• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best guide for reading before you go/taking with you??

caminoforme86

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances October 2013 - December 2013
Hi,

There seems to be so many guide books out there, I set off in just over one month and wondered what guide book most people find useful and the best. One that isn't too heavy if you decide to take it with you...

Many thanks
K

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yeah having looked at previous searches on guide books I see the John Brierley is a very popular choice with great reviews. Thanks falcon269

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It really depends on what information you want?

If you want the basic facts about the stages, the route and names and phone numbers of various pilgrim style accommodation, then Brierley's map book is lighter and probably the best thing to take.

If you want some additional information about some of the key landmarks and sights then his guidebook, though heavier, is a good choice especially for english speaking pilgrims.

If you want to go deeper into the history, geography, culture and/or cuisine then you might want to search Amazon for your favour book on your favour subject. If you are taking a kindle or ibook enabled device, then a look for a kindle or ibook version of the latter, and take this along with a guide.

I carried Brierley's guidebook, and would do so again. Whatever guidebook you do choose, remember that any internal breakdown into stages does not compel one to follow these exactly. Where you stay each night is a personal choice. Although I found Brierley's stages sensible, I found some gems of albergues by not sticking to his stages all the time.

Regards,

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Can I recommend that you have a look at www.guidetothecamino.com where a day by day published guide is now available as an e-book
You can, but you might also have pointed out that you appear to be the author, and then I wouldn't need to point out that a self recommendation might just lack the level of objectivity that other recommendations might have.

If you haven't done so already, why don't you list it in the resources section?

Regards,

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For me it would be the Michelin guide to the Camino de Santiago. The path is overlaid on a real map and it also has elevation charts and distances between towns. It's light, cheap and fits well into a cargo pocket, combine this with Ivars accomodation list above. Thats all you will need.

Would recommend Brierley's. Some tear out the pages they don't need before they go and also rip out pages they have completed. Amazing how much it lightens the book. Next time you go you'll probably purchase an updated one anyway.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Some tear out the pages they don't need before they go and also rip out pages they have completed. Amazing how much it lightens the book. Next time you go you'll probably purchase an updated one anyway.

I couldn't face ripping the pages out - as I quickly be came very attached to my Brierly guide having consulted it frequently over the trip - it's now a delightfully battered momento alongside my credential

As a preparation, I would recommend "Priez pour nous a Compostelle" by Barret/Gurgand, but am not sure if there is an English translation. It gives you the medieval/1970s perspective. On the go, the phone app guide "Camino" by Eroski consumers (in Spanish) does not weigh a thing and is excellent, wherever wifi available.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back