• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camera Protection

jrm

Hello all,

When I went on Camino I struggled with the best way to carry my camera, and alternately the best way to protect it in the rain. I ended up carrying a smaller camera (EOS M) than I wanted (Canon 6D) since I couldn't figure out a great solution. Well, I got half of the solution figured out for my Camino and used a Peak Design Capture Clip to carry my camera on my backpack strap. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

However, I've now figured out the second part of weather protection and thought I'd pass it along here. I recently picked up a Peak Design Shell and took it on a trip to Iceland. It covered my 6D perfect and protected my camera in some very very very wet and windy conditions. While I saw people fumbling with rain covers and plastic bags, this cover was light, protective, easy to arrange, and protected my camera in all environments.

I have zero affiliation with Peak Design, but if you're going on Camino and want to protect your camera while keeping it outside of your bag and easily at hand, I can't recommend the Capture Clip and the Shell enough.

-jon

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello all,

When I went on Camino I struggled with the best way to carry my camera, and alternately the best way to protect it in the rain. I ended up carrying a smaller camera (EOS M) than I wanted (Canon 6D) since I couldn't figure out a great solution. Well, I got half of the solution figured out for my Camino and used a Peak Design Capture Clip to carry my camera on my backpack strap. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

However, I've now figured out the second part of weather protection and thought I'd pass it along here. I recently picked up a Peak Design Shell and took it on a trip to Iceland. It covered my 6D perfect and protected my camera in some very very very wet and windy conditions. While I saw people fumbling with rain covers and plastic bags, this cover was light, protective, easy to arrange, and protected my camera in all environments.

I have zero affiliation with Peak Design, but if you're going on Camino and want to protect your camera while keeping it outside of your bag and easily at hand, I can't recommend the Capture Clip and the Shell enough.

-jon

Thanks for sharing the clip idea. I haven't decided if I will take my DSLR with me but one of the issues is carrying it and protecting it. I have a nice fitted waterproof bag that will let me shoot in the rain and the camera itself is sealed so it should be fine for quick shots. But carrying it was where I was at a loss. I like this clip so I will need to look into it. As good as the iPhone camera is it doesn't come close to being able to take photos like a DSLR nor does it allow me to shoot in manual mode or long exposure. But I also really don't want to deal with an additional 3-5 pounds of electronic gear. I am not about to waste $600 or so dollars in getting a good compact camera that I'll never use after this trip. I can't decide :)

Hello all,

-jon
Thanks jrm. I agree the peak design capture clip is a great solution for walking. I hadn't seen their shell before, will have to look into it. Thanks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for sharing the clip idea. I haven't decided if I will take my DSLR with me but one of the issues is carrying it and protecting it. I have a nice fitted waterproof bag that will let me shoot in the rain and the camera itself is sealed so it should be fine for quick shots. But carrying it was where I was at a loss. I like this clip so I will need to look into it. As good as the iPhone camera is it doesn't come close to being able to take photos like a DSLR nor does it allow me to shoot in manual mode or long exposure. But I also really don't want to deal with an additional 3-5 pounds of electronic gear. I am not about to waste $600 or so dollars in getting a good compact camera that I'll never use after this trip. I can't decide :)

If you're still working through the decision, I'd say take it. I wish I took my DSLR on my camino. Sure, it's heavier than a compact, but I enjoy photography so much more with my DSLR than using a camera phone or a compact mirrorless. I struggled with the idea long and hard and figured the EOSM was the best solution. It was a great solution and was a stellar tool. However, the best solution, for me, would have been to cart my Full Frame DSLR along with one good versatile lens (a 24-70 or something, or even a 24 prime). Having it at hand using the capture clip would've been great. It's really not that much heavier, and I would have preferred to make it work ;)

just food for thought!

Thanks for the info ! I just got home and only used my iPhone and left camera home due to weight and rain issues . You provided good feedback .
Looking at a pilgrimage in Japan so the camera info will be useful .

