• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bus to Sarria to start (from Santiago)

janecarr27

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2023
Hello all, first time doing this. We are starting our walk from Sarria. We need to get from Santiago to Sarria in July. I can only see a daily bus leaving Santiago at 11.00am. Can anyone advise on this or know other options? Thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think there is also a daily train service, leaving around 6 pm. You might want to check the RENFE site for details.

I am traveling direct from Madrid to Sarria by train. There are three daily trains.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Monbus only has one bus a day from Santiago to Sarria I believe. Otherwise you bus to Lugo and then catch a bus from there to Sarria. There will be more daily options for this. The current schedule and the July schedule will be similar.

https://www.monbus.es/en

I often suggest walking the last part of the Camino Primitivo from Lugo for folks wanting to do 100 km to Santiago. The Primitivo joins the CF at Melida but there are alternative ways to Santiago. I say suggest instead of recommend because I've not done this walk myself. Lugo has a two kilometer walkable on top Roman wall encircling the old city.

Details at this forum thread: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/lugo-to-santiago.77492/

After Santiago you may enjoy walking to the ocean at Finisterre, another 90 km, usually done in three days and more often in four than two. Decent bus service back to Santiago.

Monbus only has one bus a day from Santiago to Sarria I believe. Otherwise you bus to Lugo and then catch a bus from there to Sarria. There will be more daily options for this. The current schedule and the July schedule will be similar.

https://www.monbus.es/en

I often suggest walking the last part of the Camino Primitivo from Lugo for folks wanting to do 100 km to Santiago. The Primitivo joins the CF at Melida but there are alternative ways to Santiago. I say suggest instead of recommend because I've not done this walk myself. Lugo has a two kilometer walkable on top Roman wall encircling the old city.

Details at this forum thread: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/lugo-to-santiago.77492/

After Santiago you may enjoy walking to the ocean at Finisterre, another 90 km, usually done in three days and more often in four than two. Decent bus service back to Santiago.

Attachments

• 20230515_171926.jpg
    20230515_171926.jpg
    959.4 KB · Views: 26
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello all, first time doing this. We are starting our walk from Sarria. We need to get from Santiago to Sarria in July. I can only see a daily bus leaving Santiago at 11.00am. Can anyone advise on this or know other options? Thanks
We did this as well last September. The only bus was at 11 am. We purchased bus tickets ahead of time. We got a taxi from our hotel in Santiago to the Santiago bus station. It was not expensive.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I caught one (of the many) busses from Santiago to Sarria via Lugo and had enought time to explore the beautiful Lugo city walls and grab a bit of lunch in Lugo before catching my connection to Sarria. I arrived in Sarria around 2:30pm and then walked from there to Portomarin and the trail wasn't the least bit busy at that time of afternoon.

We did this as well last September. The only bus was at 11 am. We purchased bus tickets ahead of time. We got a taxi from our hotel in Santiago to the Santiago bus station. It was not expensive.
We're going Santiago to Sarria this September. Where did you get your bus tickets, how much and how far in advance did you purchase? Thanks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I caught one (of the many) busses from Santiago to Sarria via Lugo and had enought time to explore the beautiful Lugo city walls and grab a bit of lunch in Lugo before catching my connection to Sarria. I arrived in Sarria around 2:30pm and then walked from there to Portomarin and the trail wasn't the least bit busy at that time of afternoon.
Hello fellow traveller
I am trying to get from Santiago on June 11 2024 to Sarria where I hope to walk back to Santiago doing the last 100 km
Trying to book a bus is just impossible
The company say they are not doing bookings yet ? Monbus are giving me no information and it’s very frustrating
How long in advance did you get to book your bus ticket ?
Would appreciate any information
I know you have to get to Lugo first and another bus to Sarria .
Thanks Fidelma in Australia

Last Wed I took a Monbus from Santiago to Sarria early afternoon ie later than the 1100. Sorry, can’t remember the exact time but it was somewhere around 1400. When I bought the ticket at the Monbus ticket desk in Santiago bus station, I was sold a ticket to Lugo and told I had to change buses there to go in to Santiago. It stopped in Lugo bus station around 1515, everyone got off, then I had to go to the ticket office at the bus station (right by the stand the bus had pulled into) and buy the 2 euro something ticket to Sarria, to go back and re board the same bus. The driver then drove to Sarria - a 40-45 min journey.

This process hadnt been explained to me clearly when I bought the ticket but I figured it out.

If this seems cumbersome, then shoot for the 1100 bus.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello fellow traveller
I am trying to get from Santiago on June 11 2024 to Sarria where I hope to walk back to Santiago doing the last 100 km
Trying to book a bus is just impossible
The company say they are not doing bookings yet ? Monbus are giving me no information and it’s very frustrating
How long in advance did you get to book your bus ticket ?
Would appreciate any information
I know you have to get to Lugo first and another bus to Sarria .
Thanks Fidelma in Australia
I purchased my two bus tickets on the day that I travelled. I travelled on Tuesday the 16th July 2019. Neither bus was particularly busy or crowded.

For me, it didn't really matter if I travelled on the 16 or not. I had only my accommodation for that night reserved in Portomarin and I could have easily cancelled that and stayed somewhere else. I usually walk without reservations and so I am able to be very flexible.

I have no idea how busy the buses will be on the day that you travel or what other commitments you have and so I am not prepared to advise you to do what I did but I did something similar last year (purchased bus tickets minutes before the bus turned up) when I walked a combination of the Camino Madrid, Camino Frances and Camino Portuguese and again it worked for me.

Help! Im flying in to Santiago today and then Monbus to Sarria. There doesn’t see to be a bus station at the airport and it’s far outside town. Do I taxi to the bus station from the airport? Will Monbus stop at the airport? I managed to buy a ticket already but it won’t even give me the address to the bus station (it just says don’t be late!)

There is a bus from the airport to the city centre. I haven't been there, so I can't tell you where the bus stop is, but just ask when you arrive at the airport.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There is a bus from the airport to the city centre. I haven't been there, so I can't tell you where the bus stop is, but just ask when you arrive at the airport.
Ok! The plan A will be to catch a bus going west to catch a bus going east. That’ll work and it looks like I’ll have plenty of time. Thanks for the tip!

Update: took the bus in to town and then transferred to a bus to Sarria… and it stopped at the airport where I started. So there is a way to bus directly from the Santiago airport to Sarria, but the Monbus people on the ground, the website, etc all super unhelpful. Not sure how this can be clarified for future pilgrims. But it all worked out in the end and I logged my first Camino from Sarria! Can’t wait to try a longer route one day when work permits such an extravagant absence…

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back