• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bed bugs in March

FernandoBCA

Time of past OR future Camino
(2014)
A few days ago I stayed in the Albergue in Azofra: nice place, good ambiance, helpful hospitaleiros, etc. I enjoyed especially the 2-person-per-room arrangement. Unfortunately, I was bitten during the night. I didn't report it immediately because at first I didn't relate it to bed bugs, which I wasn'texpecting to find this early in the year. However, having returned home (I could only make it to Burgos) a doctor confirmed the pattern of bed bug bites. I must therefore share the warning with all concerned.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It is a good precaution to treat every place as though it has bed bugs. They are there all year around. As the weather warms, they become more active, but the eggs survive the winter.:)
I know that I will be sleeping on top of my sleeping bag, pretreated for bed bugs, Any thing else? sure we bring spray?
Thank you Falcon. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I know that I will be sleeping on top of my sleeping bag, pretreated for bed bugs, Any thing else? sure we bring spray?
Sleep in your sleeping bag; bed bugs go first for exposed skin, so if there is none, they may head elsewhere. I don't take spray with me. With my sleeping bag and pack pre-treated, I have never seen the benefit of taking the spray. I don't think it is fair to hospitaleros to add chemicals to their property. If you see bed bugs, tell the owner, and go elsewhere (if you are bothered by it). If a place has bed bugs, you need to spray them directly. The most you will hit are the ones you see, so unless you plan to stay up all night spraying, you cannot kill them all. You may kill a dozen, but another hundred are waiting for you to go to sleep! Rely on the treatment to be the best protection you can get. I cannot imagine that you would like to be breathing the air as your neighbor sprays for bed bugs. Wet permethrin is the most danger to humans, so it is hard to treat space and let it dry in an albergue. If multiple pilgrims sprayed each day for the summer season, an albergue would become so toxic that it would be dangerous. The Red Cross building in Washington, DC had to close its basement. Someone tested it after years of rat poison treatments, and the accumulation of poison made the entire floor unsafe for humans. The Red Cross was saving flood victims, but poisoning its employees!

When you get home, put your pack into a large plastic bag, add permethrin spray, and let it sit for a day. Permethrin is a better insecticide than repellent, so it will do a good job of killing any live hitchhikers. Wash clothes and washable equipment in very hot water to kill any eggs you may have brought home. Spray your pack inside and out with permethrin, and put it in an isolated area inside the plastic bag. Bed bugs need food, so keep them away from a food supply (you and your pets).

A few days ago I stayed in the Albergue in Azofra: nice place, good ambiance, helpful hospitaleiros, etc. I enjoyed especially the 2-person-per-room arrangement. Unfortunately, I was bitten during the night. I didn't report it immediately because at first I didn't relate it to bed bugs, which I wasn'texpecting to find this early in the year. However, having returned home (I could only make it to Burgos) a doctor confirmed the pattern of bed bug bites. I must therefore share the warning with all concerned.
Thank you.

I have chemical sensitivities and probably would react to permithrin. I don't really want to take the chance. I was hoping to walk in late spring to avoid the problem. Not liking hearing that cold does not kill them.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Hi
I must say that i was not even thinking of bed bugs until recently. Will you try the camino again?

I've never heard of anyone having problems with permethrin once it has dried.

I have chemical sensitivities and probably would react to permithrin. I don't really want to take the chance. I was hoping to walk in late spring to avoid the problem. Not liking hearing that cold does not kill them.
Don't really like the idea of introducing a chemicals into others space let along mine . Have hear they don't like tea tree oil mixed with coconut oil .The permithrin is not available in Canada and for good reason I think . Have a bug free camino would be great. Interested in others solution to the problem other than chemical warfare .

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Not liking hearing that cold does not kill them.

Cold does kill them, just not cool temperatures. Items I can not wash when I return home are put in a plastic bag and thrown in the freezer for 3 weeks.

Hi
I must say that i was not even thinking of bed bugs until recently. Will you try the camino again?
Of course I'll return, only a bit more aware of the problem. In fact, I was only bitten in my hands and neck - the rest was well protected by my sleeping bag, so I guess it's true the bed bugs only go for exposed parts of the body.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Be careful with the Blankets on Albergues!

