• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Souvenirs and gifts - what's popular?

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
Are there lots of opportunities to buy small camino souvenirs to bring back as gifts? They would obviously need to be quite small and light.

Basically I'm wondering:

- are there lots of opportunities to pick up souvenirs along the way?
- what sort of souvenirs tend to be popular?
- can I wait until Santiago to buy camino-related souvenirs, or is it better to pick them up along the way?

Not a serious concern I realize, but there have been plenty of times in the past when I've been traveling around a country, and regretted not purchasing something because I assumed wrongly that I could easily find them anywhere. I do need to bring back a small something for a number of people at work who are covering for me while I'm away. And I'd like to find something a little nicer for my wife and daughter.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Are there lots of opportunities to buy small camino souvenirs to bring back as gifts? They would obviously need to be quite small and light.

Basically I'm wondering:

- can I wait until Santiago to buy camino-related souvenirs, or is it better to pick them up along the way?

Not a serious concern I realize, but there have been plenty of times in the past when I've been traveling around a country, and regretted not purchasing something because I assumed wrongly that I could easily find them anywhere. I do need to bring back a small something for a number of people at work who are covering for me while I'm away. And I'd like to find something a little nicer for my wife and daughter.
NOOOO...don't buy things along the way as you will have to CARRY them! We try to send postcards to the Grandkids along the way, but that can also get pricey. Wait until you get to Santiago to buy souvenirs. I have a ceramic tile that I use as a trivet. Also have a set of Santiago crosses for Santiago cake stencils...

NOOOO...don't buy things along the way as you will have to CARRY them! We try to send postcards to the Grandkids along the way, but that can also get pricey. Wait until you get to Santiago to buy souvenirs. I have a ceramic tile that I use as a trivet. Also have a set of Santiago crosses for Santiago cake stencils...
Yes carrying them is a concern, which is why I'm hoping anything I spot along the way will also be available in Santiago. Ceramic tiles are a great idea.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have no advice here: When walking, my mind is solely on my camino, not on souvenirs; it is about me and my mind. I may be a grumpy old man, but I like to walk my Caminos in peace and personal reflection, and not considering me as a tourist. My mind/soul, however small and insignificant for this humble mortal,, is too valuable for that.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
There are plenty of places to buy souvenirs along the routes. That said - I suggest not picking up souvenirs until you reach Santiago. Everything you buy has to be carried on your back. My daughter did buy a beautiful shell necklace - but she wore that.

In Santiago - there are a plethora of options. There is a Camino version of almost every type of souvinir that you would find in other cities (spoons, mugs, bumper stickers, key chains, jewelry etc)

For me - my souvenirs are my credential and Compostela and Distance Certificate. I also bought 2 t-shirts in Santiago. I also got a Fisterrana and Muxiana certificate and would have gotten a certificate in Sahagun - but it was during COVID and I didn't want to walk all the way to get it to find the building was closed due to COVID. And my photos. LOTS of photos.

Basically I'm wondering:

You can absolutely wait until Santiago to pick up Camino-related souvenirs. In the old part of the town there are souvenir shops absolutely everywhere - you won’t go 50 metres without seeing one, such is the high volume of them. And they sell lots of different things - t-shirts, fridge magnets, miniature Camino markers, miniature botafumeiros, key rings, stickers, jewellery…and that’s just what I can think of off the top of my head.

When I finished my first Camino in 2014 what I really wanted was a Camino shell pendant, and I found a nice white gold one at Alrif Jewellery on Rua de Vilar. When I completed my second Camino last month I went back to the same shop and got a yellow gold Camino shell to add to it 🙂

I have no advice here: When walking, my mind is solely on my camino, not on souvenirs; it is about me and my mind. I may be a grumpy old man, but I like to walk my Caminos in peace and personal reflection, and not considering me as a tourist. My mind/soul, however small and insignificant for this humble mortal,, is too valuable for that.
Lucky for you I guess, but some of us do have people we are leaving at home while we walk, and I'm pretty confident that picking up a couple knick knacks at the end won't impact my peace or personal reflection. Not clear what the tourist reference is about.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you are on the Frances, stop at the blacksmith shop at the bottom of the hill you climb to the wine fountain. He sells small black shells. You can get then with a leather lace or without. You can make a key chain if you don’t want to wear it. They don’t take up much space in a pack.

I picked up little penitente figurines in Leon for friends, they were quite light and took no space in my pack. There wasn't much that I saw along the way that wasn't available in Santiago. The gift shop at the Cathedral and Pilgrim's Office both have lovely things, everything seemed reasonably priced.

There are some very nice shops in Santiago with jewellery, art and ceramics - make sure you bring home a witch!

A really nice place to shop for souvenirs in Santiago is the gift shop in the Hospideria San Martin Pinaro. Locally made, good quality, including some consumable items for those who don’t want any more “stuff”.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Taking gifts back from trips, to family and friends: I take home cloth shopping bags from grocery stores for me and others--they are in the language of the place, they can have interesting graphics and colours, they are unique for the person being given them, they are useful to the person receiving them, they are light to carry, AND they are inexpensive!

You can get anything you want in Santiago. I brought home mini tiles that were refrigerator magnets to give us gifts.

Someone had given one to me when she learned I wanted to do the pilgrimage and it helped keep my dream alive.

For me personally, my stamped passport is my most treasured souvenir from the trip. And I also purchased gold shell earrings.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you are on the Frances, stop at the blacksmith shop at the bottom of the hill you climb to the wine fountain. He sells small black shells. You can get then with a leather lace or without. You can make a key chain if you don’t want to wear it. They don’t take up much space in a pack.
Yes! This place. The blacksmith is so friendly and has many lovely items that are light enough to carry.

Picture1.png

My husband surprised me in Santiago with a small shell pendant, silver-toned with blue and turquoise for the shell striations. Not expensive, tiny, and a wonderful memento of the trip that I wear often.

I tend to get light things like key rings along the way as there’s a “sameness“ to them in Santiago…both for myself, and family and friends
The individual Camino magnets I get in Santiago
Last year I found some nice Camino bottle openers
Theres a lovely little shop in Arzua with some unusual bits like wall plaques, not too heavy but then they go into Charlies bag!
Ive always been a “magnet“ person ever since we started travelling as they can put a smile on my face remembering the nice places we’ve been
The front of the fridge is just as bad…time for a bigger fridge!

Attachments

• IMG_5090.jpeg
    IMG_5090.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5091.jpeg
    IMG_5091.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5092.jpeg
    IMG_5092.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Basically I'm wondering:

There are lots of opportunities, especially in the last 100 km on the Frances. In general, my practice has been to buy them in Santiago rather than picking them up along the way, to avoid carrying the extra weight along my Camino, but there have been a few times I've regretted it. There are a lot of souvenir shops in Santiago. There were on my first Camino in '89 and the number doesn't seem to have reduced since then.

If you are passing through Madrid, "La Violeta" in Plaza de Canalejas sell some very unique, violet-shaped and flavored hard sweets that come in containers of various sizes so they're easily transportable. I also picked up a box of Rabitos Royale Dark chocolates at El Corte Ingles that were well received by the recipient, not to mention incredibly tasty.

I bought this key chain on the Portugués from a gentleman on an uphill section far from anything. I was so happy to stop and browse so I could rest and breathe. On the next 2 Caminos I searched for the same thing to buy as gifts. No where to be found. They have canvas shoe key chains but no where are there leather boots. Some times just buy when you see it.

Attachments

• IMG_3773.jpeg
    IMG_3773.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back