• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bathroom/Shower/Toilet facilities in Albergues/Dorms

Crosbie

Time of past OR future Camino
2nd Sept 2023
I am somewhat familiar with showers & loos in French camp sites, but am curious as to the nature of them in albergues.

On some French campsites, the toilets (in the respective M/F block thereof) not only don't have any toilet paper, but also don't have any seats - it's just a porcelain rim, and a lock on the cubicle door if you're lucky. And 1.9m high walls, with a 20-30cm gap from the floor. There is then a shared M/F washroom, with umpteen basins (and a few shaver sockets). The shower block is invariably a set of cubicles, with lockable doors, either side of a shared gutter. Hot/warm water is freely available, but often via a 30 second plunger button.

So, I am curious to know how the facilities in albergues tend to compare with this?
I gather there is no loo paper - or a high risk of there not being any.

Presumably many people get up at 5am to beat the rush at 6am.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There is no single pattern. It is very varied. Some albergues have communal showers of the style I knew from school but that is becoming quite rare. Most toilet and shower areas are segregated by sex but there are some exceptions. In some places there are individual shower rooms with a toilet very similar to what you might find in a hotel room. I have not come across a squat toilet in an albergue or refugio for many years - they are very rare beasts in Spain these days.

The level of privacy and amenity vary considerably. Generally, but not universally, there will be segregated toilets and showers, but I have stayed in places where there is one common toilet/shower area, albeit with individual lockable cubicles. Some places will have segregation between men and women, but no curtains or other dividers within the shower area. Be prepared for (almost) anything here.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yeah, i was wondering if there might be naturist/prison/football style communal shower rooms.

Yeah, i was wondering if there might be naturist/prison/football style communal shower rooms.

I came across them once this year! On the Camino Invierno.
But the men and women were separate bathrooms.
Glad I was the only person staying there!

Any others I have stayed in were generally very good.
If the facilities were 'coed' then cubicles had lockable doors etc.

Not something I would worry about.......

Hotel Vilaseco - Penasillás - Camino Invierno (Great Place to stay with great food)

The Mens Bathroom. Three open showers on the wall.

Bathroom.jpg

Bedroom was nice though!

Bedroom.jpg

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Toilet paper has always been provided in the albergues I've slept in, but not always in sufficient quantities to meet everyone's needs, so you should always carry some.
If the pilgrims don't steal it in the mornings, there's paper. One of my pet peeves. . . :::grouchy face:::

I am somewhat familiar with showers & loos in French camp sites, but am curious as to the nature of them in albergues.

On some French campsites, the toilets (in the respective M/F block thereof) not only don't have any toilet paper, but also don't have any seats - it's just a porcelain rim, and a lock on the cubicle door if you're lucky. And 1.9m high walls, with a 20-30cm gap from the floor. There is then a shared M/F washroom, with umpteen basins (and a few shaver sockets). The shower block is invariably a set of cubicles, with lockable doors, either side of a shared gutter. Hot/warm water is freely available, but often via a 30 second plunger button.

So, I am curious to know how the facilities in albergues tend to compare with this?

Last year saw more separate than shared facilities. No missing toilet seats. Always carry half a roll in a small zip lock bag in my pack (centre tube removed) as also good for “emergency stops”, wiping blood from a graze etc.

I have not come across a squat toilet in an albergue or refugio for many years - they are very rare beasts in Spain these days.
2015 at the Refugio de Montaña in Manjarin (Tomás' place) an outdoor platform across the road with a hole cut into it. Here's a 2019 StreetView. Looks improved to me.
Screenshot_20230821-162935.png

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Last year on the Via the albergues all had good to excellent shower and toilet facilities - all clean or clean enough, and private - with toilet paper. Compared to the Francés in 2008 it was luxury.
Albergues in Galecia are amazing (see image). Many like bespoke hotels with dorms instead of individual rooms.
Dont know what the Francés is like now. Given the number of pilgrims I would bring along a bit of my own toilet paper. 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_4652.jpeg
    IMG_4652.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 112
Lots of variation, in Arres this summer where we volunteered there were two toilets and two showers in one bathroom, both with cabinet doors. In some gender specific bathrooms there may not be curtains or doors on toilet or shower. In some of the Xunta albergues where we stayed in Galicia, the showers were one area with more than one shower nozzle and room for two or more people to shower at once. Several years ago, I stayed at Orrison and there was no toilet seat. On the other hand some albergues have plenty of privacy and toilet paper. If you expect only the minimum, then you'll not be disappointed if things are better. For me as long as it is clean, then I am happy.

