• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

camelbacks, hydration etc

Andrewere

I thought Id post this having read Johnnymans 'where to carry camelback' post

I used a 3 litre Source hydration bladder on the Vdlp and there was no problem in carrying it in my 38 litre Osprey Kestrel backpack. It has a hydration bladder sleeve (as do most if not all the Osprey packs) which is located between the foam back and the main compartment. I also carry a 2 litre bladder in my 22 litre Osprey Talon with no probs. It means the load is best placed for balance ie central and close to the back. It's not perfect - try getting a full camelback into a full pack -it's impossible. Also an over-full pack puts a lot of pressure on the camelback and it might burst, mine did!! See here: http://spanishfootsteps.blogspot.com/20 ... ntara.html (scroll down for text)

The camelbacks have 2 functions. One is to allow you to carry a lot of water if you need to which is not so important on the Camino Frances etc but is on the Via de la Plata.The second to me is more important and that is to allow one to sip water little and often which doesn't happen when the water is in a bottle in my pack. I don't think this system encourages me to drink too much water and I always carry spare water in a small bottle in case I run out as you cannot easily see how much water is left with a camelback buried in you pack.

If you do lots of long distance walks you might wan't to get the 3 litre which at 205 grams is only 15 gms heavier than the 2 litre and you don't need to fill it completely if your doing a walk such as the Camino Frances where drinking water is plentiful. You don't have to fill it: as Tamtamplin said it gives you options.

Because I get cramps through loss of magnesium and sodium I use something like 'nuun' tablets which dissolve in the camelback and the flavours make the water more pallatable. However, these are very expensive and Tesco on the UK have a cheaper alternative.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.