me. Now all I need is some more girl friends in other stopping places. So I need another 30 or so between Madrid ans SDC via Sagahun. Any suggestions? PS this won't work if my girlfriend finds out as I will then need another place to stop! ;)

Hola,

I would think most guidebooks include other kinds of accommodation, as the Brierley guide does. I would not recommend it, but you can check on Booking.com (often cheaper to ring yourself and make a booking) and TravelAdviser and find accommodation of different types in almost every place along the French Way. And of course you can always try at least one of the old pilgrim hospitals which have now become Parador Hotels (one at least, they have long been a part of the Camino).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi,
If I want an alternate accomodation such as a small hotel are there many options on the Camino? And are they open for business in March? With thanks M

Plenty! As others have said already, most guide books state them or state at least if there are any in that village / locality. March is a quite, but not too quite season on the CF, so most businesses will be open and also the albergues will not be too full. SY

I have a girlfriend who lives on the Camino Madrid so that would solve one night's accommodation for me. Now all I need is some more girl friends in other stopping places. So I need another 30 or so between Madrid ans SDC via Sagahun. Any suggestions? PS this won't work if my girlfriend finds out as I will then need another place to stop! ;)
I like Al's options. My wife of 45 years (yes We are dinosaurs) might not agree. However, what plays in Vegas, stays in Vegas. Or if you prefer, when in Rome--- :).

I would not recommend it, but you can check on Booking.com
I do recommend Booking.com. I always got a better price from them than at the door of the hostal! Several times I sat outside the place and made the Booking.com reservation, then checked in. It worked well both in France and Spain.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I do recommend Booking.com. I always got a better price from them than at the door of the hostal! Several times I sat outside the place and made the Booking.com reservation, then checked in. It worked well both in France and Spain.

Me too. Registering with Booking.com also gives you access to Smart deals which they throw up online on a regular basis and can save you up to 50% in some cases. The Smart deals are usually for specific days, but as Falcon said, if you leave the booking until one or two days before your intended stay, you should find something to suit.

Another thing to bear in mind - I might have said it elsewhere here before - is that there's very little difference between 2-, 3- and 4-star hotels in Spain, so don't be put off by looking at the lower-rated accommodation.

Also, the Posada chain gives you a 10% discount card which you can use in any of their facilities along the route. You might have to ask at reception for it though. I gave my card to a New Zealand family this summer because they were planning on staying in Posada's all along the Camino, whereas I was not. It saved them quite a bit of money.

+1 to that. The booking.com app is great. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Another thing to bear in mind - I might have said it elsewhere here before - is that there's very little difference between 2-, 3- and 4-star hotels in Spain, so don't be put off by looking at the lower-rated accommodation.

So true, My wife and I have been looking for accommodation in Leon for a weekend ( trip not related to the Camino) and having checked out prices and hotel we have found that the difference between a 2 star and a 4 star hotel is from 3 to 5 euros.

Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So true, My wife and I have been looking for accommodation in Leon for a weekend ( trip not related to the Camino) and having checked out prices and hotel we have found that the difference between a 2 star and a 4 star hotel is from 3 to 5 euros.

Buen Camino!
Thank you. Good advice. Im arriving via the US. Which is the best airport to arrive at?

Thank you. Good advice. Im arriving via the US. Which is the best airport to arrive at?
Hi Mark

If you are coming from Perth Australia I would have thought it would be easier to fly through Asia and arrive directly in Europe?

However even if you decide to fly through the states, I suggest you check out the thread dealing with traveling to and from from the camino, for suggestions.

Hi Mark

If you are coming from Perth Australia I would have thought it would be easier to fly through Asia and arrive directly in Europe?

However even if you decide to fly through the states, I suggest you check out the thread dealing with traveling to and from from the camino, for suggestions.
Thank you.

€46,-
Hi, I am planning my first walk at 66. I have considered a bike as well, not sure. What route would you suggest? I am fit and active but plan to ease into it. I am thinking May or June.

Hi, I am planning my first walk at 66. I have considered a bike as well, not sure. What route would you suggest? I am fit and active but plan to ease into it. I am thinking May or June.
Well done on planning your first walk. me too. Enjoy.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I also use this app on my phone but I had a strange experience earlier this year while walking from Sarria with my wife. I wanted to stay in Casa Amancio so I checked it in Bookings.com and it showed one double room available at €65. That was was more expensive than last year so I rang them directly and they said yes they had a double and it was €40, same as last year. First time I had any trouble with this site. Its best to check directly to make a comparison.

I also use this app on my phone but I had a strange experience earlier this year while walking from Sarria with my wife. I wanted to stay in Casa Amancio so I checked it in Bookings.com and it showed one double room available at €65. That was was more expensive than last year so I rang them directly and they said yes they had a double and it was €40, same as last year. First time I had any trouble with this site. Its best to check directly to make a comparison.

Thank you for this info. I wonder if there is a really helpful app out there? I only want it for accomodation...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thank you for this info. I wonder if there is a really helpful app out there? I only want it for accomodation...
Many people use a comparison site app like Trivago etc. They compare several booking sites and you pick the one that suits you. Keep all your details if using Trivago because if you loose your booking number or anything else goes wrong you cannot contact them afterwards. I'm sure there are others out there as well. A google search should find them.

Many people use a comparison site app like Trivago etc. They compare several booking sites and you pick the one that suits you. Keep all your details if using Trivago because if you loose your booking number or anything else goes wrong you cannot contact them afterwards. I'm sure there are others out there as well. A google search should find them.

