• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best length for walking poles

musicman

Ensuitepilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2004, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016,2017,2018
Hola,

What is the best length for walking poles?

Eg. Level with hips?
Level with elbow?

Many thanks for any advice.
Leaving Porto this Thursday,with groups
Of confraternity members

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
"Official" recommentation (originator Nordic Walking) is 0.70 x walker' s height. Never calculated myself but my forearm is at a 90 degree angle in relation to pole when placed straight in front of me.

There are various techniques but I find using them as if you were cross-country skiing the most efficient and comfortable.

LTfit said:
"Official" recommentation (originator Nordic Walking) is 0.70 x walker' s height. Never calculated myself but my forearm is at a 90 degree angle in relation to pole when placed straight in front of me.
Using 0.7xheight might be sound advice for nordic walking, but doesn't work for trekking. It results in the poles being at a substantial angle to the rear.

My poles are currently at about 0.6x my height, which results in the pole being vertical when my forearm is parallel to the ground.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Here are a couple of other resources, F.Y.I.
Black Diamond Z-Poles:
Using trekking poles:

Thank you for all the good information. I have always used the old, "elbow at 90 deg," rule. I have also discovered that if using a staff, or longpole, a natural grip lands about a hand width higher. A staff would be 5 ft or about 1.6 m or longer.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.