• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Book in SJPP or not

Dodger

Lone Walker, Frances 2018-VdlP2022 Francigene2023
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2018
VDLPP2022
Francigen 2023
Intend to arrive in SJPP on 6th April, from Australia after a long flight time I intend to stay 2 nights SJPP departing SJPP on 8th April.

Do I need to book?, not fussy where I stay, just need a bed and a hot shower, how busy will the Camino be at this time of year?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Welcome to the forum.

There will be plenty of pilgrims that time of year, but not an overwhelming throng like later in the season. Why NOT book ahead if your travel is set? There are lots of choices on line, you know where you want to be, and it will be a load off of a jet lagged mind to have a fixed destination when you arrive. While you are at it, I suggest you book Roncesvalles as well, if that's your planned first stop. I'm not a fan of booking ahead as you get going, but the first few nights can relieve a little stress without tying you down too much.

Buen Camino

Hi @Dodger and welcome to the forum. At the beginning of April it should not be too busy. It is more a question of knowing how you will feel after the long flight from Australia, and whether you would be more comfortable with something pre-arranged.

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Dodger, my friend and I are also travelling from Australia and arriving in SJDP on 6 April. We plan to stay 2 nights also and start the walk on 8 April. We have booked our accommodation in SJDP but not Roncesvalles. May see you along the Way.

Buen camino

Hi Dodger, my friend and I are also travelling from Australia and arriving in SJDP on 6 April. We plan to stay 2 nights also and start the walk on 8 April. We have booked our accommodation in SJDP but not Roncesvalles. May see you along the Way.

Buen camino

Thanks, I fly into Paris and with luck will be on the train and make SJPP on the 6 April.

Buen Camino

Welcome to the forum.

There will be plenty of pilgrims that time of year, but not an overwhelming throng like later in the season. Why NOT book ahead if your travel is set? There are lots of choices on line, you know where you want to be, and it will be a load off of a jet lagged mind to have a fixed destination when you arrive. While you are at it, I suggest you book Roncesvalles as well, if that's your planned first stop. I'm not a fan of booking ahead as you get going, but the first few nights can relieve a little stress without tying you down too much.

Buen Camino

Thanks Rick

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi @Dodger and welcome to the forum. At the beginning of April it should not be too busy. It is more a question of knowing how you will feel after the long flight from Australia, and whether you would be more comfortable with something pre-arranged.

Buen Camino!

Thanks, Kanga

Just to note that Easter Sunday is 1st April next year, so arriving on 6th will be within the Easter holidays for many people. However, i would think that anyone who was going to start at Easter will already be a few days ahead of you. I would also agree with Rick that booking the first day or two sets your heart at ease, especially if you fly in from far away.

Tend to agree with the above. Arriving in SJPdP after a long journey and then having to traipse up and down the hill trying to find somewhere to stay is demoralising. One regret I did have on my first trip though was booking into a B&B a fair way out from the Rue de la Citadelle/Rue D'Espagne main drag, in my admittedly limited experience the seeds of many friendships are sown the night before setting off in the Albergues and restaurants along there.

Though if you do decide to wing it the people at the Pilgrim Credential Office may well be able to tell you where has some room.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you do decide to book consider booking just one night. When you get there check for the weather. The next day might be a glorious day for hiking in the Pyrenees but day after might be miserable. Once in SJPdP it would be easy to get a second night somewhere.

Just book a place for the first two nights. You WILL be glad you did. Take the extra day to get over jet lag and explore St. Jean Pied de Port. Again, you will be glad you did.

I hope this helps.

Just book a place for the first two nights. You WILL be glad you did. Take the extra day to get over jet lag and explore St. Jean Pied de Port. Again, you will be glad you did.

I hope this helps.

