• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Brand New and need help.

Alfred

Time of past OR future Camino
Hopefully September - October 2015
I'm Alfred and am in search of something that can help me find myself and get back to the basics of life. I've done much research on the Camino De Santiago already I've known about it for some time way before the movie. I've been reading and came across something I'm not sure of . Do I have to get the Pilgrims Passport before hand or do I get it there I'm hoping to do the Camino in fall 2015?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you are starting in St. Jean Pied de Port, just get it at the Pilgrim's office there. It is also available in some churches along the route and ahead of time at the on-line store here and confraternities of St. James in different countries.

I really appreciate it. I am starting in SJPP would you advise just to get it here so it's something else I DONT have to worry about?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'd say get it there (in SJPdP) and don't worry about anything. When you arrive in SJPdP, go to the Pilgrim's office to register. They will give you the credencial (pilgrim's passport) as well as some other information on the walk. They are VERY helpful. You can also purchase a shell there, if you want. You will see the majority of pilgrims attach it to their backpack as a sign of their pilgrimage.

Buen Camino!

Alfred, I got my Credencial / passport at the Pilgrim's Office in SJPP.
For me, it was one less thing to think about before departure, there will be enough to attend to.
And I kinda prefer the SJPP credencial to others I have seen, but they're all special once you receive it.
As MichaelSG says, the Pilgrim's Office in SJPP is super-friendly, so relax, and allow the time for other prep.

Have a great journey, or Buen Camino !

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Alfred,

As MichaelSG and hampshire!tim note above the volunteers at the Pilgrim Office in SJPdP are very helpful. That office, Les Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques, is open every day at 39 rue de la Citadelle and usually stays open for the late arrival of the last train/bus. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. The volunteers can provide you with route info, Credential and on site lodging assistance. They help run the albergue at 55 rue de la Citadelle. Recently renovated this is a fine place to stay, but does NOT take reservations. If that albergue is full the volunteers will help you find other pilgrim lodgings when you are on site. They keep up to the minute lists of available space throughout the SJPdP area.

Buen camino,

Margaret Meredith

I agree, you can get the credencial easily in SJPDP but as you have enough time you can also get it from your local Camino association or order it directly from Ivar who runs this forum. I prefer to have my credencial beforehand, one less thing to worry about on arrival. But, by all means, check in with the pilgrims office in SJPDP for last minute information about the way over the Pyrenees ect. Buen Camino! SY

I have the same question, but if I will start my journey at Porto, where is better to buy a passport, where is the start point there and where is the local albergue?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The best source for information on the Caminho Portugues is the Via Lusitania website. A list of many of the best places to stay is here: http://www.vialusitana.org/en/albergues_eng/ . There is no "official" place to start a Camino but the Cathedral is a great place to begin and I believe that they have credencials for you there.

Bom Caminho!

Last edited:
I'm Alfred and am in search of something that can help me find myself and get back to the basics of life. I've done much research on the Camino De Santiago already I've known about it for some time way before the movie. I've been reading and came across something I'm not sure of . Do I have to get the Pilgrims Passport before hand or do I get it there I'm hoping to do the Camino in fall 2015?
Welcome - and you have a great journey ahead of you - including the planning stage! Routing for you to be able to embark this autumn --- onwards and upwards!!

Alfred, I got my Credencial / passport at the Pilgrim's Office in SJPP.
For me, it was one less thing to think about before departure, there will be enough to attend to.
And I kinda prefer the SJPP credencial to others I have seen, but they're all special once you receive it.
As MichaelSG says, the Pilgrim's Office in SJPP is super-friendly, so relax, and allow the time for other prep.

Have a great journey, or Buen Camino !
Thank you I will get it there In SJPdP I also want the shell from there I have seen the ones I can get online but they are different. This is a longtime waiting and special trip for me. I'm just nervous I guess because I'm going completely alone.

I'm just nervous I guess because I'm going completely alone.

Yep, it can a little bit nerve-tingling for a while ..... and also very exhilarating.
As many here have said many times, you can control the amount of "alone time" because you can be alone if you want on the walk and in the evenings, or you can enjoy the company of other pilgrims.

My loneliest time was actually on my journey from home near London to SJPP. Once arrived, there was always someone around if I wanted to talk or be with someone. I walked 2 days with one guy together, and then later 3 days with another, and in-between was almost always seeing and saying hello to people I had met previously on the road or in the albergues. So there will be people if you need them.

That's the Camino Frances, of course, which is the busiest. A little different on the less-travelled routes. I did the Camino Ingles in December 14, and I can only recall seeing 2 pilgrims on the way, and about 10 after arriving in SdC.

And of course, you're never alone here on this forum .... !

Welcome Alfred and Buen Camino!

Hello Alfred - as said above, no need to worry. You can get your credential and shell at the pilgrim's office in sjpdp. Lots of us travel solo, including myself. You just show up, put one foot in front of the other, quickly find your groove and meet many if you do wish. Buen Camino. No need to worry - waste of time!

It was my experience that when you are on the Camino a pilgrim is never really alone unless you want to be. Weather walking or going by a town for coffee, pilgrims seem to gravitate towards each other. I think that everyone can experience the feeling of being alone even in a crowd, but the Camino is welcoming. As you share your journey with others they open up to you. It's a kinship. That's the best I can explain it. I am with everyone else who said You can get your credential and shell at the pilgrim's office in sjpdp. Buen Camino

You realize that you don't need a Pilgrim Passport to walk, right? The Camino is just a trail that you follow.

