• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Between a rock...

SeanOB

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francès (2014)
I have procrastinated long enough. I'm going next summer but... there are serious limitations as to when I can go and I really could do with some reliable advice from those who know about these things.

By way of introduction to the forum, I'm forty-five, live in the NW of Ireland (the nice damp(er)) bit and work in an institution of third level education. I have wanted to do the Camino for about twenty years. I am not impulsive by nature.

Working in a college leaves me in the privileged position of being able to go away for a month or so during the summer, but from what I have read, that will bring its own set of problems for walking the Camino. I can be free for any five week period between Friday, 20th June and Sunday, 31st August, next year. When, do you think is the best time to go within those limits? (I know I'd rather go in May but that's not happening this side of retirement.) I'm planning on starting on the Spanish side of the Pyrenees (Roncevalles?) and ending at Santiago.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Sean

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sean:

Five weeks should be more than enough time. July/August is the busiest time. I would suggest you go as early as possible.

Slainte,
Joe

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello sean,

Welcome to the forum.

As you are not able to choose the best time to walk the camino. I strongly suggest you start your camino in june. Whatever you choose to start you are more or less hitting the high season for the camino frances. These are the time when the camino route is going to be very crowded. Obviously you can choose to walk the other caminos where it is not so crowded like the camino frances.

Whatever you do, good luck on your planning.

Buen camino and god bless.

Thanks for that, guys. I was opting for 20th June until I heard about the big feast day on 25th July and was afraid that there might be a rush on at that time especially after Sarría. I suppose the bottom line is, that there's no ideal time within that period so just go early and get started is the best job I could make of it.

I have procrastinated long enough. I'm going next summer but... there are serious limitations as to when I can go and I really could do with some reliable advice from those who know about these things.

By way of introduction to the forum, I'm forty-five, live in the NW of Ireland (the nice damp(er)) bit and work in an institution of third level education. I have wanted to do the Camino for about twenty years. I am not impulsive by nature.

Working in a college leaves me in the privileged position of being able to go away for a month or so during the summer, but from what I have read, that will bring its own set of problems for walking the Camino. I can be free for any five week period between Friday, 20th June and Sunday, 31st August, next year. When, do you think is the best time to go within those limits? (I know I'd rather go in May but that's not happening this side of retirement.) I'm planning on starting on the Spanish side of the Pyrenees (Roncevalles?) and ending at Santiago.

Sean
Then what about Friday June 20th through July 26th? From what I have heard, August can be brutal. But, check out the forum, you will find your answere!
Buen Camino!
Rosemary:)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Also, remember 2014 will be the 800 year anniversary that St. Francis walked the Camino.....wow, just think of it!

That's the kind of thing I'm afraid of - no beds for the last hundred miles! :)

I think I will avoid August and start making my plans for June/July now. Thanks, Rosemary.

You will have accommodation problems on St. James Day, so plan ahead with some reservations if you are in Santiago at about that time. The Camino will be busier after Sarria with pilgrims arriving on St. James Day, but there are a lot of beds in the last 100km. Be flexible, but do reserved for Santiago.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Are you set on doing the Frances? I walked the Norte this spring and despite the awful weather and the mud, had a brilliant time. It is much less crowded and easier to find a place to stay each night, and because of the coastal wind it will not be so hot at the time you have open for walking. There will be plenty of other pilgrims, but overall less footfall.

It depends on how long you want to walk. It took me exactly 5 weeks to go from SJPP to Finisterre, from August 14th to September 18th this year 900 km worth every meter.

Hi SeanOB

Welcome to the forum.

My advice is to take it easy, don´t rush it, enjoy the walk.........:)

Buen Camino!

It depends on how long you want to walk. It took me exactly 5 weeks to go from SJPP to Finisterre, from August 14th to September 18th this year 900 km worth every meter.
Hi Tita,
What did you do when you reached Finisterre? I am planning on five weeks to Finisterre then busing back to Santiago to then leave Madrid the next day back to the States?

Thanks!
Rosemary

I am beginning to think that it does not matter when we go! I arrived on the Camino in the snow and walked through mud puddles and road slides and cold and then hot! It worked perfectly. Ok, not overly crowded but plenty to deal with on the road.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Don't miss the walk from St Jean to Roncesvalles.
The landscape and views made this one of the highlights of the Camino Frances for me.
Find some other portion to miss.
Buen Camino
Gerard

The earliest the better! Because of people, weather, etc.
If it's possible start on San Juan pie de Port , is a hard journey but beautiful crossing the Pirineos.
All i can say is you are like and have plenty of time to do it.
Get some training and do no procrastinate any longer.

Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sean
My advice is based on no knowledge of your walking experience/hopes/fitness. If you start on 21st June (Sat) you could be finished in 28/30 days by 21st July which would get you just clear of the 100km crowd getting there for 25th. Often groups start stages at the weekends so if you can avoid a weekend start do. Camino Frances is a good one to start especially if you've dreamed of it for only 20yrs!. Camino Norte is good alternative but I wouldn't have liked it to be my first. If you embrace the experience, come what may, weather is unpredictable, I walked with groups and didn't even notice the "crowd"-my husband complained bitterly. Walk alone, in company, on the way, all the Irish love the group dynamic and everyone loves the Irish...can get all other advice on this forum, if need more PM me. If you have plenty of time enjoy every moment.
Una
Wicklow
Sunny East coast.

I understand... I finish classes at the end of June and have July and August to walk, exactly when most posters here advise is the worst possible time. So far, my plans are all loosey-goosey--I'll share with you some of what I've learned on this forum in hope that it aids your planning too;
I plan to:
a) start mid-week
b) avoid Pamplona crowds and expenses during the running of the bulls
c) avoid arriving in Santiago on July 25
d) be prepared to sit out any huge pilgrim wave by stopping just short of or just past the Brierley guidebook and German-language guidebook (I have the Kompass Jakobsweg Spanien guide too) stages
e) get mellow and chill out and just walk and not be bothered about anything else. (Lofty ideals indeed-- let's say hope triumphs over experience lol!)
Welcome to the forum! Perhaps we'll meet on the Way.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I live on the camino, right in the middle. IMHO, the really packed-out season is no longer July and August, except perhaps on the last 100 km. The amazing crowds are now in May and September!
You are going to be fine. Just pick what works for you and go. Plan to deal with a lot of hot weather.
No worries.

I just walked September and first two weeks in October. Although I always found a bed, I remember a couple of young women who had to bunk in someone's garage. Thank goodness they had sleeping mats with them. I know they are the first items to discard, but perhaps you should consider bringing one?

Sean, May I suggest that with another mindset you might not need to worry.

For myself it was the way and not the end that mattered. I was a slow walker so didn´t get to Santiago (ended in Astorga – had time restrictions). But had marvellous experiences along the way – taking my time and – as they say – smelling the roses along the way.

Buen camino from annelise

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
... I can be free for any five week period between Friday, 20th June and Sunday, 31st August, next year. When, do you think is the best time to go within those limits? (I know I'd rather go in May but that's not happening this side of retirement.) I'm planning on starting on the Spanish side of the Pyrenees (Roncevalles?) and ending at Santiago.

My personal suggestion and opinion - walk the Camino del Norte and not the Frances ;-)
Buen Camino! SY

I live on the camino, right in the middle. IMHO, the really packed-out season is no longer July and August, except perhaps on the last 100 km. The amazing crowds are now in May and September!
You are going to be fine. Just pick what works for you and go. Plan to deal with a lot of hot weather.
No worries.

I experienced this on my walk through July and August last year. The crowds weren't too bad, but the hot days were abundant :)

I have wanted to do the Camino for about twenty years. I am not impulsive by nature.

I believe you. Seriously.:D

I wish you all the best in your planning and walking. July/August may be hot, but all can be done. Start as early as you can.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Why miss the biggest Festival of all on the Camino - July 25th in Santiago? This is a MUST see if you're finishing around that time. Ok, plan to get to Santiago the day before and do as Falcon advises and book a couple of nights' accommodation NOW (yes even this early!) on Booking.com. You can cancel the bookings, at no cost, closer to the time if you have to. Two things you'll have to bear in mind - there'll be large crowds at the Pilgrim masses around that time and large queues at the Pilgrim Office where you get your Compostela. But by that time you'll be sooo chilled out by your trip and dripping with patience that you won't mind those minor inconveniences. Take it from me - get there on the 24th if you can and stay for 2 nights over the Festival. Buen Camino Sean!

Sean
You are getting the important messages by reading well. We walked in Sep/Oct 2011 (an ideal time, planned well)...not on your nelly, we had a heat wave 33 most days..we are not in control. Go when you can, go on the CF as it is a must do first camino experience, enjoy all the festivals and other surprises along the way.

Hi Tita,
What did you do when you reached Finisterre? I am planning on five weeks to Finisterre then busing back to Santiago to then leave Madrid the next day back to the States?

Thanks!
Rosemary
Hi Rosemary, I went to the lighthouse to burn my socks and the following day I returned by bus to Santiago, it was the first time in 36 days that I didn't walk! I took the 8.30 bus and spent all day in Santiago where I had the free dinner at the Hostal de los Reyes Catolicos. Bought some small souvenirs and the following morning left by train to Barcelona. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Sean
Walked this year in August and early September weather was brilliant, suggest you start in SJPP for the full experience, fly Ryan Air to Biarritz bus to Bayonne, then onto SJPP. Enjoy and have the craic Buen Camino

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back