• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best material for shirts

MargLav

Time of past OR future Camino
September - October 2016 Camino Frances
Packing time is getting serious - 2 weeks to go for a September/October Camino Frances. I have options for my shirts and would appreciate advice about the best ones to take (without buying anything extra) - I have at my disposal -
Merino - 1 short sleeve; 1 long sleeve
Kathmandu Quick Dry - 1 short sleeve, 1 long sleeve - These are 72% polyester; 14% nylon; 13% cotton and 1% Elastine.

I also have several running t-shirts - "dri-fit" type material - I have cut tags off but I think they are very much polyester type shirts. Everything is very light weight.

Kathmandu Quick Dry seem to weigh a bit more.

Any advice? I'm already getting to understand that Merino is very forgiving from a smelly perspective; running t-shirts not so forgiving.

Also - given September/October - I was wondering whether I should buy a long sleeve sun shirt (like fishing shirts) for sun protection rather than lathering in sunscreen. Alternatively, will I survive on a 25 degree (C) day in a long sleeve merino shirt? I haven't been able to test this because we are in Queensland winter and I walk in the mornings. By the way, I do not enjoy getting hot - my favourite walking weather is definitely below 20 degrees. I think I underestimated just how hot it can still be in September across Spain.

Thanks in advance - again!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello Marg,

I'm traveling a few weeks after you in October. This is my first Caminio

I agree with your material selection. I'm planning Merino Wool from Icebreaker, MEC or Taiga (Canadian brands). My plan is three merino wool underpants and socks, two changes of hiking attire, plus one evening shirt, a long sleeve fleece, and rain shell. Toque (hat) and gloves also an option. Keep it simple and lightweight.

Merino wool, or technical wool seems to be ideal for the Camino.

Wishing you beautiful trek,

Craig

Are you planning to take anything additional for sleeping or for warmth in the evenings? Rain jacket or poncho? You need enough thin layers to provide warmth when necessary, and that can include your sleeping and rain wear. But you also want the layers light enough to combine for other conditions. The long sleeve sun shirt might be a good idea for you.
  1. Pick a preferred walking outfit that allows you to start in a cool morning but be comfortable as it warms up (i.e. 2 layers).
  2. Add the extra layers needed for walking in very chilly or rainy conditions.
  3. Decide what you will normally sleep in (planning to add other layers if it is cold). That sleeping outfit plus a warm layer will be your evening wear, and you should make sure that it is kept dry during the day so it will be available for the night.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The pattern I have found successful in Apr/May/Jun is to have a short-sleeved wool blend knit as a base layer. with a long sleeved woven polyester/nylon blend shirt as a mid/outer layer. If it is cold, I have a light fleece, or I can use my rain jacket if it is windy. I take two the base and middle layers - one to wear and one in my pack.

I would then only need sunscreen on my face and neck.

It appears you have enough to do this without buying any extras, but who am I to stop someone shopping!

Merino is forgiving when it comes to smell but takes longer to dry and I find it itchy. So I prefer to have 2 symthetic quick dry Ts and 1 Merino long sleeve, only worn if needed. I also carry a light fleece (polartec, synthetic) and rain gear.

Cclealry mentioned sleeping wear: I use leggings that can also be used in the evening or with my rain pants. Top is the Merino.

And ues, you can wear your long sleeve Merino as sun protection but an umbrella is even better.

Long sleeve white cotton shirt with a collar is best.

You roll the sleeves down and the collar up to protect from sun. You open the buttons to let air circulate.

If you get cold put on a sweater over the shirt ... and you have air trapped between the shirt and the sweater for additional warmth.

Easy to clean ... just rinse it out once daily.

Looks neat at place like bars and churches.