For what to see as you explore SJPdP there is brief history in French of the major monuments/areas including the Citadel complex in this web from the town hall.
http://www.st-jean-pied-de-port.fr/decouvrir/histoire-et-patrimoine/sites-et-monuments/

Bon chemin and Buen camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
For what to see as you explore SJPdP there is brief history in French of the major monuments/areas including the Citadel complex in this web from the town hall.
Thank you @mspath for reminding me of my collection of SJPdP links.

The Tourist Office has two PDF guides that you can keep copies of on your phone.

A 4 page city guide (in English):
A 44 page travel book to the region (in French):

Also, the Pilgrim's Office in SJPdP has some handouts.

A guide for the Route Napoléon (in English):
Les ports de Cize - Handout map of the two routes (easy to figure out):

Intend to arrive in SJPP on 6th April, from Australia after a long flight time I intend to stay 2 nights SJPP departing SJPP on 8th April.

Do I need to book?, not fussy where I stay, just need a bed and a hot shower, how busy will the Camino be at this time of year?
Hi Dodger i arrived in SJPP end of march and felt no need to book but i hadn't just kanded after a long haul flight. But if it means peace of mind for you after the long haul flight i recommend booking. Getting sleep after hours in the air will help with jet lag and give you a more focussed Camino start
Buen Camino from NZ pilgrim

You can always get lucky with accommodations made in person on arrival. However, in my experience, it is less stressful to have a reservation waiting for you. I always make one for the first two nights at SJPdP.

There are numerous private albergues, hostals and hotels to reserve in advance. Try www.booking.com.

Also, if you are on the noon train from Gare Montparnasse, you will not arrive in SJPdP until about 6:00 pm. A previously made reservation is the recommended way to go. Get checked in. Have a great trout dinner in a local restaurant with fish fresh caught in the local river. Relax...;)

I use the intervening day to play tourist and finalize my packing, shipping stuff ahead (Express Bourricot), and making the necessary visit to the Pilgrim Office at Rue de Cittadele #39. That evening, I attend the marvelous Pilgrim Mass at the local church (ALL are absolutely welcomed). Then, the following morning, I start my pilgrimage towards Santiago.

That first day gives UP an entirely new dimension...when Refuge Orisson appears around that last bend in the road, it is like an oasis in a desert and the cold beer tastes all the better. You will KNOW that you earned it.

St. Jean Pied de Port has been supplying and sending pilgrims off, on their way to Santiago for more than 1100 years. They are seriously good at hospitality.:)

The recommendation to book ahead is especially true if you are walking during the "official" Camino season, from Easter through September. FYI, in 2018, Easter Sunday falls on Sunday 1 April (NO, not an April Fools Day joke).:eek:

I hope this helps.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
More than a 12 hour flight, I agree with everyone here that booking the first two nights is best. But this may be a good time to consider how to handle the Camino itself.

Some may disagree with what I am about to say but it is one viewpoint, mine. If it is agreeable, great. If it is not agreeable, I respect your right to have your viewpoint.

For me, I can never allow myself to reserve a bed ahead of time on a pilgrimage. If I am a tourista, yes, I will book accomodation.

The differences are noteworthy. As a Pilgrim, the experience of walking across an entire country is designed to allow a lot of personal time, empty the mind of all the cross talk and get to a place where change can happen, part of the Miracle of the Camino. A tourist does not delve into the countryside as deeply as a Pilgrim. Do Pilgrims try to pack a ton of experiences in a week or two? No. They are out there for a month or more. They fit in what they can. They learn as they go.

It boils down to, one question, "What is more important, the desination, or the journey?" Let the Camino provide.

I am always on the side of ..preparedness when you have the option to make plans.
I have booked in SJPdP 29 Rue de la Citadelle for Aug. through Airbnb.Host Luis was prompt in returning my request and answering questions. He is a B&B and close to the Pilgrim Office. I believe he has more than one B&B.
Good Luck
SLOChick

Coming from Australia I normally stay 2 nights in Madrid or Barcelona to get over the jetlag then make my way to St Jean or wherever I plan to start.
I like Belairie in St Jean and Orisson if you want to break up the first day.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back