Thank you very much. Good advice. I will do. BTW - do you carry a smartphone, ipad ? I can't decide but trying to cut weight in my backpack.

Mark, I carry a Samsung Galaxy S3. I prefer Android to Apple. The Samsung is way lighter, has a brilliant camera, I carry a spare battery (just in case) , and a16Gb micro SD card for all the photos. You cannot do either of these with the apple as it is a sealed phone, but then each to his own. The screen is big enough for email,skype and even blog if you want. It is also great for keeping in touch with this forum while traveling. Hope this helps.
Pat
PS Just noticed you are from Australia, Apple seem to be the most popular there. My brother, who lives there would not use anything else, but then he is very set in his ways. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Mark, I carry a Samsung Galaxy S3. I prefer Android to Apple. The Samsung is way lighter, has a brilliant camera, I carry a spare battery (just in case) , and a16Gb micro SD card for all the photos. You cannot do either of these with the apple as it is a sealed phone, but then each to his own. The screen is big enough for email,skype and even blog if you want. It is also great for keeping in touch with this forum while traveling. Hope this helps.
Pat
Great advice Thank you,

The Camino can be very difficult on a bike, I cycle a little but when I saw what some of the cyclists had to endure I was glad I walked. I have great respect for those guys.

Many albergues have one or more private rooms that you can reserve. The average price for a private room along the Camino is 25-30 Euros/individual room, breakfast included, although you can definitely find cheaper. In Sahagun I stayed at a beautiful hostal on the Camino path called Hostal Alfonso VI for 25 Euros. The owners were lovely, very kind to pilgrims. They made me feel at home, a home cooked full breakfast the next day was wonderful. I met an older Irish couple that got a beautiful room in a home for 25 Euros, dinner included! They got it through the town Office of Tourism when they told them the Municipal albergue was full. Apparently, some Tourism offices along the Camino have a Plan D, (E, F.....;)) when it comes to late arrivals and full albergues.

With the Spanish economy the way it is nowadays and seeing how hard many Spaniards are working to make ends meet, I certainly feel very good about fueling the local economies.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi,
If I want an alternate accommodation such as a small hotel are there many options on the Camino? And are they open for business in March? With thanks M
I too will be looking for small hotels or casas with a room and bathroom but in April. I was wondering how far in advance is suggested for pre booking? If anyone else has walked the Camino this way, did you book the night before or a week/few days at a time? We would prefer some flexibility in how far we walk each day as we are not sure how we will go ....Thanks for your help. Joanne

I did the Camino in September 2013. Some places I dropped in, most I booked a day or two in advance. The last 100km was packed with pilgrims... I ended up booking all those days a week in advance.

Thanks for the heads up.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi,

We walked in winter so there were almost nil albergues open, we had no choice but to stay in cheap pensions (about 35 or so euros a night for a simple basic room and ensuite bathroom). We didn't book ahead at all, just asked in a bar or cafe in the town wherewe decided to stop in for the night if they knew of accommodation. Easy. Sometimes we found something in our John Brierley guidebook. A few times we lashed out and stayed somewhere more expensive.
Maggie Ramsay
"The Italian Camino" (Amazon)

When I needed a break from the albergues I found the Hostals to be really nice. it's an inexpensive sort of hotel. I just showed up and seemed to have no problem. I was on the Camino Frances this time last year. My favorite was a place right near the Cathedral in Leon called Hostal Guzman El Bueno. An Guzman "The Good" has an interesting story... At least according to Wikipedia. Nice place, run by a family. Clean, quiet and close to the Cathedral.
Have fun,
R

There are many options for hostales. Many pilgrims do not stay in albergues. Some of the pilgrim accommodations also have private rooms, so you can blend your accommodation selection.

http://www.mundicamino.com/ingles/rutas.cfm?id=15

will show you Lodging for each stage (and Refuges).
Hello Falcon, thank you for providing the link. I am having trouble finding the lodging on that site however. It looks like it might be down? Thx. Ed

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When I needed a break from the albergues I found the Hostals to be really nice. it's an inexpensive sort of hotel. I just showed up and seemed to have no problem. I was on the Camino Frances this time last year. My favorite was a place right near the Cathedral in Leon called Hostal Guzman El Bueno. An Guzman "The Good" has an interesting story... At least according to Wikipedia. Nice place, run by a family. Clean, quiet and close to the Cathedral.
Have fun,
R
Thanks for the recommendation. Joanne

We walked in winter so there were almost nil albergues open, we had no choice but to stay in cheap pensions (about 35 or so euros a night for a simple basic room and ensuite bathroom). We didn't book ahead at all, just asked in a bar or cafe in the town wherewe decided to stop in for the night if they knew of accommodation. Easy. Sometimes we found something in our John Brierley guidebook. A few times we lashed out and stayed somewhere more expensive.
Maggie Ramsay
"The Italian Camino" (Amazon)
Thanks - I think it may be a bit more busy in April, but pensions are the way we prefer to go Joanne

From what I have read, I suspect March may be quiet on the Camino...but I hope I do meet some pilgrims from time to time. This is an important part of the journey.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Does this refer to the Camino Frances or another route? From my own experience, and that of others, many albergues on the CF are open all year round. SY
We walked in winter so there were almost nil albergues open, we had no choice but to stay in cheap pensions ...

Congratulations and Buen Camino.
Walk the Camino Frances. It will be an adventure, it's popular and well marked, somewhat challenging but not prohibitively so.
Kathy

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back