The bonus is there will be utility when the camino is over.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Are you planning to take anything additional for sleeping or for warmth in the evenings? Rain jacket or poncho? You need enough thin layers to provide warmth when necessary, and that can include your sleeping and rain wear. But you also want the layers light enough to combine for other conditions. The long sleeve sun shirt might be a good idea for you.
  1. Pick a preferred walking outfit that allows you to start in a cool morning but be comfortable as it warms up (i.e. 2 layers).
  2. Add the extra layers needed for walking in very chilly or rainy conditions.
  3. Decide what you will normally sleep in (planning to add other layers if it is cold). That sleeping outfit plus a warm layer will be your evening wear, and you should make sure that it is kept dry during the day so it will be available for the night.
Hi Cclearly...thanks to my personal middle-aged heating system, I don't use much sleeping attire - maybe a singlet and pj shorts for shared accommodation. I guess I would use my day clothes if it gets too cold in bed - I do have a silk sleeping liner and lightweight sleeping bag. I am taking a lightweight rain jacket and also have a light fleece jacket. I'm realising just how little I can take to keep at 10% body weight (about 7kg for me). Do you think 1 short & 1 long sleeve merino, 1 short & 1 long sleeve quick dry plus the fleece and rain jacket is too much? I have 1 pair long walking pants and 1 pair zip off pants and a skort. Whatever I don't wear during the day will be my night wear I guess?? Thanks again.

You roll the sleeves down and the collar up to protect from sun. You open the buttons to let air circulate.

If you get cold put on a sweater over the shirt ... and you have air trapped between the shirt and the sweater for additional warmth.

Thanks whariwharangi....I agree that a loose, light long sleeve shirt is preferable to lots of sunscreen and serves dual purpose. Depending on my total weight something might have to give.. still working on a few packing items and then I can do a test weigh.

Merino is forgiving when it comes to smell but takes longer to dry and I find it itchy. So I prefer to have 2 symthetic quick dry Ts and 1 Merino long sleeve, only worn if needed. I also carry a light fleece (polartec, synthetic) and rain gear.

Cclealry mentioned sleeping wear: I use leggings that can also be used in the evening or with my rain pants. Top is the Merino.

And ues, you can wear your long sleeve Merino as sun protection but an umbrella is even better.
Thanks Anemone del Camino - I seem to be coping OK with the Merino for walking - I've managed to wear the same shirt for quite a few days before needing a wash - but think I'd find it itchy for sleeping - will need to do a test run at home :). I was wondering whether leggings would be OK for nightwear - if it's not too cold.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The pattern I have found successful in Apr/May/Jun is to have a short-sleeved wool blend knit as a base layer. with a long sleeved woven polyester/nylon blend shirt as a mid/outer layer. If it is cold, I have a light fleece, or I can use my rain jacket if it is windy. I take two the base and middle layers - one to wear and one in my pack.

I would then only need sunscreen on my face and neck.

It appears you have enough to do this without buying any extras, but who am I to stop someone shopping!
Haha Doug...yes I've been keeping the hiking shops in business for some time already! Aiming for 7kgs means I can't take everything I've bought though. Started reading the forum too late:(

Hello Marg,

I'm traveling a few weeks after you in October. This is my first Caminio

I agree with your material selection. I'm planning Merino Wool from Icebreaker, MEC or Taiga (Canadian brands). My plan is three merino wool underpants and socks, two changes of hiking attire, plus one evening shirt, a long sleeve fleece, and rain shell. Toque (hat) and gloves also an option. Keep it simple and lightweight.

Merino wool, or technical wool seems to be ideal for the Camino.

Wishing you beautiful trek,

Craig
Thanks Craig...best wishes for you too. Getting very excited now. All this planning...just want to start walking now:)

Hi Cclearly...thanks to my personal middle-aged heating system, I don't use much sleeping attire - maybe a singlet and pj shorts for shared accommodation. I guess I would use my day clothes if it gets too cold in bed - I do have a silk sleeping liner and lightweight sleeping bag. I am taking a lightweight rain jacket and also have a light fleece jacket. I'm realising just how little I can take to keep at 10% body weight (about 7kg for me). Do you think 1 short & 1 long sleeve merino, 1 short & 1 long sleeve quick dry plus the fleece and rain jacket is too much? I have 1 pair long walking pants and 1 pair zip off pants and a skort. Whatever I don't wear during the day will be my night wear I guess?? Thanks again.

