• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bicycling from CDG south to the Latin Quarters (5th. District.)

torreyjames

Time of past OR future Camino
(Plan to bicycle the Camino France/Camino de Santiago in 2014)
Has anyone road their bikes from CDG to SJDP?
I was considering putting my bike back together in CDG when I land at 8am, and riding my bike out of the airport heading South to the 5th. District. I was then going to see the sights for a couple of days before catching a train South for SJDP. How long does this ride take, is it safe?
buen camino,
James.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Has anyone road their bikes from CDG to SJDP?
I was considering putting my bike back together in CDG when I land at 8am, and riding my bike out of the airport heading South to the 5th. District. I was then going to see the sights for a couple of days before catching a train South for SJDP. How long does this ride take, is it safe?
buen camino,
James.

James,

The distance from CDG airport to the left bank Paris is roughly 30 k.
Click this link to see a route mapped in Google maps.

In Paris you would need to bike to the Gare Montparnasse to board the TGV train to Bayonne. In Bayonne it is another TER train to SJPdP. All these trains also transport bikes. Timetables for such trains show a bike symbol. For more info see this SNCF link.

For specific info on transporting bikes on French trains see this link. Once it loads click Voyages à bord de TGV and Voyages à bord de TER.

Happy pedaling and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Be sure to take special care in securing your bike in Paris if you are staying a couple of days.
If you lose it your Camino will take a very severe downturn.
I would not let it far out of sight.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Keep me posted on what you find. I want to cycle from CDG to Bordeaux. 2 years ago I tried cycling from Dieppe all the way to SJPD but got severely rained out once I hit Chartres. I took a train to Bordeaux from Gare Montparnasse and that was easy enough. Cycling from CDG into the city is going to be a lot more difficult for me. I arrive at 8AM also after an all night flight and I don't sleep on airplanes. I'm not sure I will have the where with all to put my bike together and cycle 30 K through traffic.

James,

The distance from CDG airport to the left bank Paris is roughly 30 k.
Click this link to see a route mapped in Google maps.

In Paris you would need to bike to the Gare Montparnasse to board the TGV train to Bayonne. In Bayonne it is another TER train to SJPdP. All these trains also transport bikes. Timetables for such trains show a bike symbol. For more info see this SNCF link.

For specific info on transporting bikes on French trains see this link. Once it loads click Voyages à bord de TGV and Voyages à bord de TER.

Happy pedaling and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Thank you Margaret for your all your help... people like you make all of our days pleasant to navigate as we translate various "threads" of our lives.
buen camino,
James.

I once biked right into CDG. With some creative route planning, you can be on pleasant bike roads very close to the airport. I did about 2 km of multilane white knuckle sprint at the end.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I once biked right into CDG. With some creative route planning, you can be on pleasant bike roads very close to the airport. I did about 2 km of multilane white knuckle sprint at the end.

Is mountain biking into CDG more dangerous than biking out? Are the French courteous to cyclist, or just stop short of running you down like in the U.S.?
buen camino,
James.

Are the French courteous to cyclist, or just stop short of running you down like in the U.S.?
buen camino,
James.

Are you serious????

The difference is night and day. The French have tremendous respect for bikes. Their mothers still ride to the store for groceries and their sports heroes are cyclists. Bike are considered legitimate vehicles and given full rights to the road.

As opposed to the US, where even driving school instructors claim cyclists need to be taught a lesson about who owns the road.

Are you serious????

The difference is night and day. The French have tremendous respect for bikes. Their mothers still ride to the store for groceries and their sports heroes are cyclists. Bike are considered legitimate vehicles and given full rights to the road.

As opposed to the US, where even driving school instructors claim cyclists need to be taught a lesson about who owns the road.
Although I have never traveled to Europe before, I believed that the Bicycle culture that I had always heard about, seen on T.V. and read about was a European lifestyle. I was just slightly concerned when I read your thread reply..."I once biked into CDG."
buen camino,
James.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Everyone, This second Camino seems to be a go, even though I am far from ready! (1st Camino 2016, 2nd attempted 2019, needed surgery then tried for 2020). I still don't have shoes! Lol I...
Hello, I was trying to plan on catching the 4:00 pm Monbus from Samos to Santiago. I can see from the many reviews online this bus company is not reliable and treats customers terribly (denying...
Hi all! Not sure where to post this (moderators, please feel free to move to the correct section if it’s wrong here). Due to a mess up of the Dutch postal service, the parcel I sent home from...
which is the bus to take to cross the town of Burgos and find yourself on the camino francès to the other side of Burgos? what are the stops where to take the bus in Burgos and where to get off...
I purchased a ticket to Muxía from the Monbus website. The email confirmation has a link to “download ticket”, which takes me to a page on their website with my ticket details. However there is no...
Arrive June 1st in Madrid. The only train I can find gets me to Sarria very late in the evening with a 7 hour layover in Ourense. I am looking to get a taxi, private driver or shared ride to Samos...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back