ULTREIA
Anne

Hello all,

-jon
I'm still taking my old trusty Canon 300D on my Caminos in LowePro Off Trail 2 belt/neck bag (
). I like it because I can adjust the weight either more on the neck or the hips with the straps whether going uphil or walking on flat terrain. But as the years are accumulating on my shoulders the more I think of buying a new AND lighter DSLR (I don't like post production and framing the shot while viewing at the screen probably in very bright daylight, I just need the old fashioned view finder ;)) I found your Capture Clip very useful as an idea. Have to try it someday though. But I'm still very content with my pack which offers me to carry two 0,5l plastic water bottles in side "pockets". No need to put off the backpack for drink. But of course I'm using 18-200mm lenses that suits most of my needs on Camino.
Anyway thank you for posting!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello all,

-jon
I've checked the reviews on YouTube, will be getting the Capture Pro Clip and the Shell too. They make a pad which fits under the clip called the Pro Pad which adds cushioning under the clip if you're carrying a camera for long periods. Thanks so much for the suggestion. I've been using the Peak Design wrist strap/shoulder strap combo for a good while now. The quick-release attachment system is very clever.

I used a neoprene case for my Olympus EM-1 while on the CF this year. It flopped around and got a hole ripped into it by my walking pole hitting it a million times. Also my lens hood broke because I pulled the stretchy case off the camera a few hundred times too often. I'll be able to wear the clip&shell under a poncho - perfect. I missed a few great shots because I couldn't access my camera quickly enough in the rain.

I love my toys. Many thanks, Jon. Buen Camino, - Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I've checked the reviews on YouTube, will be getting the Capture Pro Clip and the Shell too. They make a pad which fits under the clip called the Pro Pad which adds cushioning under the clip if you're carrying a camera for long periods. Thanks so much for the suggestion. I've been using the Peak Design wrist strap/shoulder strap combo for a good while now. The quick-release attachment system is very clever.

I used a neoprene case for my Olympus EM-1 while on the CF this year. It flopped around and got a hole ripped into it by my walking pole hitting it a million times. Also my lens hood broke because I pulled the stretchy case off the camera a few hundred times too often. I'll be able to wear the clip&shell under a poncho - perfect. I missed a few great shots because I couldn't access my camera quickly enough in the rain.

I love my toys. Many thanks, Jon. Buen Camino, - Mike

Excellent! I think you'll find that it is a fantastic solution! Works great for me. I hope you enjoy it.

I have a full size Canon DLSR, but have taken my compact Canon due to weight and security. Not sure I want to take $5000.00 worth of camera stuff and feel like I have to watch it all the time.
I love doing landscape, low light photos, but travelling with my wife, I know it would drive her crazy with my set up for such shots, so my compact in set in AP mode suffices
I actually missed having a tripod, more than my full size camera, but now have modded one of my trekking poles to act as a monopod.
People are amazed with my photos and are equally amazed they were done with a cheap older Canon compact.
I have a water proof pouch that is connected to the front straps of my back pack so the camera is super accessible, so no issues getting it, to get the shot.
Anything is better than a camera in your phone.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have a full size Canon DLSR, but have taken my compact Canon due to weight and security. Not sure I want to take $5000.00 worth of camera stuff and feel like I have to watch it all the time.
I love doing landscape, low light photos, but travelling with my wife, I know it would drive her crazy with my set up for such shots, so my compact in set in AP mode suffices
I actually missed having a tripod, more than my full size camera, but now have modded one of my trekking poles to act as a monopod.
People are amazed with my photos and are equally amazed they were done with a cheap older Canon compact.
I have a water proof pouch that is connected to the front straps of my back pack so the camera is super accessible, so no issues getting it, to get the shot.
Anything is better than a camera in your phone.
My Olympus EM-1 and 2 zooms is worth about $5K. Very compact system - I always take this camera gear in my carry-on bag, so minimum paranoia. I used my iPhone camera occasionally but only for panoramas - very clever software at work there. I carried a Really Right Stuff tripod in a second bag which was sent ahead every day - only used it at night. Carried a small Octopus tripod in my pack. I had a full-frame Nikon D800E system but sold it early this year - almost never used it after getting into micro four-thirds. Heavy, bulky system out of the question for travel. Nikon has just laid off 10% of their employees, Sony rumoured to be buying Nikon. See some of my Camino shots at URL noted below this post.