Last September we stayed in a nice private albergue, it was cold, and 2 guys from our group used the blankets that the hospitalero was offering for that night.

Next morning the 2 guys that used the blankets were bitten by bed bugs. too bad!

The albergue looks really clean and nice, you never know when you will encounter bed bags.

I personally sprayed all my gear with Permethrin and worked very well for me, no bed bags, no mosquitoes or anything like that. I recommend permetrhin, you can buy it on Amazon.

Next morning the 2 guys that used the blankets were bitten by bed bugs.
Post hoc, ergo sum hoc. A common fallacy that one. Bed bugs generally reside in bed frames and the wall. While it is possible that some got caught up in a blanket, it is much more likely that they did not come from the blanket. Blankets may not be particularly clean; pilgrims sleep on them in full clothes and boots; they have saliva and sweat on them; other pilgrims may spray them as part of a bed bug routine; and they can spend a fair amount of time on a dirty floor during a hot summer. Use blankets when you need them, but use them with fairly low hygiene expectations.;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello moderators, is there anyway to meld this thread with the other similar thread du jour about bed bugs. There is a lot of good information as well as some bad misinformation floating around out there.

Be careful with the Blankets on Albergues!

Last September we stayed in a nice private albergue, it was cold, and 2 guys from our group used the blankets that the hospitalero was offering for that night.

Next morning the 2 guys that used the blankets were bitten by bed bugs. too bad!

The albergue looks really clean and nice, you never know when you will encounter bed bags.

I personally sprayed all my gear with Permethrin and worked very well for me, no bed bags, no mosquitoes or anything like that. I recommend permetrhin, you can buy it on Amazon.
Hi I tried to find Permethrin in the insect dept at our local Canadian Tire .There where sprays for bed bugs but could not find this one . Can anyone give advice ? There was a lady on this tread that said it was available at Canadian Tire

That is not correct - Permethrin is available in Canada - among the bug sprays at Canadian Tire and other stores.
Hi again could not find permethrin at our local Canadian Tire store .They have sprays for bed bugs but not this .Is this a product name or a chemical ingredient in the spray . Sorry to BUG you lol.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The permithrin is not available in Canada and for good reason I think . Have a bug free camino would be great. Interested in others solution to the problem other than chemical warfare .
Well apparently it is now available, just saw it in a camping/sports supply store.
Hi I tried to find Permethrin in the insect dept at our local Canadian Tire .There where sprays for bed bugs but could not find this one . Can anyone give advice ? There was a lady on this tread that said it was available at Canadian Tire
Go to your local exterminator. This being said, they will sell you a large quantity and tell you they are not supposed to sell it to spray on clothese, bedding, etc.

Well apparently it is now available, just saw it in a camping/sports supply store.

Go to your local exterminator. This being said, they will sell you a large quantity and tell you they are not supposed to sell it to spray on clothese, bedding, etc.
Not liking it too much when a professional who handles the chemical all the time tells you not to do something and you go and do it .There has to be a better way to ward off unwanted bed bugs .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As requested I have moved this thread over to the bed bug category

But it seems that there isn't. Wishing doesn't make it so! :( (I'm not advocating excessive use of pesticides. I prefer isolating my pack, acceptance and heat treatment. )
Tea tree oil .I have tried it but it stains material as all oil will . Have to maybe water it down some . Never say never .

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Not liking it too much when a professional who handles the chemical all the time tells you not to do something and you go and do it .There has to be a better way to ward off unwanted bed bugs .

Hey Blades! This is the product I'm talking about http://amzn.to/1IK8PlT
I think Amazon ships all over the world.
I love it, easy to apply also.

Here is a video explaining how it works and how to apply it:

Hey Blades! This is the product I'm talking about http://amzn.to/1IK8PlT
I think Amazon ships all over the world.
I love it, easy to apply also.