I usually take 2 long sleeve shirts hiking. One to hike in, the other for evening wear ... you have to get out of the sweaty stuff and rinse it. I wear shorts and have a long pair for evening wear. I carry two fleece, a fleece cap, and light wool gloves. You don't really need more.

On the camino I carried an extra shirt and long pant. It meant more days between laundry, which was an issue because weather was too cool to dry stuff outside.

You likely won't need warm gear during the day. You will generate a lot of heat walking, particularly with a pack. Perhaps the fleece on cool mornings. I used a scarf over my shoulders under the fleece on the frosty ones.

Its a mistake to rely on warm clothing in a sleeping bag. The bulky clothing displaces the warm air that the bag is supposed to trap.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I seem to be coping OK with the Merino for walking - I've managed to wear the same shirt for quite a few days before needing a wash - but think I'd find it itchy for sleeping -
@MargLav
I didn't wear merino as nightwear for my October/November camino last year, but rather a very lightweight cotton t shirt and skimpy shorts in warmer weather, tights in cooler. I think that I shall layer my t shirt with a merino top on cooler nights in my September/October camino this year, now that I have acquired a lighter sleeping bag. You can keep your pack weight down by taking a lightweight sleeping bag and layering for day and night wear, as the weather is quite variable in September/October. It is definitely a good idea to try out clothing/ sleeping gear combinations before you leave.

Do you think 1 short & 1 long sleeve merino, 1 short & 1 long sleeve quick dry plus the fleece and rain jacket is too much?
That is 4 shirts plus fleece and rain jacket. Maybe more than you need, especially if you have different sleep wear. You will likely only wear 1 t-shirt at a time, so why take 2 if you aren't planning to wear one to bed? Same for long sleeve shirts, since you do have a fleece.

That is 4 shirts plus fleece and rain jacket. Maybe more than you need, especially if you have different sleep wear. You will likely only wear 1 t-shirt at a time, so why take 2 if you aren't planning to wear one to bed? Same for long sleeve shirts, since you do have a fleece.
Great advice..I'll do a test weigh of everything shortly...it all adds up.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I use quick dry synthetic t-shirts and a columbia omnishade shirt. And a cotton t-shirt to sleep.

If you are worried about smelling, don't sleep with the same garment you're going to walk. Anyway, you're going to smell and you're going to get used to smelling. After a couple of days walking you'll see how smelling will be the last thing you care about.

You are going to sweat, that makes cotton the worst fibre, heavy and rough. I'm not into wool either. I prefer synthetic and technical garments, the lightest and the more confortable.

Anyway, you will find many shops along the way where you'll find what you need if what you carry is not the best for you.

I, too, am off in three weeks for my first Camino, also have one of those middle-aged heating systems and really don't like being hot either. Kicking and screaming, I agreed to give up my lathering of sunscreen in lieu of long sleeved shirts. I was pleasantly surprised at how cool Merino wool is. If you get a shirt that's 80-90% wool and the rest nylon or other synthetic, it's not itchy. I like the Icebreakers. I also realized how heavy it would be to carry as much sunblock as I'm accustomed to using.

I've also fallen in love with walking in a skirt! It's free and cool and when I have to pee, which is frequently, it's so much easier than if I'm in shorts or pants, especially if I'm not going to take off my pack.

Merino wool is hard to beat and I differ a little in opinion of how fast it dries. I think it dries quickly, maybe not as fast as synthetics but still fast enough to be ready by morning or even before bed if washed and hung in the afternoon. Most of my merino is 100, 150 or 200 weight and that may be the reason for the fast drying aspect. The only problem with wool is it's intolerance to heat and if you encounter bedbugs that's about your only remedy on the walk....high heat. Of course, the same is true for down.

