• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bilbao to Pamplona

nickymunch

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances April 2018... planning Via de la Plata, Jan 2020
HI everyone, can anyone give me advice on travelling from Bilbao to Pamplona as this is where i plan to start my camino so to avoid entering France and beginning in SJPdP ( as i assume travel complications from London due to covid)?
i read that i can bus to San Sebastian then train to Pamplona, i just wondered if there may have been other options.
All the best
Nicky

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you arrive by plane, the bus between Bilboa and San Sebastián stops at the airport, so I’d recommend taking this leg of your journey into account.

Take bus no.3247 from outside arrivals at Bilbao airport to bus terminal In Bilbao. There you can take a bus to Pamplona. The bus leaves the airport very regularly and takes about 25 mins to the bus station.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
HI everyone, can anyone give me advice on travelling from Bilbao to Pamplona as this is where i plan to start my camino so to avoid entering France and beginning in SJPdP ( as i assume travel complications from London due to covid)?
i read that i can bus to San Sebastian then train to Pamplona, i just wondered if there may have been other options.
All the best
Nicky
There are a few buses per day directly via Vitoria. The bus company is Alsa. I used it for my first CF worked brilliantly.

All the best
Nicky
There's a bus driving from Bilbao to Pamplona, with several options and time frames and there is also a train but then you'll have to change on the way in Miranda de Ebro i think it is.
I downloaded the omio app and ordered and paid my ticket there.
Leaving Bilbao on February the 27 this year.

Rome2rio.com suggests a direct bus as the fastest and least expensive. Depending, as always, on your actual travel dates.
You could walk it if so inclined there are way marked routes
Thanks… do you have any suggestions on where I can find the walking routes?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Nickymunch, I thoroughly recommend La Vía Verde Plazaola, which goes from Andoain to Pamplona. This is a walk of three days. Most of the route is on a disused railway track alongside a river and is spectacular in many places, There are several tunnels, so you need a torch, There is an albergé near Andoain, and very reasonably priced hotels at Leitza and Irurtzun, both with excellent menus for pilgrims. Full information is available from the Tourist Office at Pamplona, the staff of which were very helpful when I emailed them (in English). When I walked it two years ago, I joined the Camino del Norte by following the cycle path to San Sebastian; but it would be quicker for you to follow the Camino del Norte from Bilbao to Zarautz (4 days), leaving you a fairly pleasant road walk of 21 km to Andoain. The total from Bilboa to Pamplona would be eight days of superb and varied scenery, the last three of which are perfectly flat. If you would like fuller details of the itinerary from Andoain to Pamplona, feel free to ask and I can send you copies of various PDF files. Buen Camino! Tom

Nickymunch, I thoroughly recommend La Vía Verde Plazaola, which goes from Andoain to Pamplona. This is a walk of three days. Most of the route is on a disused railway track alongside a river and is spectacular in many places, There are several tunnels, so you need a torch, There is an albergé near Andoain, and very reasonably priced hotels at Leitza and Irurtzun, both with excellent menus for pilgrims. Full information is available from the Tourist Office at Pamplona, the staff of which were very helpful when I emailed them (in English). When I walked it two years ago, I joined the Camino del Norte by following the cycle path to San Sebastian; but it would be quicker for you to follow the Camino del Norte from Bilbao to Zarautz (4 days), leaving you a fairly pleasant road walk of 21 km to Andoain. The total from Bilboa to Pamplona would be eight days of superb and varied scenery, the last three of which are perfectly flat. If you would like fuller details of the itinerary from Andoain to Pamplona, feel free to ask and I can send you copies of various PDF files. Buen Camino! Tom
Thanks for this response, I’d love that pdf , can you post it here or would you need my email address?
The way described sounds brilliant
Burn Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for this response, I’d love that pdf , can you post it here or would you need my email address?
The way described sounds brilliant
Burn Camino
And email address would be best, Nickymunch. (Edited on the advice of Kirkie (below) to remove email address, as a private message is to be preferred.)

Last edited:
Nickymunch, an email that appeared to come from you arrived in my Junk Box. Without reading it properly, I pressed Move to Inbox, and it disappeared completely! Perhaps you could send it again. Tom

Private messages are the better option, email addresses are not encouraged for privacy reasons. If you could edit your post, Tom, to remove your email address, that would be good.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I’d love that pdf , can you post it here or would you need my email address?
PDF and JPG files can be attached to private Conversations and to regular posts on the forum, using the "Attach files" link at the bottom of the new post window. For most other types of files, you need to use email, but you should share the email addresses by private Conversation.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
All the best
Nicky
I got a direct bus from Bilbao. It took two hours and left at 10am - obviously you would need to check timetable. There was a hotel right near the Bilbao bus station, a bit spartan but just across the road, two minutes away - Hotel Estadio, 60 euros.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back