Buen Camino, - Mike

I use a Peak Designs Capture Camera Clip whenever I hike. Actually for all my hikes except for the Camino. I actually listed to many of the people on this forum regarding camera weight, etc. Big mistake. Should have taken a real camera instead of a tiny pocket camera. Oh the pocket camera did a fine job for what it does, but its not a substitute for a quality camera.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this! I have been thinking the Peak Clip and Shell would be the solution for taking my Nikon D3300 on the Camino. It is a bit heavy but I plan to take only the kit lens.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Let me pile on another "me too" post, but the Peak Capture clip is a "must pack" for my future trips. On my recent Norte and Frances walk in October & Norvember, I was walking and photographing a book project and carried both a small mirrorless Fuji x100T and a full frame DSLR Canon 5D Mk III+ lenses. The Capture Clip was fastened to a backpack strap in different locations depending on the camera and lens used. It makes it very easy to quickly grab the camera and use it and then put it back where is is secure on the pack. I easily alternated between both cameras on the Capture Clip -- although a second plate would have made switching easier.

Let me share a couple of notes. With this, your cameras are out and exposed to the elements all day: heat, cold, mist, dust.

If attached to your back pack, take your pack off with care so you know where the camera will contact the ground or whatever you place your pack on.

The Capture Clip plate screws into your tripod mount threads on the base of the camera, the angle of the Clip and the direction your lens points on a DSLR with a zoom lens will either turn the plate tighter or loosen it. (If my paragraph makes sense?) So you may need to experiment to find the right position and placement to make it work best for you.

Final note, I carried a 16-35 f/4, a 50mm and a 70 - 300 f/4 and my project partner @BrettP carried a 5d mk III with a 24 - 105. Way more gear than most anyone would commonly carry, but it is possible.

A separate over-the-shoulder camera bag in combination with a Capture clip facilitates carrying your camera gear when you are away from your main backpack. Both Brett and I used bags similar to the Lowepro mentioned above.

Let me share a couple of notes. With this, your cameras are out and exposed to the elements all day: heat, cold, mist, dust.

Exactly. This is where The Shell comes in. I keep my lens cap on, and using a pro body, I've got some weatherproofing built into the lens and the camera. So, if the shell is on as well, I'm pretty happy with the protection that I've got and the camera is still kept close at hand. Indeed, shooting in some very very wet Ielandic weather was immensely easier with the Shell as aopposed to using plastic bags, or rain sleeves. I love that the capture clip fits right on my tripod too. So smart.

But yes, you MUST be aware of how you are placing your backpack on the ground... It'd be very easy to knock your camera pretty good!

What type of cushioned camera protection did you use on the Camino? Hoping to have something very compact that fits in my backpack.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Maisy, I used a bag similar in size, style and price to a Lowe Pro Toploader. My bag was made by a company no longer in business.

The advantage to that size/ style is that you can tuck it into your main back pack, you can take it out easily if you choose to check your back pack on your flight but keep your camera close. I was carrying two cameras, one inside the bag and the other on the Peak Capture Clip.

You could do the same with a belt pack/waist pack and water bottle pockets can do alternate duty as lens holders.

What I found was it took a few days to find the right balance of what gear rode where?...but after that it was a very comfortable walk and the cameras were both easy to access and use without having to stop walking. JRM's recommendation for the Shell is next my to-buy list.

Enjoy your camino planning and your camino.

Fritz

What type of cushioned camera protection did you use on the Camino? Hoping to have something very compact that fits in my backpack.

Maisy, one thing you can do, is lookup "Camera Bag Insert" on Amazon. IT will return various little padded inserts that you can place in your backpack specifically for camera storage and organization. There's all kinds, sizes, and arrangements depending on what you need. In the past, I've even cut up an old blue closed-cell foam camping mat and used some hot glue to glue it together and make a small insert to protect a camera. Anything in a pinch I guess! Good luck!

