• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Biking SJP to Santiago Observations

Wayne of LaVerne

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 bike, solo & lost, SJPP-Santiago via Napoleon Route
i just finished the route on my 15 yr old cannondale jekyl, panniers & panaracer knobby tires.
Observations:
Initial plan was riding the walkers route starting with the napoleon. Bad idea. Mostly hike & bike. Never saw 1 other rider. Hiker said they saw 1, but with no luggage.
Books said 15% of pilgrims are bike riding. Consensus among us riders was 1% to 2% max.
Riding routes can be very desolate, not seeing another pilgrim for hours. Be very sure of your route constantly verifying.
The Dutch riders are great companions, but they are firm followers of the Dutch Guide Book & will not vary. This amount to extra miles.
I only road 2 1/2 mixed days on the walkers route. Using knobbies for the balance is much slower the the thinner tires used by all others.
I should have downloaded the bike route also (not just the walkers route) & brought Michelin map. Impossible to find once on route. I did find the Spanish mountain bike route map which helped.
Bring a compass.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Wayne I'll be riding in September, I'm interested to know why you only rode 2 days on the walkers route? Crowded, Rough for riding etc
And about the riders route being desolate - is it so far away from everything.... I have a Michelin guide and have been researching as well, and am interested in all opinions and experiences

hmmmm ... I wonder why they call it the walkers route and who should be on it? After wife and I, along with others, were nearly run over by hard charging bicyclists ...perhaps the cyclists should use the cycling route. Just a thought. Not as scenic, then ditch the bike and walk. Buen Camino !!! :)

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What route were you on? I can't say it sounds anything like our experiences.

Hi Wayne I'll be riding in September, I'm interested to know why you only rode 2 days on the walkers route? Crowded, Rough for riding etc
And about the riders route being desolate - is it so far away from everything.... I have a Michelin guide and have been researching as well, and am interested in all opinions and experiences
Riding the napolean route is tough. Being the 1st day didn't help. Had good weather then.
No crowd except after Sarria. Then the vibe changes a bit. I biked the few miles (by mistake). I just kept it it low gear & followed behind the masses until trail crossed my road route.
When the walkers route. & road route are the same, it's not uncommon to have 3-4 walking side by side. They are often in a zone & a Bell doesn't help. Just be patient & enjoy the ride. Hopefully you might ride with some Dutch on their special route.
Give yourself route options, depending on how well you feel.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What route were you on? I can't say it sounds anything like our experiences.
I was on a combinations of many routes. The walkers, riders, Dutch riders, spanish riders & my just getting lost routes.

I was on a combinations of many routes. The walkers, riders, Dutch riders, spanish riders & my just getting lost routes.
Without really seeing a map of your route I am in the same boat as Newfydog. As I have reported a number of times I cycled from Pamplona to Santiago and from Pamplona to Rabanal I followed at least 90% of the walkers trail. Only where is was just not feasible to follow the walkers Camino or where it ran parallel to a road and thus the road was more practical. From Rabanal it was about 50/50 road and camino.

Which Michelin guide book did you buy? We are planning on cycling the last week in September until Oct. 14th and I don't seem be be able to find a road cycling map for the Camino Francs.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi @Carol PM I bought the Michelin Camino de Santiago guide, st jean pied de port to Santiago. I bought it online from the Map and Chart Shop in Perth Australia, I'm sure google will let you know where it's available near you It's a very useful book

Another two questions please. 1. Does it have the roads on it? and 2) Were you able to get this book in English, I can only find it in Spanish. Also when are you starting to cycle the French Camino. We hope to Sept. 26th at Pamplona. :)

@Carol PM here is the link to the book that I bought. The marked route is the walking track and subsidiary roads are clearly marked. I'll try to attach a photo of a page to demonstrate. It is multi lingual, there is not much text anyway. It seems to be available on Amazon as well.
http://www.chartandmapshop.com.au/2...MIgIOEi4291QIVD769Ch2zOQdAEAQYAyABEgKoi_D_BwE
We start from Pamplona on 3rd September and finish up in Santiago on 19th.
I hope this helps, cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0808.JPG
    IMG_0808.JPG
    821.2 KB · Views: 5
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...
Hi all, We are a bit concerned about being able to get accomodation as we are cycling the CDN this May/June. I read that pilgrims on foot get priority up to 8pm. We are aiming to arrive each day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back