• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Boots or shoes?

Sandune

Time of past OR future Camino
I have hiking boots and hiking shoes. For my walk on Camino Francis in April /May I am trying to decide which to take. Some people have advised me to take the lightest shoes possible ( hiking shoes) whilst others recommend boots for the ankle support they provide. I would welcome advice from those of you who have walked The way.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It would probably be worthwhile searching the forum for past responses to this - there are many, and it is one of those issues that polarise members.

I have walked in spring, and will do so again this year. I have worn boots, and will do so again. Most people I saw with blisters were wearing shoes, and the only time I blistered was when I was wearing sandals. Others will have different experiences.

Be guided by the advice, but you will need to make up your own mind.

I have a preference for light walking boots. I like the ankle support as some of the terrain can be rough but I also like my footware to be as light as possible. It really does come down to personal choice and whatever works best for you. Most importantly, whether it is boots or shoes, do they fit you perfectly and have you trained many miles in them before you get to the Camino? Are you and your footware on excellent terms before you start?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I did the Camino Frances in Teva Forebay full toe coverage sandals with two pairs on non-cotton socks and cheap sole liners and never had a problem with my feet...but my biggest problem with my feet is being able to vent the heat and sweat to keep my feet dry or drier...and on the rainy days these sandals did great too not trapping water against my feet even though my socks were completely wet...but I also had a pair of light and dry slippers to change into and wear at night to let my sandals have time to dry.

I did the Camino Frances in Teva Forebay full toe coverage sandals with two pairs on non-cotton socks and cheap sole liners and never had a problem with my feet...but my biggest problem with my feet is being able to vent the heat and sweat to keep my feet dry or drier...and on the rainy days these sandals did great too not trapping water against my feet even though my socks were completely wet...but I also had a pair of light and dry slippers to change into and wear at night to let my sandals have time to dry.
Were you walking or mountain biking? I ask because your profile indicates you did the CF last year by mountain bike.

I mountain biked the hiking trail so in 1,000+ KM so I estimate that I pushed a 100-lb packed mountain bike at least 300+ KM uphill and the only problem I had with my feet was I forgot to cut my toenails after the first week and when I did remember I had no skin left under my toenails and that cost me a day and hurt like hell for a while.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I mountain biked the hiking trail so in 1,000+ KM so I estimate that I pushed a 100-lb packed mountain bike at least 300+ KM uphill and the only problem I had with my feet was I forgot to cut my toenails after the first week and when I did remember I had no skin left under my toenails and that cost me a day and hurt like hell for a while.
Thank you for clarifying that. I think it makes a difference if people reading this understand that your experience will have been different to those who walked.

On the Camino I saw piles of blown out boots on the Camino and I don't know if I would recommend boots...but the Germans wore some of the heaviest boots that I have ever seen so it may be cultural in choosing a shoe or boot...but most Americans wore some type of running or sport shoe and I wore a sport sandal which is most common in Colorado...but I saw a pilgrim hiking the last 100 km barefoot which I thought was impossible because of the Spanish chestnuts which caused some problems with sport sandals.

Doug has the correct line on this issue.

For what it is worth, my advice is that:
  • Everyone's feet and ankles are different. Accordingly, the final choice is highly individual
  • If you need the ankle support to carry your weight or because of foot, ankle, or knee / leg issues, I recommend the higher, mid-ankle height boot for the support
  • If you are a short, light person, e.g. a pixie; or a taller, but lithe and thin person, then hiking shoes might be for you.
As you can see from my avatar, I am a stout fellow. I need the extra support that ankle-high hiking boots provide. For the same reason, I could never ice skate or cross country ski because I had weak ankles. Actually, I think my ankles are normal. The rest of me is simply larger and heavier...:eek: it is what it is...;)

In the end, you need to determine how much support you need, what your shape (tall, short, thin, heavy), weight, and fitness level are, and which shoe style best suits you. This will determine the path you need to follow.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sandune Blisters has a lot to do with fit and foot conditioning which ever boots/shoes you choose make sure you do both, for this year I'm dumping my boots for trail runners so far I'm loving it also a much lighter pack weight.

Buen Camino
Zzotte

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, sooooo I just took a walk at work with the new shoes, second lap my leg started hurting down to the side of my calf, had to stop...that cant be the shoes right! I dint know if i was going too fast trying to keep up with my friend or what :oops:

Hi, sooooo I just took a walk at work with the new shoes, second lap my leg started hurting down to the side of my calf, had to stop...that cant be the shoes right! I dint know if i was going too fast trying to keep up with my friend or what :oops:
Seeking a diagnosis over the web from non-medical professionals is not a particularly effective approach. It could be a number of things - eg shin-splints comes to mind if you were exercising above your normal level of exertion - but there could be other conditions causing the pain. Consider consulting your doctor or physiotherapist.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Seeking a diagnosis over the web from non-medical professionals is not a particularly effective approach. It could be a number of things - eg shin-splints comes to mind if you were exercising above your normal level of exertion - but there could be other conditions causing the pain. Consider consulting your doctor or physiotherapist.
Thank i will consult my dr tomorrow, i just figured since so many have trained and walked some suggestions would give me a clue if it had to do with new shoes.