Anyone used a compact system camera with a Peak Design Capture Clip and Shell cover? Had a look at this product which seems an ideal solution to easily carry my Olympus Lite E-PL3 with a long telephoto lens attached, however this is a much lighter camera than some of the examples here and I wonder if the clip and shell cover is overkill. If so, anyone know any other solutions they have found work well? Good thread.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@CaptNoglos I did a quick online search and your Olympus is a bit narrower and thinner than my Fuji x100T - and lighter.. but maybe this photo will help. The clip is not overkill the company says the Capture Pro weighs 140 gms with the standard plate. The plate mounts in the tripod threads on the base of your camera. With a telephoto lens, you may experiment a bit to find the compatible orientation both in the Peak Clip and on what you strap the clip to (backpack, waist belt, camera bag strap...) (if that makes sense?) I prefer the lens to point down -- but in some positions it wears easier with the lens horizontal and parallel to the ground.

Since the base plate is square, it will slide into the clip in any of 4 orientations (lens pointing down, left, up, or right.) I did a quick photo of the clip, plate, and the Fuji x100t for a size comparison. DSC_0029.JPG

@CaptNoglos I did a quick online search and your Olympus is a bit narrower and thinner than my Fuji x100T - and lighter.. but maybe this photo will help. The clip is not overkill the company says the Capture Pro weighs 140 gms with the standard plate. The plate mounts in the tripod threads on the base of your camera. With a telephoto lens, you may experiment a bit to find the compatible orientation both in the Peak Clip and on what you strap the clip to (backpack, waist belt, camera bag strap...) (if that makes sense?) I prefer the lens to point down -- but in some positions it wears easier with the lens horizontal and parallel to the ground.

Since the base plate is square, it will slide into the clip in any of 4 orientations (lens pointing down, left, up, or right.) I did a quick photo of the clip, plate, and the Fuji x100t for a size comparison. View attachment 30981

That's really helpful, thanks for doing a bit of research as well. Leaning towards getting the clip to mount the camera pointing down on to the rucksack, especially if I have attached the telephoto. The shell cover, and belt attachment also looks like a good idea for protection and flexibility. We will be doing some training walks over the coming months as well, so that will be a good opportunity to test the kit with and without a rucksack, using a belt.

Hello all,

-jon
Thanks for these recommendations. Just bought both for my trip starting later this month.

Any recommendations on placement based on the impact on walking ergonomics? I have a Nikon D810 and planning smaller lenses generally (wide angle, a prime and a perhaps a 18-200). I can't decide where the right placement should be exactly. Curious what you settled on.

Thanks for these recommendations. Just bought both for my trip starting later this month.

Any recommendations on placement based on the impact on walking ergonomics? I have a Nikon D810 and planning smaller lenses generally (wide angle, a prime and a perhaps a 18-200). I can't decide where the right placement should be exactly. Curious what you settled on.
The best place for me was on my left backpack shoulder strap. It ended up sitting about 3-4 inches below the top of my shoulder. Depending on the thickness of your strap, you may need to compress it a bit to get the clip on there, but it worked great for me. I hiked with either a 16-35 or a 24-70 on it mot of the time. For a few areas I hiked with the 70-200 attached. No problems. I personally would avoid the belt option as I hate the feeling of something tugging at my pants.. and then having the camera and lens knocking against my leg would be a no-go.

OK, tis done. Ordered clip + shell and pad for my compact system camera, thanks for all the advice.

OK, tis done. Ordered clip + shell and pad for my compact system camera, thanks for all the advice.
I haven't yet ordered my Peak Design clip/pad/shell set, will certainly do so. Some cameras are weather-sealed which makes the whole exercise a bit easier - my Olympus EM-1 and the lenses I travel with are all weather-sealed. Also dust-proof. E.G., If you get salt water splashed onto the gear you can pour fresh water all over the camera+lens and rinse it off.

I've just received an Altus poncho from Pamplona, will have my Olympus EM-1 clipped on my left pack strap - under the poncho in bad weather.

