• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best "literage" for my ruck sac?

gagseymt

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2016
Can anyone give me advice on the ideal literage for my ruck sac. 5 weeks journey.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi there, last year I walked with a 36 litre rucksack - I deliberately chose a fairly small one to prevent me from taking too much - I managed very well with 36 litres and will be taking the same pack when I walk again this year :) Fully packed and including food it weighs in at about 6.5kg - plenty enough for an over 50, 5 feet 3 inches lady to be carrying for a long distance :)

I don't think there's a single ideal that fits all people. I was perfectly happy with 36L Osprey. I'm at 6'2 guy and met 5'3 women who loved her 48L pack.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Can anyone give me advice on the ideal literage for my ruck sac. 5 weeks journey.

There is no ideal literage. You want a backpack that is comfortable on you and has an overall packed weight of less than 10 kg.

Again, it is all about comfort and total packed weight, NOT capacity. The literage you choose will partially depend on the volume of YOUR gear.

It is easier to live out of a pack that isn't stuffed to the gills. You can always compress down extra space. And that extra space can carry food, water & vino as necessary.

I carry a 45 liter pack for everything from an overnight/weekender to 2 weeks in the backcountry, and I'll carry the same pack on my camino mext year.

My recommendation is that you start looking at packs that are in litres about half your walking weight in kg for summer. So my walking weight is about 85kg (I do so wish I could get down to it!) and I used a 45li pack this year. If I hadn't taken a sleeping bag, I could have used a 38li pack. Good outdoors stores will be happy to let you bring in your gear so that you can test different packs.

Regards,

Hi there, last year I walked with a 36 litre rucksack - I deliberately chose a fairly small one to prevent me from taking too much - I managed very well with 36 litres and will be taking the same pack when I walk again this year :) Fully packed and including food it weighs in at about 6.5kg - plenty enough for an over 50, 5 feet 3 inches lady to be carrying for a long distance :)

I am 6 foot 1, or in Europe 186 cms. I weighed in at 232 at the start of the Camino. I carried a 45 liter Arcteryx Kea that weighed in fully packed with my stuff at 14.5 at the airport. By the time the Camino was over, my pack weighed 9.4 and I had lost 15 pounds myself.

Looking back, I would love to have had nothing more than a 35 liter pack. I envied the guys that had them. They definitely showed experience in what to bring and how to pack it. If I did it all over again, I will get another pack, just not sure which one, but probably one that is not as streamlined as my Kea, around 35 liters, and which has more external pockets for those "this and that" items you need for whenever. Just make sure the pack you do get has room for an internal water bladder that will allow you to feed a hydration tube through it and along your carrying strap. You won't believe how nice that will be to have that on those hot days moving out. Much better than playing with bottles.

You can look below at my signature and see the pack I was carrying. Nice pack, but much more than I really needed for the Camino. I could easily have done with less, and more comfortably.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I had a 36 liter last year when I did the Camino in late Sept to the end of Oct. It was a tight squeeze to get everything in because of the sleeping bag and a few clothing items for cooler weather. The 36 liter would have been fine for a summer Camino. This fall I am back for Camino 2 with a 48 liter backpack.

I had a 36 liter last year when I did the Camino in late Sept to the end of Oct. It was a tight squeeze to get everything in because of the sleeping bag and a few clothing items for cooler weather. The 36 liter would have been fine for a summer Camino. This fall I am back for Camino 2 with a 48 liter backpack.
I'm also walking sept/oct. I bought and tested at 36L but with sleeping bag and warm jacket, hat, gloves etc it was just too stuffed....no room for daily snacks. So I returned it and got 46L, I think it's going to be perfect!

When we walked in 2012 my brother had a 36L pack but it was stuffed to capacity and he had to hang his sandals outside. I brought a 40 L pack and had loads of space even for food and I could have done with a few items less if I really tried.
40L is a good size pack IMO as you may be tempted to carry more with the bigger packs, I am a 6' 4" male.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Most people seem to be ok with a pack that takes around 40L (+/- 10L as you can see from the comments above).

Backpacks are expensive so I think it's worth considering "after use", too.

In warmer months you might find that you need less volume, whereas in colder months you'll need more to fit bulkier clothing in. I find that the weight stay's similar as I carry less water when it's cold.

Whilst a larger pack means that there might be temptation to put more in - it does not mean you have to give in to temptation;) An Osprey Kestrel 48L is about 200g heavier than a Kestrel38L. If this was to be my main pack, I'd go for the 48L as it would give me more options for future walks (they might happen), others would rather save themselves the 200g extra weight.
Also - not all packs are the same. Depending on design you might be able to fit more into a 36L pack than a 40L pack. Main thing is that you're comfortable with the pack.

I have bought for my (still mythical!) CdF next April/May/June 2015 an Aarn Marathon Magic 33L and a pair of PacerPoles.
I have a bad back (osteopenic) and intend to travel VERY light with, initially, just one change of clothes.
Anything I then find I need I will buy en route; anything I find superfluous I will either donate or post home.