One other suggestion about warmth is a neck gaiter. I carry a synthetic gaiter that I can use as intended...around my neck ...or pulled over my head like a sleeping cap. It weighs almost nothing and getting your neck and head warm goes a long ways towards keeping the rest of your body warm, plus it's easy to put on and take off.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walk in a mix of wool/silk 120 g/sqm, long sleeves and high neck for sun protection with a long zipper in the front for ventilation. I don't get hot in it in the summer and in the winter it is a great layer 1. Sleeved kan be rolled up it it is hot or kept down for sun protection. Houdini Airborn Zip.

@MargLav you could pop into your local ‘op shop’ and pickup a lightweight pure silk shirt to wear for sunscreen/afternoon walks/sleep layer. Super light, easy to wash and you toss it when you’re finished the camino (because you WILL need extra pack space to buy some of those lovely Spanish shoes in Santiago ;););))

@MargLav you could pop into your local ‘op shop’ and pickup a lightweight pure silk shirt to wear for sunscreen/afternoon walks/sleep layer. Super light, easy to wash and you toss it when you’re finished the camino (because you WILL need extra pack space to buy some of those lovely Spanish shoes in Santiago ;););))
Haha...I like the way you think:)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walk in a mix of wool/silk 120 g/sqm, long sleeves and high neck for sun protection with a long zipper in the front for ventilation. I don't get hot in it in the summer and in the winter it is a great layer 1. Sleeved kan be rolled up it it is hot or kept down for sun protection. Houdini Airborn Zip.
Looks great Beatrice...maybe I'll keep an eye out for future trips....just can't spend another cent this time! I have walked in my long sleeve merino in warm weather (i.e. 22 degrees) but not sure hope I'd cope if it got into the high 20's. Time will tell soon enough :cool:

I have walked in my long sleeve merino in warm weather (i.e. 22 degrees) but not sure hope I'd cope if it got into the high 20's. Time will tell soon enough :cool:
I survived 38 degrees my first day between Bayonne and Irún (41 km).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I, too, am off in three weeks for my first Camino, also have one of those middle-aged heating systems and really don't like being hot either. Kicking and screaming, I agreed to give up my lathering of sunscreen in lieu of long sleeved shirts. I was pleasantly surprised at how cool Merino wool is. If you get a shirt that's 80-90% wool and the rest nylon or other synthetic, it's not itchy. I like the Icebreakers. I also realized how heavy it would be to carry as much sunblock as I'm accustomed to using.

I've also fallen in love with walking in a skirt! It's free and cool and when I have to pee, which is frequently, it's so much easier than if I'm in shorts or pants, especially if I'm not going to take off my pack.
What a great comment about the skirt.....I have come VERY close to wetting myself getting all the gear off and undoing buttons and zips. You don't find thigh rubbing a problem??

I have a thermostat issue in the heat, however, I walked in an icebreaker 150 long sleeve, with no issue. I've got a skirt for my next Camino and plan to wear lightweight icebreaker leggins under - so no thigh issues. A skirt gives me a bit more privacy when needed :)

I agree if it is a sunny hot day polyster nylon quick dry shirts are are great for insulation on a cold temperate climate day but very heat retaining on a hot day because they are hydrophilic and prevent sweat evaporation at skin level .efforts to improve the water transmission of these fabrics are only that ;trying to increase the water attraction from a very low characteristic level.cotton most hydrophilic,wool next are what desert living people use for good cooling reasons. Cotton cools so efficiently that in cold ambient conditions it is too efficient to keep you warm and acrylic,polyester, nylon ,are more thermally insulating.winter Camino needs heat retaining even when wet nylon or polyester base layer.summer Camino needs cotton for high efficiency cooling .

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back