On CF, CI and Muxia/Finisterre I always got shower with lockable door, some had a door, then small change area, then shower with curtain or door, always hot water (sometimes with timed plunger, but many are regular faucets). Nearly always had toilet paper. The exception was when it got used up. Only a couple places did not have toilet seats. Some bathrooms had toilet, sink and open/curtained shower. Some dorms have their own bath/shower, even in parochials.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have stayed twice in the albergue in the monastery at Samos. Both times, it was very cold and damp, but with adequate blankets provided for sleep. Bathrooms were communal, with common sink areas and shower areas; there were doors on the toilet stalls. I did not shower either time that I stayed there, so I could not tell you about the privacy level of the showers. For me, in the late autumn, the whole albergue was much too cold to shower in, and very damp. However, I slept just fine with my share of blankets. I would stay there again. It reminded me that I was a pilgrim, and I was privileged to worship with the monks. The albergue was clean, but it cannot have been easy to keep it so, with some late-arriving pilgrims removing the ropes which blocked off half of the sleeping area, so that they could treat themselves to bottom bunks.

I see from your profile that you are planning to start on September 2! Where will you start, and what route, and do you intend to pursue your research in person along the Camino?
I arrive in SJPdP on the 2nd, and will set off (with wife) at 8am on the 3rd - to Roncesvalles.

I do not expect to pursue any research into the Templiers/Hospitaliers during the walk, but will keep my eyes open.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
2015 at the Refugio de Montaña in Manjarin (Tomás' place) an outdoor platform across the road with a hole cut into it. Here's a 2019 StreetView. Looks improved to me.
View attachment 154943
😅🤣🤣🤣 Aside from the toilets, I think there were about 5 dogs all scratching madly. The owner was really lovely guy however I stopped to look in and ran!

I only had two experiences where there were no toilet seats. One of them I left and went across the street to another albergue

I arrive in SJPdP on the 2nd, and will set off (with wife) at 8am on the 3rd - to Roncesvalles.

I do not expect to pursue any research into the Templiers/Hospitaliers during the walk, but will keep my eyes open.
@Crosbie , I truly wish your wife and yourself a wonderful Camino experience. My Camino Frances was begun in Roncesvalles in 2006, so a very long time ago pilgrim wise, although not in true Camino history!
My walking companion and I had a budget for the cheapest possible camino. We banked two hotels and rest days. They still await us! With a pair of people, there should be no problem with sorting privacy or security issues, so perhaps that might be consoling for your wife.
Times have changed, and 2006 is long ago, so no doubt the scene is different today.
As I have said earlier somewhere, do tell us all how it all works out.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Crosbie , I truly wish your wife and yourself a wonderful Camino experience. My Camino Frances was begun in Roncesvalles in 2006, so a very long time ago pilgrim wise, although not in true Camino history!
My walking companion and I had a budget for the cheapest possible camino. We banked two hotels and rest days. They still await us! With a pair of people, there should be no problem with sorting privacy or security issues, so perhaps that might be consoling for your wife.
Times have changed, and 2006 is long ago, so no doubt the scene is different today.
As I have said earlier somewhere, do tell us all how it all works out.
Well thanks very much.

We have no worries, but are just curious as to what to expect, and thus what to pack, e.g. toilet roll. There is plenty of discussion regarding dorm beds and snoring, etc., but not much on the matter of dorm toilets, or dorm washing of bodies & clothes.

We have no worries, but are just curious as to what to expect, and thus what to pack, e.g. toilet roll. There is plenty of discussion regarding dorm beds and snoring, etc., but not much on the matter of dorm toilets, or dorm washing of bodies & clothes.
You should always have some toilet paper because you never know when you will encounter a toilet without any. It's usually not because it's not provided, but because someone else has used it all. It could happen in an albergue, bar or restaurant.

As far as the rest of it goes, there is no standard that you will encounter at every albergue.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well thanks very much.

Good to see your response. My walking companion is from Pamplona, and so she brought her own background experience to what we took with us for personal hygiene. The picture attached shows a soap which is named differently across the country depending on the brand. It is old fashioned, and is useful for bodies and hair and clothes. It can be bought in many supermarkets in the North of Spain. It is a most useful gift, I always buy two or three, as my friends at home have learned how good it is for stain removal. Natural, to the best of my knowledge. I mean, not laced with chemicals...
IMG_4774.jpeg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well thanks very much.

I generally bring enough toilet paper to last a few occasions when it might be needed. On my approx 1000 km of Caminos this June and July, there was precisely one such occasion. But I was happy to have it then.

Most dorms have much the same toilets as you would find in any other public toilets in Spain, where toilet seats are common. Washing of bodies is generally done in showers, which are most often in individual cubicles. Sometimes (but rarely) they are grouped, and in those cases you can count on them being segregated by gender. You can generally count on albergues having provision for hand washing clothes and a space to hang them to dry. Some albergues have washing machines and dryers, for which there is generally an additional charge.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.