I used to have a Nikon D800E but sold it when I got into mirrorless. I wonder if a large heavy camera like the D810 plus a zoom lens will flop around on the clip? That sounds like a bit of a load over many hours, day in, day out. @bradwilliamses please post later and let us know how you go with your setup.

Buen Camino, - Mike

I used to have a Nikon D800E but sold it when I got into mirrorless. I wonder if a large heavy camera like the D810 plus a zoom lens will flop around on the clip? That sounds like a bit of a load over many hours, day in, day out. @bradwilliamses please post later and let us know how you go with your setup.

Buen Camino, - Mike

That's exactly what I was wondering. I'm interested in hearing how it works out for you @bradwilliamses

That's exactly what I was wondering. I'm interested in hearing how it works out for you @bradwilliamses
I haven't yet ordered my Peak Design clip/pad/shell set, will certainly do so. Some cameras are weather-sealed which makes the whole exercise a bit easier - my Olympus EM-1 and the lenses I travel with are all weather-sealed. Also dust-proof. E.G., If you get salt water splashed onto the gear you can pour fresh water all over the camera+lens and rinse it off.

I've just received an Altus poncho from Pamplona, will have my Olympus EM-1 clipped on my left pack strap - under the poncho in bad weather.

Buen Camino, - Mike

This is exactly what I was wondering too @alaskadiver and @Mike Trebert . My camera is big enough that I'm unclear on how this will impact things, but I really feel that without making it accessable the number of pictures I take/times I use it will decline significantly...

I'll be out there shortly and will update you all on how it goes alone the way.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks @bradwilliamseas . It's great to hear about others experiences and tips. Enjoy the clip. As an over simplification, the camera and lens movement is based on how much movement there is in the strap it is attached too. On a purse or messenger bag, it all moves much more than when secure on your backpack strap with your pack belt cinched.

On a hip belt, copy the cowboys with their 6 -shooters in the western movies and mount it on your outer hip....but caution, the camera will hit lots of gate posts, doorways, and pilgrims in tight spaces :(

Buen Camino, - Mike
Yes, I wondered what would happen with a larger camera. The Peak Design website suggests that you could stabilise a camera under the chest strap. Perhaps a clue, and certainly not ideal in my view. I ordered the small Shell as a cover, and then got worried it would be too small for my compact with a large telephoto attached. I should not have worried, it works perfectly and provides good cover. Off walking this weekend, so the kit will get a trial.

This is exactly what I was wondering too @alaskadiver and @Mike Trebert . My camera is big enough that I'm unclear on how this will impact things, but I really feel that without making it accessable the number of pictures I take/times I use it will decline significantly...

I'll be out there shortly and will update you all on how it goes alone the way.

I've used the clip with many variations of camera... on the Camino withe mirrorless and small pancake lens, hiking with a mirrorless and an EF-24-70 attached, full frame DSLR with a variety of lenses, and finally full frame DSLR and EF 70-200. At all times it was attached to my backpack strap. It felt very stable each time. Sure ,the full-frame and 70-200 was heavier, but it c didn't flop around. With a big setup like that, I prefer to place the mounting plate on the lens itself as that is closer to the camera's center of gravity at that point. Hope it works out well for you! Good luck!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've used the clip with many variations of camera... on the Camino withe mirrorless and small pancake lens, hiking with a mirrorless and an EF-24-70 attached, full frame DSLR with a variety of lenses, and finally full frame DSLR and EF 70-200. At all times it was attached to my backpack strap. It felt very stable each time. Sure ,the full-frame and 70-200 was heavier, but it c didn't flop around. With a big setup like that, I prefer to place the mounting plate on the lens itself as that is closer to the camera's center of gravity at that point. Hope it works out well for you! Good luck!
I've now used my new clip across last weekend with a much smaller compact camera, and can now say, what an excellent bit of kit. The camera was held firmly, no swinging (wouldn't expect it with a compact anyway). The shell cover worked perfectly. If anyone is following this thread and undecided, then I can recommend you purchase.