I had a 32l pack, which worked very well for me. I walked in March and April, so needed warm clothes, but I used compression dry sacks. Everything fit perfectly. I had 3 bags in my pack: my bedding bag, my clothing bag, and a packing cube for everything else. It was really easy to find what I was looking for. The top pocket I left empty for snacks and food.

My dad carried a 60l pack. It had a lot of empty space in it. For his next camino, he plans on downsizing to a 40l pack.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am 6 foot 1, or in Europe 186 cms. I weighed in at 232 at the start of the Camino. I carried a 45 liter Arcteryx Kea that weighed in fully packed with my stuff at 14.5 at the airport. By the time the Camino was over, my pack weighed 9.4 and I had lost 15 pounds myself.

Looking back, I would love to have had nothing more than a 35 liter pack. I envied the guys that had them. They definitely showed experience in what to bring and how to pack it. If I did it all over again, I will get another pack, just not sure which one, but probably one that is not as streamlined as my Kea, around 35 liters, and which has more external pockets for those "this and that" items you need for whenever. Just make sure the pack you do get has room for an internal water bladder that will allow you to feed a hydration tube through it and along your carrying strap. You won't believe how nice that will be to have that on those hot days moving out. Much better than playing with bottles.

You can look below at my signature and see the pack I was carrying. Nice pack, but much more than I really needed for the Camino. I could easily have done with less, and more comfortably.
Are you saying you started with your pack weighing 6% of your body mass (14.5lb/232lb) and found that too heavy?

Thanks for all the advice I think my next purchase will be a 40/45 Ltr Suck Sac. As the one I have used for many years in the Lake District is 75Ltr

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I'd suggest 50 - 60 liters. There is a significant weight-of-pack increase if you go larger. There is not much to gain going smaller because most of the pack weight at this point is internal frame and hip belt.

The temptation of a larger pack is to fill it. However, the risk with a smaller pack is straining the zippers and the seams, particularly when you add lunch and water. I find I don't like freshly squeezed banana.

I leave on Thursday and I am using a Berghaus Freeflow 35 litre plus 8 and I have got loads of room left and it weighs all up 9 Kilos,I have been doing a lot of hill walking training for The Camino and I have found it very manageable

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I would love to see your packing list. Is it possible for you to send that to me?

Hola

It really depends on the season you are planning to walk.
Spring,summer, fall = less items, fewer heavy items
Winter = warmer heavier cloth, sleeping bag and so on.
Are you walking alone?
If you are planning to have company, a distribution of weight is a positive option.
Many factors are in play when we discuss what to bring and such.
Of the numerous threads there are on this site addressing the issue, I think the best advice I have read is:
whatever backpack with whatever amount of weight you try on before leaving -> if it feels good for you, then go with it.
Only you know your capabilities and needs.

Basic rule; bring only what you know you will need, and not what you think you may need.
When a need shows itself along the way, there are daily options to acquire what you need.

Have a great time planning. Your camino has already started.

Lettinggo

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
First thing to forget about things like specific liters and weights. Go to an outdoor store and find 2 or 3 packs that fit you. But don't buy just yet. Next, assemble the gear you want to take. Head back to the store with your gear and see how it fits in your pack. Some stores have weights that they will put in the bag, but you really should test it with your personal gear to see how it actually fits. Then see how it feels to wear it. Walk around the store for an hour. (Bonus if they have stairs!) If everything fits and it feels good, you're done!

The problem I ran into was that I took the advice that you don't need more than a 50 liter pack. I purchased a 48 liter pack. It was a good fit, but I needed to use compression sacks to fit everything inside. I would have killed for 5 more liters, just to have a bit of extra room to position everything correctly.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Are you saying you started with your pack weighing 6% of your body mass (14.5lb/232lb) and found that too heavy?

Thanks for bringing that up. I get confused sometimes between the States and overseas. I started out with a pack that weighed in at the airport in Stockholm at 14.5 kg (32 pounds) and ended up leaving the airport at Santiago with it weighing in at 9.4 kg (20.7 pounds). I was also too heavy personally and it was good to lose that extra weight. I fell from 105 kg (232 pounds) to 93 kg ( 205 pounds). Also, it wasn't so much that the pack was too heavy, I just brought stuff I didn't really need, and the pack could have been smaller.

Last edited:
In 2012, I used a 35+10 Deuter that I bought in Leon in the store where I stashed my bike. I could have used a compression sack for my sleeping bag but other than that, it was a great weight and fit. I don't know how much weight I was carrying but it was much lighter than the pack I carry in the back country. And there was nothing I did not use and nothing I did not have that I needed.
I am going back to Spain this August and I am considering 2 extra items. My camp stove and a very small, light tent. I'm on a much tighter budget and I want to walk at my own pace. I am going to walk the Tunnel route to the Frances. On to Leon and then up to the Primativo. I think I can get a bus up that way.
Then again, maybe I'll ride. I'll decide a day or 2 before I leave... I'm not a big planner... LOL!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Depends a bit on the season you are walking in. Also, if you are from further afield and are storing things for another of your journey in Europe, you need to consider that.
Margaret

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.