• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack or just a bag

AlexB

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés
Hi,
I'm off to CDN tomorrow but this is in my mind. I got the baggage transfer from from Correos and I will going to walk from Irun to Llanes this time, so my plan is to carry a 22lts day pack and send the 40lts backpack every day.

Previously in Frances I carried my backpack all the way from St Jean de Pied to Santiago and used Jacotrans twice, this time I got the baggage transfer, maybe I can take a bag that converts into a backpack instead of my 40Llts backpack? any advise

a rucksack with wheels

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi,
I'm off to CDN tomorrow but this is in my mind. I got the baggage transfer from from Correos and I will going to walk from Irun to Llanes this time, so my plan is to carry a 22lts day pack and send the 40lts backpack every day.

Previously in Frances I carried my backpack all the way from St Jean de Pied to Santiago and used Jacotrans twice, this time I got the baggage transfer, maybe I can take a bag that converts into a backpack instead of my 40Llts backpack? any advise

a rucksack with wheels

You are carrying necessities in your daypack. My preference would be to use the easiest to organize suitcase instead of a backpack for transporting stuff not carried. It is amazing the organization of small luggage these days, and for needing to quickly assess and pack and resupply, I would prefer the ease of access that a suitcase provides.

Plus, suitcases can be locked, bright and unusual colors chosen for ease of identification, and large unique logos or symbols painted on to help discourage 'shoppers' from choosing your stuff to make off with.

I would do it the other way round – carry the 40l and send the 22l in the baggage transfer. Why? Because the 40l is more comfortable to carry all day long (with very little in it), than the 22l which will probably pull on your shoulders and give you a very sore neck.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Are you staying in albergues or private rooms? In a private room, you will likely have the space for two bags or a backpack and a suitcase. In an albergue you will be dealing with less space. I would not use a suitcase for daily transfer to albergues. They take up more room in already tight spaces. Pilgrims tend to want to flop them open and/or store them in a walk area instead of closed up under the bunk bed out of the way. Just my opinion as a hospitalera.

Are you staying in albergues or private rooms? In a private room, you will likely have the space for two bags or a backpack and a suitcase. In an albergue you will be dealing with less space. I would not use a suitcase for daily transfer to albergues. They take up more room in already tight spaces. Pilgrims tend to want to flop them open and/or store them in a walk area instead of closed up under the bunk bed out of the way. Just my opinion as a hospitalera.
Yes, I agree, space is a factor in the albergues, I'm staying in albergues and rooms from time to time

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks, CDN accommodation is limited in comparison with CF, and I only found two baggage transfer companies

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, I want to make El Camino from SJPDP (Plus a few days in Portugal and Finisterre) with only one backpack. I am thinking of purchasing the Osprey Aether Plus 60, is it a good option? Or what...
In a quandry about whether to wear my hiking sandals or leather hiking boots on the Camino.
This company has helped people with foot problems for many a long year.. A human story still connects, doesn't it?
Hi all, for anyone interested the macabi skirts are on sale...I have worn these on 3 camino, the Via Francigena, Camino Portugues from Lisbon, and on the Way of St. Francis (in cold and heat 41c)...
Hi everyone I'm really having problems with planning what to pack for my walk from SJPP during mid March. From what I understand the Napolean route will still be closed? And the big headache is...
My daughter is coming with me and wondering if a 2-piece swimsuit is appropriate, or if she needs a 1-piece. Suggestions?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.