• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best historical guidebook??

Camino2014

Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
Piémont, Frances, Littoral, Norte, Ingles (completed) Baztan, St. Jaume, Portuguese (planned!)
Hello all,

I am unsure whether or not this has been asked previously, but there is no harm in asking again! :D

Anyway, I really want to be immersed in the culture around me while on my Camino next year, and knowing me, I would deeply regret just walking by a major historical area or landmark without realizing it.

So what guide book, regardless of weight, is the best/most in depth when it comes to cultural and historical notes? I have the Brierley guide so I don't need a book with a lot of maps or albergue listings. If I can find a historical/cultural guidebook, it would make my Camino feel much more complete and enriching.

Thanks! Buen camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Camino2014 said:
Hello all,

I am unsure whether or not this has been asked previously, but there is no harm in asking again! :D

Anyway, I really want to be immersed in the culture around me while on my Camino next year, and knowing me, I would deeply regret just walking by a major historical area or landmark without realizing it.

So what guide book, regardless of weight, is the best/most in depth when it comes to cultural and historical notes? I have the Brierley guide so I don't need a book with a lot of maps or albergue listings. If I can find a historical/cultural guidebook, it would make my Camino feel much more complete and enriching.

Thanks! Buen camino!

Camino2014,

The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago by David M. Gitilitz and Linda Kay Davidson is a comprehensive artistic and cultural guide to the historic patrimony found along the Camino Frances. It is available through Amazon. >>
http://www.amazon.com/Pilgrimage-Road-S ... 0312254164

For additional book choices see this informative recent Forum thread >> pilgrim-books/topic13974.html

Happy reading and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ditto Margaret and great news from the American Pilgrims newsletter!

"The classic guidebook The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: The
Complete Cultural Handbook is now available as an e-book,
making it available for an electronic tablet and some
phones. Although its primary subject matter is the history
of each area and its art and architecture, it also covers
geology, flora & fauna and provides useful reference guides
to the saints, a historic timeline, and an informative “Arts
of the Road” guide to architectural styles.
David M. Gitlitz & Linda Kay Davidson
The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: The Complete Cultural
Handbook
St.Martin’s Press, 2000."

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
CaminoJohn said:
Ditto Margaret and great news from the American Pilgrims newsletter!

"The classic guidebook The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: The
Complete Cultural Handbook is now available as an e-book,
making it available for an electronic tablet and some
phones. Although its primary subject matter is the history
of each area and its art and architecture, it also covers
geology, flora & fauna and provides useful reference guides
to the saints, a historic timeline, and an informative “Arts
of the Road” guide to architectural styles.
David M. Gitlitz & Linda Kay Davidson
The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago: The Complete Cultural
Handbook
St.Martin’s Press, 2000."

Thank you for this information, CaminoJohn!
I'll certainly be buying the e-book version, as carrying around such a large book is a bit of a scary thought!

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.