• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best transportation option Pamplona - Bayonne?

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I'm planning to walk with a small group of first time pilgrims from SJPdP to Pamplona in mid May, then I'll head up to Bayonne to walk the Norte solo. Rome2Rio lists several options including train, bus, and ride share (Blablacar) but the train option seems pretty convoluted. I tried to check the Alsa website, but I keep getting a 404 Error message.

I have the Alsa app, and have found the routing on the Alsa app, but I am thinking of trying Blablacar which I won't be able to book until a few days before I need the ride.

So my questions are - should I forget the train option because it seems to involve multiple changes? Is there a chance that I won't be able to get a bus ticket if I don't book it in advance?
I think that I'd like to try Blablacar, but I don't want to be stuck without anyway to get there if I can't get a bus ticket.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Take the bus to San Sebastion, then catch the Feve to Hendaye, then the train to Bayonne. Convoluted? Nah, the Feve runs often, as do trains from Hendaye to Bayonne.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Looks like a direct bus from Pamplona to Irun. Do you need to start in Bayonne?
Yes, I want to start in Bayonne. I started in Irun the last time, and I'd like to do something different, and I've read that the cathedral in Bayonne is very nice.

Take the bus to San Sebastion, then catch the Feve to Hendaye, then the train to Bayonne. Convoluted? Nah, the Feve runs often, as do trains from Hendaye to Bayonne.
I think that the train will take longer than the bus.

Do you have the Flixbus app? The bus takes about an hour and a half from San Sebastian to Bayonne - and when you arrive the bus station is just over the river from the cathedral.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I’d take a bus to Irun, walk across the border (to stretch the legs) and take a bus or a train to Bayonne. I can’t imagine why the buses would be full.

Yes, I want to start in Bayonne. I started in Irun the last time, and I'd like to do something different, and I've read that the cathedral in Bayonne is very nice.
Hi Terri. The cathedral and the town are well worth a visit. We are in Bayonne right now. As an aside to your transport question, yesterday we popped in to the Refuge de Saint Jaques - small and well maintained - and we were welcomed by some lovely volunteers. I haven’t stayed at Chez Veronique but have read good reports. We will stay in one or the other before beginning the Baztan in May.

Best wishes. 😎

Last edited by a moderator:
On the Alsa app it shows a complete journey to Bayonne with a transfer in San Sebastián. There's 1:25 transfer time, so enough time to eat lunch. Currently there are only about 3 seats reserved on the Pamplona - Bayonne leg, so I don't think that I need to worry about it filling up. But I think that it might be kind of fun (not to mention faster) to go with a local in a Blablacar.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
On the Alsa app it shows a complete journey to Bayonne with a transfer in San Sebastián. There's 1:25 transfer time, so enough time to eat lunch. Currently there are only about 3 seats reserved on the Pamplona - Bayonne leg, so I don't think that I need to worry about it filling up. But I think that it might be kind of fun (not to mention faster) to go with a local in a Blablacar.
That option sounds perfect. I didn’t search Pamplona through to Bayonne on the ALSA App so my info on transport is irrelevant, and has been deleted.

Hi trecile, I took the bus from Pamplona to Bayonne after I finished walking the Aragones in 2019. I didn't remember changing bus but it did stopped at a few places, and the stop at Bayonne is close to old town and the cathedral -- but it was just a stop at the street not a bus terminal (so be aware, but things could change)! Also the bus ticket would show "Bai'on" or something, I thought she sold me the wrong destination, but the kind lady at the Pamplona bus office assured me that it is Bayonne, just slightly different spelling in French!

I also stayed at Chez Veronique, very close to the cathedral Bayonne. Enjoyed walking to Biarritz but easy to get lost -- almost wind up in St Juan de Luz! and also took the local bus back, easy and enjoyable!

I took blablacar once in France, we were glad that the driver was so kind and speak English, enjoyable experience! They only stop at designated spot but good thing Bayonne is not big!

After couple days in Bayonne, I took the flixbus to Bordeaux for my flight home, but flixbus was late for three hours due to mechanical problem (they did texted me), the replacement bus was not even marked (and not texted me) -- I would have missed it if not for asking the bus driver!

Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Also the bus ticket would show "Bai'on" or something, I thought she sold me the wrong destination, but the kind lady at the Pamplona bus office assured me that it is Bayonne, just slightly different spelling in French!
Baiona is the Basque spelling for Bayonne in Gipuzcoa - like Donostia for San Sebastian!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back