I've now used my new clip across last weekend with a much smaller compact camera, and can now say, what an excellent bit of kit. The camera was held firmly, no swinging (wouldn't expect it with a compact anyway). The shell cover worked perfectly. If anyone is following this thread and undecided, then I can recommend you purchase.
That's awesome! Glad it worked! Isn't it a great piece of gear?

That's awesome! Glad it worked! Isn't it a great piece of gear?

Absolutely stunning. Really impressed how well it held the camera. You just have to be careful taking your rucksack on and off. Expensive, but worth it. Walking again this coming weekend, so will set it up again. It was a bit of a damp (fog, lying snow and mist) weekend before last, so for part of the walk I did take it off and put it in the bag. Having the shell cover on gave it the protection it needed.

Absolutely stunning. Really impressed how well it held the camera. You just have to be careful taking your rucksack on and off. Expensive, but worth it. Walking again this coming weekend, so will set it up again. It was a bit of a damp (fog, lying snow and mist) weekend before last, so for part of the walk I did take it off and put it in the bag. Having the shell cover on gave it the protection it needed.
@jrm, @bradwilliamseas, @alaskadiver - Today I received my Peak Design Capture Pro clip. I also got the Pro pad which fits under the packstrap and cushions the "load". Not much of a load! My little Olympus EM-1 (with zoom attached) just sits there feeling almost weightless. Loving it, so very convenient/efficient. Also got the Soft Shell - Medium size is perfect for the smallish EM-1. The negligible weight of the camera is more than balanced by the weight of the pack hanging off the back. Also, I'll carry my water bottle in the outside pocket on the opposite side to the camera to compensate a bit and maybe do my back a tiny favour. P.S. - I saw so many people with badly adjusted pack straps! I checked/adjusted mine every morning to make sure the pack was up close to my back.

The only cons: I wouldn't want to take my pack off and put it down with the camera attached to the clip. Camera or more likely, lens, might get dinged as gravity does its thing to the liberated pack strap/camera load. I'll do a road test with my camera neck strap attached to camera while camera in clip so I can just unclip and let camera hang from strap while taking pack off. That'll be interesting in rain and cold with poncho+gloves (my new Altus poncho doesn't have pockets). Also, annoyingly, I've had to remove my L-bracket while clip-attachment plate is on camera. So will have to swap in order to use tripod (but that's almost always at night anyway). Pro-clip plate will attach to tripod for horizontal but not for vertical format shots. Extra inconvenience carrying/juggling additional tiny bits of camera gubbins.

Bottom line: I won't miss so many shots.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
@jrm, @bradwilliamseas, @alaskadiver - Today I received my Peak Design Capture Pro clip. I also got the Pro pad which fits under the packstrap and cushions the "load". Not much of a load! My little Olympus EM-1 (with zoom attached) just sits there feeling almost weightless. Loving it, so very convenient/efficient. Also got the Soft Shell - Medium size is perfect for the smallish EM-1. The negligible weight of the camera is more than balanced by the weight of the pack hanging off the back. Also, I'll carry my water bottle in the outside pocket on the opposite side to the camera to compensate a bit and maybe do my back a tiny favour. P.S. - I saw so many people with badly adjusted pack straps! I adjusted mine every morning to make sure the pack was up close to my back.

The only cons: I wouldn't want to take my pack off and put it down with the camera attached to the clip. Camera or more likely, lens, might get dinged as gravity does its thing to the liberated pack strap/camera load. I'll do a road test with my camera neck strap attached to camera while camera in clip so I can just unclip and let camera hang from Strap while taking pack off. That'll be interesting in rain and cold with poncho. Also, annoyingly, I've had to remove my L-bracket while clip-attachment plate is on camera. So will have to swap in order to use tripod (but that's almost always at night anyway). Pro-clip plate will attach to tripod for horizontal but not for vertical format shots. Extra inconvenience carrying additional tiny bits of camera gubbins.

Mike
Excellent review. I appreciate the details Mike. Keep us posted as your technique develops please.

