• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bomberos in Burgette - gift

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
Mission accomplished.

Following the thread (now closed) about rescues we thought it might be nice to drop off a donation to the Bomberos.

The station is about 500 metres South West of the village on the N-135,
i.e. 400-500 metres past the camino turn off on the main road.

So a brisk 10 minute detour. There is a letter box at the front door.

20180427_130816.jpg

We put this on the envelope....

esta donación es de un par de peregrinos agradecidos por vuestro trabajo. Gracias por todo

Which hopefully means.....

This donation is from a couple of grateful pilgrims for your work. Thanks for everything

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Mission accomplished.

Following the thread (now closed) about rescues we thought it might be nice to drop off a donation .....

The station is about 500 metres West of the village, i.e. 500 metres past the camino turn off.

So a brisk 10 minute detour. There is a letter box at the front door.

View attachment 41955

Rob and Pat, That deserves more than just a like. We'll also drop by next time on the Frances. Cheers and Buen Camino, Mike

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What a great initiative! Hopefully many, many others read this and will think about the bomberos during their Camino. Every year we see these men much too often bringing in exhausted pilgrims who underestimated their fitness, got lost in the mist or came into real trouble breaking a leg or ankle during their descent.

Can someone help me figure out where the Bomberos crew responds from Zubiri area? In Sept 2017 just before Zuburi I witnessed not only a pilgrim fall and be seriously injured (ultimately required emergency facial/cranial surgery) but also witnessed the responding Bomberos guys do an absolutely fantastic job. I’m starting CF again in a few weeks and would like to make a deposit at their station. Any ideas how to find out where to do so?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Can someone help me figure out where the Bomberos crew responds from Zubiri area? In Sept 2017 just before Zuburi I witnessed not only a pilgrim fall and be seriously injured (ultimately required emergency facial/cranial surgery) but also witnessed the responding Bomberos guys do an absolutely fantastic job. I’m starting CF again in a few weeks and would like to make a deposit at their station. Any ideas how to find out where to do so?
If it was this incident then it was the Bomberos from Cordovilla near Pamplona and not the Burguete team. It fits your description: Friday 15 September 2017, around 10.30 in the morning, one kilometre before Zubiri, pilgrim fell and hit a rock, head injury.

Addresses are here. Look for the address of the actual station (parque) and not the administrative seat.

The pilgrim in question was of course also helped by the staff at the Health Centre in Huarte and the CHN hospital in Pamplona ...

Last edited:
The Burgette bomberos are located on the N-135 highway, off the camino. You will pass them if you walk the N-135 to Espinal instead of taking the camino. After about a kilometer or less beyond them, on the left, is the N-140 and on the map linked below you can see a cluster of buildings near the intersection. One of these is marked as a gourmet grocery store; seems like a good place to pick up something for the mozos if you don't mind walking back to them.

See also the first post in this thread.

This interactive map should be centered on the fire department. It is before the red roofed building. You can use Google Street View.

If it was this incident then it was the Bomberos from Cordovilla near Pamplona and not the Burguete team. It fits your description: Friday 15 September 2017, around 10.30 in the morning, one kilometre before Zubiri, pilgrim fell and hit a rock, head injury.

Addresses are here. Look for the address of the actual station (parque) and not the administrative seat.

The pilgrim in question was of course also helped by the staff at the Health Centre in Huarte and the CHN hospital in Pamplona ...

Thank you so much! I will make every effort to stop there in a few weeks.
Yes, this is the pilgrim and incident. I was the one who made the 112 call they refer to in the article. I was so thankful that I had cell reception. I have thought about this pilgrim endless times since that day. The night before she and I were at the same communal dinner. Through translation I learned she was an avid skier and in superior shape. She had planned for years to do the Camino. I saw her fall, a simple mis-step that could happen to any of us. Even though she was clearly seriously injured and blood was everywhere she absolutely would not stop trying to get up and try to continue walking. It took me and another male that came by to physically restrain her from doing so. I have no idea what the responding Bomberos said to her (she spoke Slovenian & German) but watching them get and keep her calm and attend to her injuries was impressive, to say the least. A few days later I stopped at a Bomberos station to see if I could get any updates on her which is how I found out about the extent of her injuries & surgery.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Busy days for the Bomberos of Burguete, judging by their Twitter account:
  • Today, a few minutes ago: rescued a peregrina who was exhausted and with symptoms of hypothermia. The photo shows two team members carrying the pilgrim to their rescue vehicle. Looks like top of route Napoleon
  • Yesterday from the emergency hut on Lepoeder: rescued a pilgrim with a sprain (esguince) that made it impossible to continue walking
  • Yesterday somewhere on the descent to Roncesvalles: localised a pilgrim in good health but with symptoms of exhaustion who got lost and was disoriented. Photo shows a person on a very steep slope with difficult access. He looks the experienced pilgrim part, makes me wonder whether he was trying to make his own way, ie a shortcut. He was taken to the camping in Espinal because Roncesvalles was already full.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.