• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Blog platform suggestions?

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I'm thinking about blogging while I'm on the Camino. I have never blogged before, so I'd like to find a platform that is easy to use that I can update as I go along. I mostly want this so that my family and friends can follow me along. I know that I could post every day on Facebook, but I'd rather do something separate from Facebook. Who here has blogged while they walked the Camino?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I used the "live from the Camino" highlight that is available when you open a new thread, and just added to it when I felt like it. It was a lot easier than setting up a blog.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Check out www.trailjournals.com. The description says "Backpacking Journals & Photos from Long Distance Hikers". The top left corner has links to various hikes. Though they are primarily in the US, the Camino and the Coast to Coast (UK) are listed. Several people have started their 2016 Camino journals already and you can go back to previous years to review completed journals.

I have posted to my blog every day from three Caminos and am about to start my fourth. I use the Wordpress platform which is reasonably straightforward and can be made to be very user friendly if you want to put some effort into a good structure. I started blogging to keep my family and friends up to date and three years later have received 330,000 views from 140 countries.
http://www.magwood.me

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Wordpress :)

Blog is all set and ready to go for our first step on 22nd April.
Link in signature panel below.
Have fun creating!
Buen Camino

As a complete blog novice, how do you go about setting up a Wordpress blog? Will I be able to update it easily on my phone? Will I need to have my own domain? My daughter is a graphic designer and has a blog, I should probably get help from her. :)

Anyone can sign up for a free Wordpress site. No domain needed.
It depends what sort of blog you want. Something simple with a basic setup, would be easily doable, but I think it's a good idea to ask your daughter for some help.
I did :D and then I did a practise blog, so I felt confident.
The trickiest bit was finding an easy way to upload the photos from my iPhone, but I think I have that sorted now.
You can update the blog from your phone, as long as you don't mind typing on your phone.
I will be taking a keyboard to make life easier - a little extra weight, but worth it for me.
Hope this helps.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Also, you may care to take a look at www.travelpod.com and www.blogger.com. I've used both and each has its own strengths and weaknesses. I think both are relatively easy to use, with great publishing standards, although I'd suggest that you practice using a dummy blog for some weeks before you go as they are far easier to learn at home than they are on the road when maybe you're tired and may have to work quite efficiently to post something at the end of a long day with little free time/limited wifi connectivity. I can PM links to mine if you want to see what they look like.
Good luck and burn Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back