• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best way to book or find the next days accomodation

Trekky63

Time of past OR future Camino
May 18 2023 Del Norte
Hey guys I’m doing the Camino del Norte starting in mid May. What is the best way to find or book accommodation for the next night?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wise Pilgrim is much the same perhaps more up to date. If language is a barrier for you, ask the hospitalero where you are spending the current night for a recommendation, normally they will be kind enough to make the call for you.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Wise Pilgrim is much the same perhaps more up to date. If language is a barrier for you, ask the hospitalero where you are spending the current night for a recommendation, normally they will be kind enough to make the call for you.
I endorse Don's suggestion about having the proprietor where you are staying today, call down the road to make or confirm your next reservation. I have done this many times over several Caminos. No one has ever said no.

As my Spanish was not up to asking for help until recently, I used to travel with a scripted series of questions that I could display in the onboard translator apps.

This said, Gronze is a excellent source - as are the Wise Pilgrim apps. I know the author of these apps (Wise Pilgrim) and know them to be constantly updated.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Gronze.com is my favorite... it lists the accommodations closest to the trail whereas using a traditional booking site may list all places in the city and many are not close to the trail. It also give you phone, email, phone number, websites, and booking .com links that the accommodation uses for allowing reservations. AND... it lists all the places that don't accept reservations too (which a booking site would not do).

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I endorse Don's suggestion about having the proprietor where you are staying today, call down the road to make or confirm your next reservation. I have done this many times over several Caminos. No one has ever said no.
Yes - they are usually willing to help you out - but I didn't find it necessary. I found email and WhatsApp communications generally sufficient when website and booking site reservations were not available. Once though - a Spanish lady I was walking with also made a reservation for me - so you could always ask another pilgrim if you need assistance too.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you can, call the day before directly to reserve a bed: Booking.com etc. are great, but they charge a heavy fee from the albergues/hostals, and bring no good to the national economy. IMHO. Apps like Wisepilgrim's have phone no.s to most of the places. I recommend his apps, for several reasons.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
Are supermercados or other grocery stores open on Sundays on del Norte? Are restaurants open? Specifically, I will likely find myself in these towns on Sundays: Castro-Urdiales, Comillas...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back