Thank i will consult my dr tomorrow, i just figured since so many have trained and walked some suggestions would give me a clue if it had to do with new shoes.
Your post suggested that there were other things that changed than just the shoes. If there had been a problem where the only change you had made were the shoes, it might have been reasonable to suggest you look to the shoes as a problem.

I am not familiar with the Ahnu, but for any shoes you might want to consider using either a partial heel support (eg orthoheel) or a replacement inner liner (eg superfeet). These typically give greater support and cushioning than the inner liner provided with the shoe

My worst experience preparing for my first camino was finding that after about 15km of walking, the boots I had bought creased so that it put pressure across the top of my toes. It did this several times at that distance - never before. I had to make the decision a couple of weeks before I left whether to continue trying to break in these boots or revert to an older pair. The older pair got the nod. My point is that checking your gear, including footwear, in circumstances close to what you expect to meet on the camino, is an important part of your preparation.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Yes, we are different. Last April-May I walked from Irun to Santiago and I used my Keen sandals all the way. No blisters or any other problems
with my feet. I had also boots hanging outside my backbag. They were excellent to keep my water bottles cool but had no other use for those.
I should have sent them back home.

Before my camino I read many stories about Del Norte and thought that there will be difficult rocky hills up and down. Sometimes it was a bit
challenging, in a good way, but nothing to be afraid of.

I have not extra weight to carry in my body (I´m not a `big man` as the overweight guys say) and walked a lot at home which I think helps
a bit. I don´t need support for my ankles. So keep on walking every day and `listen`what your feet say. It´s your job now.

Good advice: use your walking stick and WATCH YOUR STEPS especially when you get tired, you are not window shopping.

I wear hiking sandals and use trekking sticks to keep me upright. It works for me.

It would probably be worthwhile searching the forum for past responses to this - there are many, and it is one of those issues that polarise members.

Having read those forums, I would say, this is true, dougfitz! Lots of strong opinions here. Boots, sandals, trail runners all have their advocates based on the wearers' experience, so no point in arguing if someone was happy with their choice.

I think that the message that there's no "correct" solution is the most helpful one to give to us novice hikers. Sometimes I have read "boots are the only way to go" stated in a pretty decisive way. But it seems like the alternatives to hiking boots or hiking shoes work just fine for many long distance walkers.

I decided on running shoes because my feet have issues, and I need very flexible shoes, especially around my big toe joints (thank you, tae kwon do!) Another deciding factor for me was the advice of my son, who walked from Mexico to Canada on the Pacific Crest Trail (2,700 miles in 4 months) in a pair (ok, 4 pairs) of very lightweight Salomon trail runners. Many, if not most, long distance ultralight hikers these days don't wear boots. He had no blisters, foot or ankle issues. He urged me to wear whatever shoe felt light and comfortable.

So far my New Balance running shoes, paired with liners and wool socks and a little vaseline on the feet, are working great on my ten mile training hikes with pack. I'll send another report to verify when I'm a couple hundred miles along the Camino this spring!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Cecy, I wore Ahnu Montara boots (i like ankle support) on my 2014 walk and i have bought another pair for this years walk. They are really light and comfortable, i couldn't find any faults with them.

If you haven't done much walking take it easy until you have done a few weeks of training.

Buen Camino Judy.

Cecy, hope you're feeling better by now.
I live in Colorado and hike all over the mountains in my Ahnus - I absolutely love them, even though the sales guys at REI hate them. They say they don't last, but I disagree; I hike about 50 miles a week, more in the summer, and I've got thousands of miles on my Ahnus and I just love them. Hope you're still loving yours!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Cecy, I wore Ahnu Montara boots (i like ankle support) on my 2014 walk and i have bought another pair for this years walk. They are really light and comfortable, i couldn't find any faults with them.

I agree. My early training (ab 2.5 miles with lots of rests!) in the Montaras have been great. And I ordered them online from Amazon!! Miami not the best place to try many boots.
I ordered a full size larger and crossed my fingers ;)

When I lifted them out of the box I couldn't believe how light they were. BTW, they were $150 in black. I love the pretty burgundy for $122.

I've been out with them twice and they are very comfortable. And I have 7 more months to really break them in.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.