Here is a video explaining how it works and how to apply it:
Thanks for the info .I tried amazon but they don't ship it to Canada .I will see if I can find some in France or Spain .That should be a good way to practice my interaction with people from these countries .My Spanish and french are both very bad . Buen camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for the info .I tried amazon but they don't ship it to Canada .I will see if I can find some in France or Spain .That should be a good way to practice my interaction with people from these countries .My Spanish and french are both very bad . Buen camino
Blades, just order it from the Canadian Amazon site if you want it.

Hey Blades!

Here is the link from Amazon.ca (Canada)

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B001ANQVYU/?tag=santiagodec0b-20

I hope it helps!
Diego

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
one more very good reason to bring a tent. I have dealt with bedbugs in my apartment and they are sneaky rascals. They lay eggs and the bugs themselves can lay dormant for years if not treated...and usually twice or three times for an outbreak. It creeps me out and again it means I am looking at bringing my tent. I had almost decided not to. sighs.

The most important thing for me is not to bring the little critters home and after having suffered a night of chemicals sprayed every few hours by a fellow pilgrim I am more than ever against those sprays applied by non-professionals. I suffered two asthma attacks because of "chemical overkill" on my Camino last year and I am not even officially asthmatic! SY

It is a pity that you didn't make the connection at the time, when you would have been able to let the hospitaleros know about the issue. Have you been able to get in touch with them since, and let them know which bed you occupied?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It is a pity that you didn't make the connection at the time, when you would have been able to let the hospitaleros know about the issue. Have you been able to get in touch with them since, and let them know which bed you occupied?
I did nothing then. I wasn't aware of the cause of the bites, and I imagined that bed bugs would be much more aggressive and bloody. After all, only my hands and wrists were bitten (I must have had my hands outside of the sleeping bag). Only a week later, on arriving home, did I get the knowledge that these were indeed bed-bug bites. Had I known it earlier, not only would I have warned the hospitaleros, but obviously I would have checked thoroughly my own gear, especially my sleeping bag and my backpack – which I did not do.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It's good to see that you are going to let the albergue know. They will now be able to treat the problem - we can only talk about it:mad:

Sleep in your sleeping bag; bed bugs go first for exposed skin, so if there is none, they may head elsewhere. I don't take spray with me. With my sleeping bag and pack pre-treated, I have never seen the benefit of taking the spray. I don't think it is fair to hospitaleros to add chemicals to their property. If you see bed bugs, tell the owner, and go elsewhere (if you are bothered by it). If a place has bed bugs, you need to spray them directly. The most you will hit are the ones you see, so unless you plan to stay up all night spraying, you cannot kill them all. You may kill a dozen, but another hundred are waiting for you to go to sleep! Rely on the treatment to be the best protection you can get. I cannot imagine that you would like to be breathing the air as your neighbor sprays for bed bugs. Wet permethrin is the most danger to humans, so it is hard to treat space and let it dry in an albergue. If multiple pilgrims sprayed each day for the summer season, an albergue would become so toxic that it would be dangerous. The Red Cross building in Washington, DC had to close its basement. Someone tested it after years of rat poison treatments, and the accumulation of poison made the entire floor unsafe for humans. The Red Cross was saving flood victims, but poisoning its employees!

When you get home, put your pack into a large plastic bag, add permethrin spray, and let it sit for a day. Permethrin is a better insecticide than repellent, so it will do a good job of killing any live hitchhikers. Wash clothes and washable equipment in very hot water to kill any eggs you may have brought home. Spray your pack inside and out with permethrin, and put it in an isolated area inside the plastic bag. Bed bugs need food, so keep them away from a food supply (you and your pets).

Hey I keep hearing about treating your sleeping bag, backpack, and a fitted sheet with permethrin where do I get this chemical I'm leaving June 3 for my first Camino?

Hey I keep hearing about treating your sleeping bag, backpack, and a fitted sheet with permethrin where do I get this chemical I'm leaving June 3 for my first Camino?
Ron, it would help to answer this if we know where you are from.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ron, it would help to answer this if we know where you are from.
Sorry Doug my first time posting also I live in Southern California.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you very much seems like I'm living in REI the last month or so. I have never seen this product or even dreamed they would have it. Lol sometimes the things you need are right under your nose.

Thank you for your time.
Ron

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.