But, as I'm sure you know, you will need it to get into albergues set aside for pilgrims (municipal, some private, etc.). And it is the best souvenir ever of a potentially life-altering experience.

As listed above, there are many places you can get your P.P., often for just a donation. At the very least, you can get one at SJPdP when you start out. I actually ran out of space on my first one and had to get a second during my trip so, don't worry, you can get them at many places along the way. You can go to Camino Resources on this forum. You can also try a Friends of the Camino website for your home country. They often offer Pilgrim Passports.

For me, getting my Credencial (pilgrim passport) in the mail from the American Friends of the Camino a few weeks before I set out on my first one totally ramped up my excitement to get on the road. That, and finally hitting the "purchase" button on my one-way transportation to SJPdP.

At any rate, you've come to the right place for answers to all things Camino.

Welcome and Buen Camino

Welcome to the forum Alfred. All will be well. You can get the passport without any difficulty in St. Jean.
However I appreciate that one can be nervous on a first Camino. For me the first day is the most stressful and I like to have as much planned and sorted as possible. For this reason I think it can be a good Idea to have booked your accommodation for the first night.
www.caminodesantiago.consumer.es will direct you to the various Caminos and you pick Camino Frances and then pick the first Etapa and you can see several albergues in St. Jean.

You have not said where you coming from. Do ask any more questions that you think of, and one of us (maybe many) will help you.
Buen Camino. It will be an experience of a lifetime.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Alfred,

As MichaelSG and hampshire!tim note above the volunteers at the Pilgrim Office in SJPdP are very helpful. That office, Les Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques, is open every day at 39 rue de la Citadelle and usually stays open for the late arrival of the last train/bus. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. The volunteers can provide you with route info, Credential and on site lodging assistance. They help run the albergue at 55 rue de la Citadelle. Recently renovated this is a fine place to stay, but does NOT take reservations. If that albergue is full the volunteers will help you find other pilgrim lodgings when you are on site. They keep up to the minute lists of available space throughout the SJPdP area.

Buen camino,

Margaret Meredith
Thank you Margaret you info will help tremendously the support on here has been wonderful.

Welcome - and you have a great journey ahead of you - including the planning stage! Routing for you to be able to embark this autumn --- onwards and upwards!!
Thank you. So far the planning has been going good, confusing at times but I'm sure all will be well. I'm shooting for the fall but financial a stretch but I'm staying positive. Thank you again.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Alfred - as said above, no need to worry. You can get your credential and shell at the pilgrim's office in sjpdp. Lots of us travel solo, including myself. You just show up, put one foot in front of the other, quickly find your groove and meet many if you do wish. Buen Camino. No need to worry - waste of time!
I'm doing my best to not worry and just give in to the experience. I guess my biggest worry in financial. I know I shouldn't worry about it but I have had a tough couple of years and finally getting back on track. Thanks for your advise and support it means a lot to me.

You realize that you don't need a Pilgrim Passport to walk, right? The Camino is just a trail that you follow.

But, as I'm sure you know, you will need it to get into albergues set aside for pilgrims (municipal, some private, etc.). And it is the best souvenir ever of a potentially life-altering experience.

As listed above, there are many places you can get your P.P., often for just a donation. At the very least, you can get one at SJPdP when you start out. I actually ran out of space on my first one and had to get a second during my trip so, don't worry, you can get them at many places along the way. You can go to Camino Resources on this forum. You can also try a Friends of the Camino website for your home country. They often offer Pilgrim Passports.

For me, getting my Credencial (pilgrim passport) in the mail from the American Friends of the Camino a few weeks before I set out on my first one totally ramped up my excitement to get on the road. That, and finally hitting the "purchase" button on my one-way transportation to SJPdP.

At any rate, you've come to the right place for answers to all things Camino.

Welcome and Buen Camino
Thank you . You have some great advise it will be helpful. I do realize I don't need a PP but as you say the souvenir is something to look forward to and will also ramp me up. Thank you again this site is awesome.

Welcome to the forum Alfred. All will be well. You can get the passport without any difficulty in St. Jean.
However I appreciate that one can be nervous on a first Camino. For me the first day is the most stressful and I like to have as much planned and sorted as possible. For this reason I think it can be a good Idea to have booked your accommodation for the first night.
www.caminodesantiago.consumer.es will direct you to the various Caminos and you pick Camino Frances and then pick the first Etapa and you can see several albergues in St. Jean.

You have not said where you coming from. Do ask any more questions that you think of, and one of us (maybe many) will help you.
Buen Camino. It will be an experience of a lifetime.
Sorry I'm from New Mexico

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Or do you prefer Cromwell's attitude? Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry. I am starting to get tired of the attitude that it isn't necessary to take reasonable care and thought...
I struggle with social anxiety and I was wandering if anybody with the same issue had a positive experience on the Camino walking alone. I saw lots of posts and videos people talking about forming...
I am currently walking the Camino Frances with my parents and am enjoying every moment. I brought some euros with me and loaded money onto a cash passport as I thought this would be safe...
I'm always a little apprehensive about posting anything approaching humour on this Forum, for fear of upsetting someone. But here goes . . . I heard this a few years ago, and it made me smile...
I can see where this will help in the eternal search for an open alberque. These "pilgrims" will by-pass many towns and communities during their "walk" leaving many alberques available for...
I’ve been in Le Puy en Valey less than 5 hours and have seen dozens of hikers with dogs.. I think it’s great but .. every book I read says it an “absolute NO” at any of the places to stay. Just...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.