Irene

@jrm, @bradwilliamseas, @alaskadiver - Today I received my Peak Design Capture Pro clip. I also got the Pro pad which fits under the packstrap and cushions the "load". Not much of a load! My little Olympus EM-1 (with zoom attached) just sits there feeling almost weightless. Loving it, so very convenient/efficient. Also got the Soft Shell - Medium size is perfect for the smallish EM-1. The negligible weight of the camera is more than balanced by the weight of the pack hanging off the back. Also, I'll carry my water bottle in the outside pocket on the opposite side to the camera to compensate a bit and maybe do my back a tiny favour. P.S. - I saw so many people with badly adjusted pack straps! I checked/adjusted mine every morning to make sure the pack was up close to my back.

The only cons: I wouldn't want to take my pack off and put it down with the camera attached to the clip. Camera or more likely, lens, might get dinged as gravity does its thing to the liberated pack strap/camera load. I'll do a road test with my camera neck strap attached to camera while camera in clip so I can just unclip and let camera hang from strap while taking pack off. That'll be interesting in rain and cold with poncho+gloves (my new Altus poncho doesn't have pockets). Also, annoyingly, I've had to remove my L-bracket while clip-attachment plate is on camera. So will have to swap in order to use tripod (but that's almost always at night anyway). Pro-clip plate will attach to tripod for horizontal but not for vertical format shots. Extra inconvenience carrying/juggling additional tiny bits of camera gubbins.

Mike

Don't you just love it? I bought the same kit, clip, pad, shell and had a similar experience with my Olympus Pen. Same decision on taking the rucksack off, it's important to take care, or remove the camera first. I have just added a set of anchor links, so that they fit through the shell, and the camera strap can simply be hooked on and off. I wondered if there might be too many straps about if I left the straps attached to the camera, whilst in the clip.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Mike

Yeah, you've got to keep an eye out for where the camera is when you put your bag down, but for me, that ws a small piece to pay for the convenience.. this not to say I didn't give the camera a few good hits the first few times! Hone I travel I completely change my tripod setup so I can specifically use the arca swiss plate with a ball head for my vertical and horizontal shots. I can see how the would be difficult with an L bracket. Thanks for bringing your thoughts to the thread!

Don't you just love it? I bought the same kit, clip, pad, shell and had a similar experience with my Olympus Pen. Same decision on taking the rucksack off, it's important to take care, or remove the camera first. I have just added a set of anchor links, so that they fit through the shell, and the camera strap can simply be hooked on and off. I wondered if there might be too many straps about if I left the straps attached to the camera, whilst in the clip.

I thought about leaving a strap attached... but deemed it was too many things to get tangled up in for me... I'd love to hear how that works for you!

So day 4 of the camino and I have nothing but good things to say about this clip system. Doesn't bother me at all and we've been doing some serious long days. So glad I bought this!!
Yes! This is probably the most useful piece of camera gear I've picked up in a long time.

@jrm: "I completely change my tripod setup so I can specifically use the arca swiss plate with a ball head for my vertical and horizontal shots. I can see how the would be difficult with an L bracket. Thanks for bringing your thoughts to the thread!"

I can use my RR Stuff ball head with the camera in the vertical position, but finding that notch and getting the rig all lined up can be a hassle. I bought an L bracket to avoid all that in the first place. Shooting vertical with the Peak Design Arca Swiss plate is doable and I'll probably put up with the relatively small hassle because the clip solves so many other problems.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yeah, you've got to keep an eye out for where the camera is when you put your bag down, but for me, that ws a small piece to pay for the convenience.. this not to say I didn't give the camera a few good hits the first few times! Hone I travel I completely change my tripod setup so I can specifically use the arca swiss plate with a ball head for my vertical and horizontal shots. I can see how the would be difficult with an L bracket. Thanks for bringing your thoughts to the thread!

I thought about leaving a strap attached... but deemed it was too many things to get tangled up in for me... I'd love to hear how that works for you!

Yes! This is probably the most useful piece of camera gear I've picked up in a long time.
Strap gets in the way a bit, I found that anchor points are more useful as a method of using the shell, whilst also using a strap.

I left my strap on, not too big of a deal. Also now 9 days in and many days of driving rain and wind and the cover had kept my camera dry. All in all, completely happy wih this system!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.